How many of you ACTUALLY overland with your 80s or 60s

concretejungle

Adventurer
I think you are just "thinking this".

My 80 is pretty much my overland and camping rig, period. I've had it for a long time and love it. So many memories made in that truck.

I'm now at a point in life that I'm over the hard core off roading. I'm very lucky to have done some of it (all of Moab, rubicon trail, Grand Canyon north rim, canyon lands, hole in the rock, ect..) and made great friends and memories, but I'm tired of that and really enjoy the remote camp spots with great bottles of wine and great dinners around a camp fire.

MOAK

Adventurer
Depends on your requirements of a replacement.....if you are ok transitioning to a pickup there are options that are arguably better in a number of ways that are not much more complicated.

You have the more modern 100/200 platforms while more complicated have proven very reliable and again, are arguably a better option in NA....
Just read this today. Once anyone actually uses a wagon for overlanding, they become acutely aware of the shortcomings of a pick up truck, unless you step up to a full size with SFA. Even then, one is very limited with a full size and about the only way to make the living/sleeping/ kit area dust & dirt proof is to install a camper. I’ve shopped, I’ve researched, I’ve looked with open eyes. As long as we are living outside at camp I’ll keep the 80. When we start to think about a camper, then chances are I’d choose an e350, provided the horrible Farmall engine has been reworked and bullet proofed.

nickw

Adventurer
Just read this today. Once anyone actually uses a wagon for overlanding, they become acutely aware of the shortcomings of a pick up truck, unless you step up to a full size with SFA. Even then, one is very limited with a full size and about the only way to make the living/sleeping/ kit area dust & dirt proof is to install a camper. I’ve shopped, I’ve researched, I’ve looked with open eyes. As long as we are living outside at camp I’ll keep the 80. When we start to think about a camper, then chances are I’d choose an e350, provided the horrible Farmall engine has been reworked and bullet proofed.
Campers are an option - it does seem like many of the Aus guys are doing the pickup thing w/Trayback. But there are number of shells like the commercial toppers that can be made dust proof and are very secure, some with barn doors.

You lost me at e350 and Farmall engine....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
They don't make vehicles like they used to!

I sure am glad of that!

Times have changed!

The newest 60 is 31 years old. The newest 80 is 26 years old. EDIT worldwide according to Wikipedia.

When I started driving in the early 1970's my first car was a 1963 Galaxie XL R code convertible with 80K miles that my parents bought new. Now realize in the early 1970's the Arab Oil Embargo doubled the price of gas from $0.30/gallon to $0.60/gallon and that Ford got 7 MPG no matter how you drove it. At that time the car might have been worth $300-$500 at most! That's for an 11 year old car with 80K miles. Nobody wanted the car other than ME!

Today I have a lot of vehicles with my primary driver vehicle being a 1999 Suburban K2500 4WD that I paid $1000 for it with 135K miles on it 3 1/2 years ago. Yes a BARGAIN!

Think about it. In HS in the early 1970's I drove an 11 year old car with 80K miles. In 2023 I drive a 24 year old truck with 156K miles that I would drive anywhere across country at a moments notice.

The same can be said for 80's and 60's. They are OLD, not that reliable, not a all comfortable, more difficult to find folks to repair them, parts are more difficult to source and fuel mileage is TERRIBLE! Sounds just like my 1963 Ford Galaxie XL convertible back in the early 1970's.

My Suburban although not that much newer is far superior in so many ways to the old 80's and 60's as it is built with more modern technology, just as capable for my needs, far better comfort and better fuel mileage. What's not to like?

ALL the OEM's redesigned ALL their models between 1998 and 2005 using more modern design and assembly technology. The result are vehicles that are SIGNIFICANTLY more reliable, more comfortable, more durable and with better fuel economy on average.

I have a 1992 Land Cruiser. Neat truck but No Way am I going to Overland that truck here in the USA when there are so many better choices for the way I like to travel.
Same my 93 was a cream puff city wife car when I bought it. I fixed all the old
80 stuff did 4 long trips in it and that was it. Did only around town stuff with it as a fun old local car. Sold it because I needed a bigger big trip rig with more range, superior safety and comfort. Even in 2010 some parts were tricky to find

MOAK

Adventurer
Campers are an option - it does seem like many of the Aus guys are doing the pickup thing w/Trayback. But there are number of shells like the commercial toppers that can be made dust proof and are very secure, some with barn doors.

You lost me at e350 and Farmall engine....
The years long string ( about 2006 to present) of very bad ford diesel engines in the e350 ford vans and F350 ( and larger) trucks were built by the International Harvester Corporation- IH, the same company that still builds International Trucks. IH also built Farmall Tractors from the early 20s into the mid 70s.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The years long string ( about 2006 to present) of very bad ford diesel engines in the e350 ford vans and F350 ( and larger) trucks were built by the International Harvester Corporation- IH, the same company that still builds International Trucks. IH also built Farmall Tractors from the early 20s into the mid 70s.
International quit selling the school bus engines to Ford in 2010, in 2011 Fors starting using the 6.7 built by themselves- its a much better engine.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
2018 trip to Deadhorse Alaska and Tuk Canada

Here is a link to my three part article in TCT magazine about this 90 day 13,000 mile trip.

Attachments

• Tuk (2).jpg
    Tuk (2).jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Deadhorse FJ60.jpg
    Deadhorse FJ60.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180702_120912092_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180702_120912092_HDR.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 16

Wc203

Same my 93 was a cream puff city wife car when I bought it. I fixed all the old
80 stuff did 4 long trips in it and that was it. Did only around town stuff with it as a fun old local car. Sold it because I needed a bigger big trip rig with more range, superior safety and comfort. Even in 2010 some parts were tricky to find
Believe it or not even finding parts for new Toyotas is a PITA , and there’s enough aftermarket support to find 80 parts most places . I’ve seen shops wait months for correct parts for new vehicles

concretejungle

Adventurer
The last two years I've wondered if I could even sell my 80, especially when they are fetching top dollar. But, kind of repeating myself from my above post, the memories in this truck are off the charts. I've had it and slowly built it up for over 23 years. Every dent, scratch, upgrade and repair is a fond memory. It's literally a rolling scrap book! "she" has never left me stranded, kept me safe and dry, brought me home each and every time. I kind of feel an emotional attachment to my 80 and selling it would be like a bad divorce.

Arktikos

Explorer
How many miles round trip?
About 2500. The driving itinerary only, punctuated by overnights, was: Haines, AK to Haines Junction, YT. Haines Junction to Tok, AK. Tok to Anchorage via the Tok cutoff and Glenn highway. Anchorage to Seward. Seward to Homer for 2 nights. Homer to Anchorage, dropped off my wife, then on to Hatcher Pass via Wasilla to a campground. Hatcher Pass to Denali highway, with camping off road on far end of this highway. The following day it was the Richardson highway and Alaska highway back to Tok, continuing on to Haines Junction. This was the longest day of driving, with a significant stretch of road construction right before the Canadian border. Haines Junction to Haines.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I feel like the market of land cruisers has changed to sort of a collectors vehicle and not so much an expedition vehicle? With the cost of parts and rigs these days , seems like most people are just moving on to newer platforms and either letting their 80s sit or selling them on BAT or am I the only one that thinks this ?
It has changed...!!!
(weak sauce).... Thanks..!!
I drive mine on a weekly basis...
It keeps me feeling young:LOL:
I modded mine to suit my needs wants..
I think it still a TOYOTA
It has helped my explore the Western USA/CANADA, NWT & ALASKA.
Sure, it has broken down and sure parts are hard to come by, but you going in knowing this..
It's part of the culture...
Love the way it rides...
Love the look
Love the way it feels..
How do you put a $$ on that...
1709536029828.png

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170630_100609.jpg
    20170630_100609.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010463_3.JPG
    P1010463_3.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180527_143708.jpg
    20180527_143708.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180711_140020.jpg
    20180711_140020.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Been too busy to do any real traveling this year with my 60...mainly Club meetings and the occasional run down the mountain for stuff. One of my main concerns over the last couple of years has been the theft of these old trucks in the Denver/Front Range area of Colorado. IMG_5805.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online