How to Keep Your 3.0V6 3VZ Engine....Alive!

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

The afternoon SWR engine update...........

After driving down to Jose's shop.........waiting three hours.....walking over to the local Toyota dealer to get a free cup of coffee and drool......riding my bike home 2 miles without the SWR to feed my son who is stuck flat on his back with pneumonia, while I'm playing father mother nurse doctor chef...etc.

So far we have..........

A plugged up vacuum line to the EGR.

It is Plugged up within the metal tube that follows the other metal tube vacuum lines that run Under the Planum.

I know there is a better close up online somewhere, but I can't remember where it is now. Not easy to get to! UG! Have a look here.............

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/engine/68cylinder.pdf

Well gee..........guess who last touched that....and guess just who plugged it up! I was standing there next to my truck this morning when they tried to blow 90psi of air through this very small metal tube to the EGR. Plugged! They may re~route another vacuum line, but I asked them to first plase try to unplug it so my engine stays stock and normal..........um....can these ever be normal?

Pskhaat..........

This is another new engine with only 3,600 miles on it after my last one blew up last year in the Panamints. I got rid of "Mr. Sucky's pretend engine rebuild shop". This new engine is supposed to have a 5 year/50K warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
DaveInDenver said:
...lots of people block off their EGR with success. I personally wouldn't consider that until you have the engine performance stable and at a baseline first.

Yeah, I guess that's what I was trying to state. I think there are some engines of old where EGR was a jury-fit and did not a whole lot more than (as Mines so eloquently taught me) ``the solution to polution is dilution.''

New engines I'm confident were designed from the begining to employ EGR.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
The afternoon SWR engine update...........

After driving down to Jose's shop.........waiting three hours.....walking over to the local Toyota dealer to get a free cup of coffee and drool......riding my bike home 2 miles without the SWR to feed my son who is stuck flat on his back with pneumonia, while I'm playing father mother nurse doctor chef...etc.

So far we have..........

A plugged up vacuum line to the EGR.

It is Plugged up within the metal tube that follows the other metal tube vacuum lines that run Under the Planum.

I know there is a better close up online somewhere, but I can't remember where it is now. Not easy to get to! UG! Have a look here.............

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/engine/68cylinder.pdf

Well gee..........guess who last touched that....and guess just who plugged it up! I was standing there next to my truck this morning when they tried to blow 90psi of air through this very small metal tube to the EGR. Plugged! They may re~route another vacuum line, but I asked them to first plase try to unplug it so my engine stays stock and normal..........um....can these ever be normal?

Pskhaat..........

This is another new engine with only 3,600 miles on it after my last one blew up last year in the Panamints. I got rid of "Mr. Sucky's pretend engine rebuild shop". This new engine is supposed to have a 5 year/50K warranty.
If this was a long block this part would have been reused off the old motor and had nothing to do with the motor being rebuilt. It could have gotten plugged when the old motor went and just not caught when it got transferred to the new motor.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I understand Grim........

But the thing is..........

Two years ago my truck passed smog. We put on a brand new EGR valve at the time and all was working and no lines plugged.

Anyway............

Jose called and said they had to bypass the plugged metal line. Do some other adjustments......did a pre sniff test............and it's Going to Pass Smog now.

$169.....Bucks!

I say the engine rebuilder owes me! He should have been very careful with all these smog vacuum lines and blow them out and make sure they are all clear before hooking them back up. Anything can happen to a hose or a vacuum line while apart in a shop with crap flying all over the place! It should have never happend.

My truck with new engine should have been returned to me in a passing smog test state just as when I took it in. The rebuilder just does not want to spend money on the proper equipment!

Sat. morning Edit:

Just talked with Jose and he told me that yesterday late, he took my truck over to the 'Test Only" shop and it Passed the Smog test! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Engine Update,

I had to have another new engine installed July 2008. It was under warranty/free! Whew! 1,400 miles on my new engine as I type.

Here is a new question and I would like to expand this thread to our transmissions. Mine is Auto.

I was crawling around under my truck today and I find that my transmission pan is leaking at the spot where the dipstick enters the side of the pan, on the drivers side (I'm thinking too many engines and wiggling of the dipstick tube!....UG!). I have no idea how this is attached to the tranny pan. Does it need to be popped out and a new gasket installed? Or can I just spread some liquid steel on it and call it a day?

Anyone know the proper way to take care of this?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12