How to carry more fuel?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I cant/wont commit to a date yet, but i AM going to be doing another AUX TANK GROUP by soon.

These will be the LONG RANGER brand from OZ, same as last time.

PM for details.

K

hoser

Explorer
Brian894x4 said:
I tried to get MAF's 24 gallon tank last week, but someone else got it. They only had one left and Steve was checking to see if they were actually going to take it. After numerous calls checking back in, it appears that it did sell. Darn it!
Try http://motorcare.com.au/

They carry LRA tanks (same one MAF sells) and will ship to the US. The price might even be less since the tank is only shipped once.

alia176

Explorer
Scott,

Why not get creative and just build one or buy one that may fit in the space? It's nice to have a dual filler neck with the perfect aux tank and all that but it's simple to have someone just build one or go buy one from JC whitney or the like. As far as the filler neck, run it out the wheel well (like you see in older P.U. trucks) until you can score a dual filler neck. Carrying fuel on top or in the rear just doesn't have to happen if people can get creative with their money!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
You can count me in bro on that group buy. I've been waiting patiently for this to come around again.;)

Boston Mangler said:
I cant/wont commit to a date yet, but i AM going to be doing another AUX TANK GROUP by soon.

These will be the LONG RANGER brand from OZ, same as last time.

PM for details.

K

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Brian894x4 said:
I tried to get MAF's 24 gallon tank last week, but someone else got it. They only had one left and Steve was checking to see if they were actually going to take it. After numerous calls checking back in, it appears that it did sell. Darn it!

Woa, i was this close to ordering that too. I was on the phone with Steve ordering something else and almost added it. I knew it would go fast. Im gonna hold out for the Long Ranger.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Can anyone tell me the differences between the tanks MAF sells and the Long Ranger, besides capacity?

I hearing that the MAF tanks may be lesser quality. If I understood Steve correctly, the MAF tank, which I guess is a Long Range Automotive tank...so confusing with similiar names...comes with the long sought after Toyota duel filler neck, and all the stuff needed to install. It also looks pretty easy to install the hoses and pump and I liked the fact that the switch comes with a little simple fuel gauge on it.

I don't ever expect to need more than 24 extra gallons and in fact, I'd actually rather have the factory subtank and locate the spare in the stock location, but I know that's not going to happen.

But if anyone could provide any advantages or disadvantages between the two different makers of tanks, besides capacity, and what parts come with them, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I dont think there is a advantage one over the other. They're just fuel tanks. I do like how the MAF comes with everything you need. That is a plus for sure. But i rather carry a boatload of fuel instead and work on tracking the parts down... i have too much time on my hands anyways.

hoser

Explorer
After some research, I concluded both, Long Range Automotive (LRA) and Long Ranger (LR) were quality tanks. I've read complaints about Brown Davis and 4WDsystems tanks. The LRA and LR tanks are both made of 2mm aluminized steel and MIG welded. The LR tanks are also sold as ARB.

LRA is supposedly OEM on Australian's GMH vehicles, which probably means they've gone through some standard of testing. One nice thing about LRA is they are willing to customize your tank. You can have an additional metal plate welded to the bottom or you can have the mounts welded 1" lower if you had say a 1" body lift.

Like you said, LR doesn't have an "export" version which includes everything needed for install. I ended up going with LRA. If I needed a larger tank, I'd go with the 44 gallon LR over the 34 gallon LRA as it looks like it tucks up nicer. LR also makes a nice 122L fuel/55L water Combo tank for the 100 series that's pretty slick.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Brian894x4 said:
Can anyone tell me the differences between the tanks MAF sells and the Long Ranger, besides capacity?

Do some advanced searches on IH8Mud. There was a huge discussion on this very topic awhile ago.

Basically the 28 or whatever gallon REPLACEMENT tank that replaced the stock tank was a bad design and rigs with lifts that were used offroad would move enough that the driveshaft would contact it! :oops:

I also remember another member mentioning he split his seams on the AUX tank version after hitting it on a rock. Search hard enough and you will find the thread. I dont wanna spread bogus info, but that was one of the main reasons people shyed away from them. I know that is the reason i spent almost 2x as much getting mine from Long Ranger in OZ! :D

Brian894x4 said:
If I understood Steve correctly, the MAF tank, which I guess is a Long Range Automotive tank...so confusing with similiar names...comes with the long sought after Toyota duel filler neck,

Yes and no, i had a friend of mine call awhile back and was told that they had everything for the install BUT the neck! My buddy passed and held out for the Long Ranger!

Brian894x4 said:
It also looks pretty easy to install the hoses and pump and I liked the fact that the switch comes with a little simple fuel gauge on it.

This is another thing i did NOT like about the MAF version, They use an oldball sending unit that cant be rigged up to the stock gauge or the super slick overhead gauge like i got because of the different OHM readings. Sure, you could probably do some electrical magic and convert it, but i didnt like this part of it. What if the MAF sending unit or gauge dies? Then what? They dont sell replacements! I wanted my install to be all top notch TOYOTA OEM stuff! :safari-rig:

Brian894x4 said:
I don't ever expect to need more than 24 extra gallons and in fact, I'd actually rather have the factory subtank and locate the spare in the stock location, but I know that's not going to happen.

