Ice, Ice, Baby 2024

Alloy

A few changes to our kit for this trip. First was a cellphone upgrade, upgrading our old and unsupported Apple SE with the same model but now in its 3rd generation, gaining 5G and a big improvement in speed and memory. Our old SE, now wifi only, carries all the apps and manuals for the rig and serves as a Victron Connect monitor. Of course this doesn’t replace the VHF radio for the vast expanses between cell coverage.

We were never comfortable with having the Little Buddy propane heater as our backup heat source so finally decided to switch it out for a catalytic heater. The Martin CH3 uses the same 1 lb propane bottle, is flameless, twice as efficient (producing 3k BTUs for 7 hours on a single bottle) and creates no CO.

Another small annoyance was the white gas backpacking stove we carry as a backup cooking appliance. To standardize on one fuel source I went looking for a compact, reliable propane cooktop that would use the ubiquitous 1lb bottle and settled on a Jetboil Halfgen single burner. The 20 year-old Primus Himalayan multi-fuel remains a trusted friend, now in semi-retirement waiting for the next hiking adventure.

Catalytic heaters (Little Buddy is catalylic) has be be kept 100% clean even in storage. Anything gets on the burner and they start to produce (orange/yellow flame) CO.

There's also Hypoxia which one of my buddies in his new ultralight Dyneema snow covered/sealed tent (no heater) is lucky to have lived and learned about.

Alloy

Been going over the build photos for the expedition's 2nd TC cabin, posted by Off Grid Customs on FB. Was more than a little surprised and pleased to spot what looks like installation of the Lunos Heat Recovery Ventilation unit. I've posted the photos to this thread: Heat Recovery Ventilators.

Another hugely interesting aspect of this extreme weather build is their use of Sterling Power's bi-directional DC to DC charger, either the 70A or 120A version judging by the size. I was seriously considering this brand to solve a problem resulting from our conversion to a lithium battery bank but could not find someone having experience with the product so went with a tried and true Victron DC to DC, but lacking bi-directional charging. Now it appears OGC can fill that gap if/when I decide to upgrade.

It's a good idea to take equipment list on these "social media vehicles" with a grain of salt. Some is purchased and other equipment (good or bad) is supplied by sponsors.

Trail Talk

I just received a digital CO meter and will set up a test of both the Little Buddy and Martin to see what happens. The biggest PITA with Little Buddy is how top heavy it is with the head unit mounted on a propane cylinder, really didn't trust it.

Trail Talk

Did a hike to the top of Sulpher Mountain via a long abandoned construction road and enjoyed absolute solitude, well except for the three wolves ahead of us.

IMG_5175.jpegIMG_5182.jpeg

The front side of the mountain is served by a gondola to a panoramic observation and restaurant building (and the reason for that road up the back side). We enjoyed a latte then switched to ice cleats and escaped from the crowds down a little used footpath that zigzags under the gondola, reaching our campsite in darkness. Slept well that night 😴

Trail Talk

Not sure if this has already been posted elsewhere on EP but this is a YouTube video of the Transglobal Car Expedition currently on it’s way to Cambridge Bay, Nunavut.

Transglobal Car Expedition

One thing missing is a discussion of the cost and who is financing this endeavour. Also there is little discussion of the primary organizer and expedition founder, mountaineer Alexander Abramov. Turns out he was denied entry into Canada when the convoy arrived at the border from the US so his journey to the North Pole has ended. He will probably rejoin in Greenland barring further political complications. In his blog, Abramov said his visa was cancelled 5 days earlier but he wasn’t notified and was questioned on his connections with the Russian Geographical Society. This intrigue is as interesting as the expedition itself!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Not sure if this has already been posted elsewhere on EP but this is a YouTube video of the Transglobal Car Expedition currently on it’s way to Cambridge Bay, Nunavut.

Transglobal Car Expedition

One thing missing is a discussion of the cost and who is financing this endeavour. Also there is little discussion of the primary organizer and expedition founder, mountaineer Alexander Abramov. Turns out he was denied entry into Canada when the convoy arrived at the border from the US so his journey to the North Pole has ended. He will probably rejoin in Greenland barring further political complications. In his blog, Abramov said his visa was cancelled 5 days earlier but he wasn’t notified and was questioned on his connections with the Russian Geographical Society. This intrigue is as interesting as the expedition itself!
Can't be easy to travel these days if you own a Russian passport.

RealTruck

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
They put together a great group of folks to make this expedition possible. The amount of planning and preparation that went into it is tremendous, you really have to appreciate how well they organized the event. Watching them recover the truck was surreal, like opening a time capsule. And what a concept to be in the literal middle of nowhere, no one for miles and miles, traveling on what was expected to be a clear and untouched path, and then to run into people! Such a vast space, yet such a small world! This is such a valuable expedition, and I'm certainly excited to go on this virtual journey with them.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
It's a good idea to take equipment list on these "social media vehicles" with a grain of salt. Some is purchased and other equipment (good or bad) is supplied by sponsors.

As far as the habitats and equipment for these goes, nothing was sponsored. All components where carefully selected and paid for. Taking a vehicle that far off the beaten path in extreme conditions with components that are "sponsored" and installed just for marketing purpose could back fire and be potentially a huge risk for the whole team. Aside from that, I know that all parties involved building these amazing machines have invested tons of personal time and effort to make this happen.

Trail Talk

Indeed, this endeavour is many orders of magnitude beyond a mere expedition. More at the level of NASA. I shudder to think what the truck recovery alone cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior