How many of you ACTUALLY overland with your 80s or 60s

You are not alone in your observation. The Toyota Land Cruiser has indeed gained popularity among collectors and enthusiasts, which has driven up the prices of both the vehicles and their parts. Additionally, as newer vehicles with advanced technology and features become available, some people may choose to move on to newer platforms instead of investing in older vehicles. However, there are still many people who use Land Cruisers as expedition vehicles and appreciate their reliability and off-road capabilities. Ultimately, the decision to invest in an older Land Cruiser for expedition purposes depends on individual preferences, budget, and intended use.
They are everywhere:rolleyes:
Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 09-00-47 ZeroGPT - Chat GPT Open AI and AI text detector Free Tool.png

MOAK

Adventurer
Me.
I bought and restored mine almost 20 years ago as a Missouri hunting and Colorado/Utah exploring rig (no Overlanding back then just wheeling and camping). Have over 100k miles of back country on it and Still have and use it now that I live in the Rockies. 60's are not new or fast. Parts are still available but, mechanics that know how to work on a overly emissioned, fuel sucking carb tractor motor are harder to find so most modern drivers pass on such a vehicle. I've reconfigured mine several times over the past 20 years and am currently prepping it for a summer of exploring Moab and camping/sleeping inside versus RR or ground tent so, that's a fun aspect about having an older truck you can play with.

Cheers and goodluck in whatever you decide to do.
View attachment 770508View attachment 770509View attachment 770510View attachment 770511View attachment 770512
Nice; really nice 60

MOAK

Adventurer
Our 80 heads west a couple times a year along with the random Appalachia camping trips. It’s not a daily driver any longer, but still we manage to put 12-15 thousand miles on each year. This Summer we are headed to the Arctic Ocean, then back south and over to Alaska. All told about a 12 thousand mile round trip. With 357,000 miles on the drivetrain it’s still going strong. If the engine or transmission ever fail, it’ll be rebuilt and we will continue on. I’ve been offered a hefty price for it, but what would I get to replace it? ( maybe a 70 but highly unlikely )
When one considers the poor fuel mileage, the maintenance and the prospect of someday maybe having to rebuild the drivetrain, the 80 series, for us, still wins against modern vehicles hands down. A new vehicle is Not even a consideration. Some mentioned all of these things as a reason to go with new modern vehicles. Nope- I look at it like this- a car payment would be what? 3-400 a month or more, but I’ll just go with 400 for giggles- that’ll get me about 1200 +/- miles down the road, or a complete new drivetrain every six years. Comfort? These newly restored LX450 seats are still very comfortable. I’ll tell ya what, there will be 3 in our little group this summer, my 96’ 80 series, a friends 94’ 80 series and a Modern Chevy Colorado diesel. Guess which vehicle we are more concerned about finishing the trip without a kerfuffle?
84769D6B-55E6-46B4-9134-FB182D32B1BA.jpegE48935E4-FF10-41E3-A719-C10E53AD19B2.jpeg

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The 100 series is the same way- a lot of parts are getting hard to come by, low mileage examples don’t exist anymore unless you want to shell out big bucks.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I’ve wanted a Land Cruiser ever since I did my first Pre Delivery Inspection on a 60 way back in 1986 at the dealer I worked at then. Left there for a while and have been at a Toyota dealer again for the past 21 years. Still don’t have my Land Cruisers. Have ahead a 2nd gen 4runner and currently have a 3rd & 4th gen runner. I look at high priced Cruisers all the time, but part of me thinks they only asking crazy high just to see what it may bring. I’ve had my eye on a pretty nice looking 60 for $15k. It’s been on market place for 2 months now. The really nice ones probably are bringing pretty big, but not sure about the lower to mid level ones. That all said, the 4th gen is completely stock daily for the wife, 3rd gen standard 3rd gen stuff, 3 inch left and 285s. The 3rd gen mainly just get driven on occasion now and local camping or trail riding. I commute a Corolla. The 4th gen is the traveling rig now. So much more comfortable. V8 Limited. Can’t beat it. New shocks soon,but no lift. Maybe some BFGs.

T-Willy

I still use an 80 camper to get into more remote corners of Baja each year, and for several remote camping trips stateside each year too.

I wish there were a modern replacement for the 80, but there really isn't. Aside from the new Defender, which I wouldn't trust with remote travel, there isn't a modern four wheel drive wagon sold in North America with the 80's payload, cargo volume and off road chops. 4Runner comes closest. I wish Ford would just make a basic wagon top the SWB F-150 chassis.

85_Ranger4x4

I still use an 80 camper to get into more remote corners of Baja each year, and for several remote camping trips stateside each year too.

I wish there were a modern replacement for the 80, but there really isn't. Aside from the new Defender, which I wouldn't trust with remote travel, there isn't a modern four wheel drive wagon sold in North America with the 80's payload, cargo volume and off road chops. 4Runner comes closest. I wish Ford would just make a basic wagon top the SWB F-150 chassis.

Kinda hard to spitball after the fact but I think they have changed how they figure payload/towing between here and there too.

But the sticker is the law of the land so is what is at this point, as far as real world payload I don't know if a lot of the older rigs would be rated the same vs their more modern counterparts if they were to be rated today.

My wife's Bronco has bigger better everything than my '85 but my Ranger is rated to tow 1000lbs more and crushes it for payload.

Neither here nor there since it isn't a Land Cruiser but I really enjoy driving my 80's iron.

Wc203

There is no modern replacement to the 80, with its simplicity . The only comparable rig would be a 4runner , Tacoma , or FJ cruiser . But nothing compares to them , granted the 80 isn’t half as comfortable as a new rig.. nice to see there’s still people ACTUALLY using them . I have a 4Bt swapped 80 that I’ve been building for extended travel , but have been using the FJ cruiser lately

Wc203

Our 80 heads west a couple times a year along with the random Appalachia camping trips. It’s not a daily driver any longer, but still we manage to put 12-15 thousand miles on each year. This Summer we are headed to the Arctic Ocean, then back south and over to Alaska. All told about a 12 thousand mile round trip. With 357,000 miles on the drivetrain it’s still going strong. If the engine or transmission ever fail, it’ll be rebuilt and we will continue on. I’ve been offered a hefty price for it, but what would I get to replace it? ( maybe a 70 but highly unlikely )
When one considers the poor fuel mileage, the maintenance and the prospect of someday maybe having to rebuild the drivetrain, the 80 series, for us, still wins against modern vehicles hands down. A new vehicle is Not even a consideration. Some mentioned all of these things as a reason to go with new modern vehicles. Nope- I look at it like this- a car payment would be what? 3-400 a month or more, but I’ll just go with 400 for giggles- that’ll get me about 1200 +/- miles down the road, or a complete new drivetrain every six years. Comfort? These newly restored LX450 seats are still very comfortable. I’ll tell ya what, there will be 3 in our little group this summer, my 96’ 80 series, a friends 94’ 80 series and a Modern Chevy Colorado diesel. Guess which vehicle we are more concerned about finishing the trip without a kerfuffle?
View attachment 776191View attachment 776192
You definitely need to travel update post on this trip! Any other posts about this rig?

MOAK

Adventurer
You definitely need to travel update post on this trip! Any other posts about this rig?
No, not many posts about the truck, it is what it is. Slightly modified with Slee bumpers & sliders, and an OME suspension that ( Australia GVWR Laws ) gets us up to about a 7,300 lb GVWR. I’ve a couple of stories published in a hobby magazine, and photos, but that’s too much like work, so it’s been 5 or 6 years since then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998