Eh, you will be surprised man! First the stock Aux tank is too little gain for WAY too much work in my opinion. This is by far one of the most labor intensive mods i have done and wouldnt even consider doing it for something that could be accomplished with 2 jerry cans! Thats of course, my opinion!

Second, having the 44 gallon capacity kicksass when the fuel prices flucuating so much, i fill it to the brim when i pass a low priced station! Save a ton that way!

Brian894x4 said:
, and what parts come with them, I'd sure appreciate it..

The Long Ranger requires more leg work to install and collect the parts, but in my opinion is the best option!

Thats my .02

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
There is also a company called OPPOSITE LOCK that makes some cool and good quality Aux tanks as well!

And of course, they are based in OZ! :(

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
hoser said:
Like you said, LR doesn't have an "export" version which includes everything needed for install. .

They do, but the price is INSANELY expensive!

I priced it out when we did the last buy and they wanted stupid $ for all of the parts!

hoser said:
If I needed a larger tank, I'd go with the 44 gallon LR over the 34 gallon LRA as it looks like it tucks up nicer.

Yes it does! That alone shows me LR's attention to detal and craftsmanship! The LRA is just a sqaure BOX and hangs down almost 2 inches LOWER then the 44 gallon one, go figure!

hoser said:
LR also makes a nice 122L fuel/55L water Combo tank for the 100 series that's pretty slick.

Yeah, i SOOOO wish they had those for the 80's! Super Slick!

On a side note, they make Stainless and Aluminum water tanks for the 80s, but they bolt to the frame rails under the body where our sliders mount! :(

hoser

Explorer
Boston Mangler said:
This is another thing i did NOT like about the MAF version, They use an oldball sending unit that cant be rigged up to the stock gauge or the super slick overhead gauge like i got because of the different OHM readings. Sure, you could probably do some electrical magic and convert it, but i didnt like this part of it. What if the MAF sending unit or gauge dies? Then what? They dont sell replacements! I wanted my install to be all top notch TOYOTA OEM stuff! :safari-rig:
Let's call it the LRA tank since MAF doesn't manufacture it and MAF also carries 3+ different aux tanks. The LRA uses a very common 0-90 Ohm sending unit, probably easier to find than a proprietary Toyota sending unit. However, I agree, Toyota quality is tough to beat.

Just to clarify for anyone else, we seem to be discussing 5 different tanks here now.

LRA 24 gallon aux tank
LR 44 gallon aux tank
LRA 34 gallon aux tank
FZJ80 Replacement main tank sold by MAF awhile back (not sure which manufacturer)
LR combo tank aux tank

Boston Mangler said:
Yes it does! That alone shows me LR's attention to detal and craftsmanship! The LRA is just a sqaure BOX and hangs down almost 2 inches LOWER then the 44 gallon one, go figure!
(
I don't know about the 34 gallon LRA but I gotta say that the LRA 24 gallon tank is not just like a box. It fits snug from rail to rail and actually tucks up over the exhaust can. They could have uitlized the space towards the tow hitch but it's not a bad idea to have a "buffer" space in case of a rear-end accident.

calamaridog said:
http://www.aerotanks.com/index.html

Have any of you 80 series fellows ever talked to these guys about building a larger replacement tank?
I inquired with them a couple of years ago and at the time they were not interested in making a custom tank.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
hoser said:
The LRA uses a very common 0-90 Ohm sending unit, probably easier to find than a proprietary Toyota sending unit.

How do you figure its easier to find then going to a local Toyota dealer with the part #(83320-69215)?

Do you know who makes it? Can you get it local? Whats the Part #? Didnt think so! :D

hoser said:
However, I agree, Toyota quality is tough to beat.

I think impossible is a better term! :D

hoser said:
Just to clarify for anyone else, we seem to be discussing 5 different tanks here now.

LRA 24 gallon aux tank
LR 44 gallon aux tank
LRA 34 gallon aux tank
FZJ80 Replacement main tank sold by MAF awhile back (not sure which manufacturer) I was told some time ago, that this was made by LRA when i inquired about it
LR combo tank aux tank ONLY FOR 100 SERIES

hoser said:
I don't know about the 34 gallon LRA but I gotta say that the LRA 24 gallon tank is not just like a box. It fits snug from rail to rail and actually tucks up over the exhaust can. They could have uitlized the space towards the tow hitch but it's not a bad idea to have a "buffer" space in case of a rear-end accident.

Photos from Slees site:

LRA 34 Gallon
Long_Range_Fuel_Tank.jpg

LONG RANGER 44 Gallon
lrtank2.jpg

and
longranger.jpg

rgsiii

Observer
I have two of the MAF 24 gallon auxilary tanks and have been impressed. Both of my 80's have 4x4Lab rear bumpers of two slightly different designs.

On the '94, we had to make use of the bumper to attach the tank. This caused the tank to sit somewhat lower than it was designed. On my 1997, we were able with some modification use the supplied mounting system. The lowest point of the tank is above my exhaust.

All the parts needed are with the kit and the installation was pretty smooth. Also, I have been very impressed with the help and advice given to me by Steve at MAF.

This is a link to my install on the '94.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104791

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78