Ice, Ice, Baby 2024

Trail Talk

I'd like to start off 2024 by sending best wishes to the Transglobal Car Expedition that departed New York on January 10th (Transglobal Car Expedition) enroute to the geographic North Pole via Yellowknife and Cambridge Bay.

Transglobal route.png

I've poured over the website and it looks to be a serious expedition with realistic equipment and achievable goals. They've spent several years testing routes and equipment, with some interesting and expensive lessons. Their Arctic Trucks-modified F150 hybrid had the misfortune of falling through the ice into the Arctic Ocean during a reconnaissance trip off Nunavut in 2022. They returned several months later and successfully recovered the vehicle, ferrying it by helicopter to Cambridge Bay. Serious effort to do the right thing, so kudos to them.

In addition to the specialty Yemelya amphibious vehicles they will now take onto the ocean ice, I'm in awe of those sweet Ford F350 Lariat chassis-cab modified by Arctic Trucks into 6x6 configuration which will carry them from Yellowknife to Cambridge Bay. We had a small taste of their route last year (Ice, Ice, Baby 2023) and have great appreciation for the undertaking.

Although not mentioned by name, one F350 6x6 will carry a Total Composites cabin, being the same truck used to support the Pole to Pole EV Expedition last year. Another cabin was built for a second truck and the third will carry a flat deck for supplies and spares.
Transglobal AT44 6x6 2024.png

Somewhat anti-climatic after that, for our Ice, Ice, Baby 2024 edition we will be departing in mid-March for the cultural festivals in Aklavik and Inuvik, tag the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk, then scooting South before the spring melt shuts down ice roads and river crossings.

Trail Talk

Epic! Needless to say that everyone here at TC and the builder Offgrid Customs off-grid-campers-1 are incredible excited to be part of this. Nothing better than a real expedition!

Cheers

Ah ha! Thanks for mentioning the maker of their 2nd cabin, I couldn't remember. Can you make any comment on the differences from the 1st gen cabin? I'm aware of the change to in-floor hydronic heating, but I'm also very interested in their ventilation solutions for the extreme cold that is anticipated.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Ah ha! Thanks for mentioning the maker of their 2nd cabin, I couldn't remember. Can you make any comment on the differences from the 1st gen cabin? I'm aware of the change to in-floor hydronic heating, but I'm also very interested in their ventilation solutions for the extreme cold that is anticipated.
Other then the box itself, I have very limited info on the outfitting and finished truck as of today.

Trail Talk

Other then the box itself, I have very limited info on the outfitting and finished truck as of today.
OK, understand. I'm a bit disappointed with their handling of someone else's question on FB regarding this build. It doesn't make sense to me when a business puts out interesting and very public teasers but wants private communication to respond. I guess that is why people come here ;-)

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
OK, understand. I'm a bit disappointed with their handling of someone else's question on FB regarding this build. It doesn't make sense to me when a business puts out interesting and very public teasers but wants private communication to respond. I guess that is why people come here ;-)
Sorry, can't comment on the way other businesses communicate :-(
For us at TC we respond on Social media as open and fast as we can. This takes a lot of our time (even on weekends) and sometimes creates follow ups from "not so nice people" that sometimes makes you question why on earth we are going the extra mile. In any case, I can understand why some companies are not super responsive and have created their own way of dealing with requests.

Trail Talk

Don't disagree it can be onerous and certain platforms seem to reward the trolls more than others. OTOH many businesses with an online presence want to use it only for messaging but not communication. We could easily spin off into a discussion about how trust is manufactured and maintained but I'm just glad you have a different model :) Too bad we couldn't connect in person this summer while we were driving through to Departure Bay.

Trail Talk

Been going over the build photos for the expedition's 2nd TC cabin, posted by Off Grid Customs on FB. Was more than a little surprised and pleased to spot what looks like installation of the Lunos Heat Recovery Ventilation unit. I've posted the photos to this thread: Heat Recovery Ventilators.

Another hugely interesting aspect of this extreme weather build is their use of Sterling Power's bi-directional DC to DC charger, either the 70A or 120A version judging by the size. I was seriously considering this brand to solve a problem resulting from our conversion to a lithium battery bank but could not find someone having experience with the product so went with a tried and true Victron DC to DC, but lacking bi-directional charging. Now it appears OGC can fill that gap if/when I decide to upgrade.

OGC Sterling Power DCtoDC copy 2.jpeg

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
. . . use of Sterling Power's bi-directional DC to DC charger . . .
What is the advantage of bi-directional DC to DC charging?

I understand charging your house batteries from the truck alternator and being able to use the house batteries as a booster to the starter battery. But using solar/wind/generator to charge the starter battery? They are small outputs compared to the truck alternator.

NOPEC

Somewhat anti-climatic after that, for our Ice, Ice, Baby 2024 edition we will be departing in mid-March for the cultural festivals in Aklavik and Inuvik, tag the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk, then scooting South before the spring melt shuts down ice roads and river crossings.
This will be a great trip, looking forward to following your progress!

NOPEC

Dean, in solidarity with your pending trip, we could name our summer trip, "Please, No Ice, Baby 2024" as we are definitely on opposite ends of the wish list for ice quality and quantity......:D

Trail Talk

A few changes to our kit for this trip. First was a cellphone upgrade, upgrading our old and unsupported Apple SE with the same model but now in its 3rd generation, gaining 5G and a big improvement in speed and memory. Our old SE, now wifi only, carries all the apps and manuals for the rig and serves as a Victron Connect monitor. Of course this doesn’t replace the VHF radio for the vast expanses between cell coverage.

We were never comfortable with having the Little Buddy propane heater as our backup heat source so finally decided to switch it out for a catalytic heater. The Martin CH3 uses the same 1 lb propane bottle, is flameless, twice as efficient (producing 3k BTUs for 7 hours on a single bottle) and creates no CO.
IMG_2824.JPG

Another small annoyance was the white gas backpacking stove we carry as a backup cooking appliance. To standardize on one fuel source I went looking for a compact, reliable propane cooktop that would use the ubiquitous 1lb bottle and settled on a Jetboil Halfgen single burner. The 20 year-old Primus Himalayan multi-fuel remains a trusted friend, now in semi-retirement waiting for the next hiking adventure.
IMG_2825.JPG

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I have used the 1lb tanks as backup and primary fuel for a million different adventures over the years.

One thing I've noticed that you might consider is that the quality of the bottles - and specifically the valves- has gone down significantly. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer - but they all seem worse than BITD.

Since you are using them as a back-up/emergency and maybe have them stashed out of the way for long periods - I would recommend you buy a couple of the brass, airtight, screw-on lids for the bottles. The risk of you needing them in an emergency and finding the bottles empty goes way down.

These are the ones I use and they have performed fine but I'm sure there are other similar options.

61pLt6ICKhL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online