I need ideas on how to mount shovel/axe to body panels

motomech

Adventurer
I want to mount a shovel/axe etc...to my hood or the fenders AND BE ABLE TO LOCK THEM ON.

Home made stuff is always cool..I just need ideas on making the mounts.
I don't want them mounted on the roof or on my bumpers or inside.

Pictures always welcome!!!!!

Something

Adventurer
check page three of my build thread (in sig) for a couple ideas....not sure if it will help with body mounting though.

good luck

jcbrandon

Explorer
Here's how I mounted a shovel and pulaski to the sheet metal in the bed of my truck, using Quickfist clamps.

I don't expect the cables to keep out determined thieves, just opportunists. You could rig up something more substantial. I asked myself how much effort and time did I want to put into preventing somebody from stealing a $30 shovel. For me the answer was a couple of hours and about $20. The truck is my daily driver and the tools stay back there all the time. When I head out onto the trails, I remove and stow the cables.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Here's how I mounted a shovel and pulaski to the sheet metal in the bed of my truck, using Quickfist clamps.
How did you attach the Quickfists to the inside of the fender? My bed has a double wall there, so getting to the inside to put a nut on would be difficult.

Something

Adventurer
How did you attach the Quickfists to the inside of the fender? My bed has a double wall there, so getting to the inside to put a nut on would be difficult.

i can't answer for him...but....sheet metal screws maybe...

although...that bed doesn't look like sheet metal as stated...looks like a plastic liner.

jcbrandon

Explorer
The bed is double-wall steel with a factory plastic liner. Can't get to the back side. I used a big sheet metal screw, bedded in silicone for rust prevention. It's been working great for months, including a lot of washboard roads.

You don't need tremendous holding power in this application. Your tools weigh what, five pounds? And you've got two clamps spaced wide apart so there's no levering action.

The Quickfist clamps come with a sheet metal screw and they state a very acceptable holding power in their specs. I'm really happy with the installation.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I forgot it was a shovel you mounted. I would like to mount a shovel on one side, and my hi-lift on the other. The hi-lift is the problem.

rickc

Adventurer
Here's one military method; it uses a large base plate and HD rubber latches.
Pioneer-Kit-2.jpg

Something

Adventurer
Here's one military method; it uses a large base plate and HD rubber latches.
Pioneer-Kit-2.jpg

Awesome..might as well throw a rake and weedeater on there for good measure!

I doubt anyone would look at me funny driving around with that on my hood!
:smiley_drive:

rickc

Adventurer
Agreed! But the concept of a base plate with all the fastening devices that then bolts to the truck is interesting.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Where can you get those Jeep Hood Latch meets Qwick Fist tie downs they are using?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior