ICON CJ3B aka THE DOG

Desert Dan

Explorer
Now if Jeep would only make the Wrangler with a Hemi and Dana 60's and Diesel option we would be done talking and be buying instead.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Now if Jeep would only make the Wrangler with a Hemi and Dana 60's and Diesel option we would be done talking and be buying instead.

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off Road Evolution has been doing something similar. They take a basic 2wd JK, install front & rear Pro Rock 60's, Atlas T-case, and a suspension lift for 40K. (including the Jeep) Pretty good deal, just add another what?? 12K for a Hemi??

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
Speaking of early mil jeeps, I saw a very nice, unrestored CJ (or is it MJ) 5 stopped at a light on my way home last night. Looked like it could use a seat recover but I couldn't spot any rust and it still had the bar tread tires on it.

Skim

Explorer
Isn't the ICON FJ40 and FJ45 produced/built by TLC in Southern California ?

If TLC are Cruiser experts why are they building a Jeep ?

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's what the Icon CJ3B looked like at the SEMA show. I thought it was
the most interesting vehicle at the show.

icon-cj3b-1.jpg

icon-cj3b-2.jpg

icon-cj3b-3.jpg

icon-cj3b-4.jpg

762X39

Explorer
Nice retro but for 79K you could buy 2 JK Rubicons
But all you would have is a couple of JK Rubicons. The 3B is something else entirely.It has cool written all over it. I know a lot of you can't afford the price of admission but it is still an awesome vehicle.I would love to take it cross country as is.Sure there might be days when it would try my patience but I did a 6000k trip in my military Unimog with basically 50's technology and I wouldn't give up the experience for anything (good times,bad times you know I have had my share...).:coffee:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm sorry but that just looks like a mail order kit truck. The others they offer are nice but it begs the question Icon or a AEV rig. I would love to have either one as a boss truck to go from site to site but for the money a kitted out DC Taco would do the trick.

A

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I have to agree. It looks to me like someone spent ~$40k in the catalog and then charged ~$40k in labour to put it all together. I'm being generous to keep the maths simple on the catalog part...

Not that there is anything wrong with that but as an end point the vehicle itself is not worth what they are asking IMO. For the extra, let's say $50k you are buying exclusivity I guess or perhaps participating in industrial art. Hardly something to be banging through South America in though.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I have to agree. It looks to me like someone spent ~$40k in the catalog and then charged ~$40k in labour to put it all together. I'm being generous to keep the maths simple on the catalog part...

Not that there is anything wrong with that but as an end point the vehicle itself is not worth what they are asking IMO. For the extra, let's say $50k you are buying exclusivity I guess or perhaps participating in industrial art. Hardly something to be banging through South America in though.

Well said.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Autoblog reviews the Icon CJ3B, and concludes it's worth $79K, maybe more, due to the quality of materials and level of craftsmanship. The CJ3B, like all the Icon products, is handmade without compromise.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/19/review-icon-cj3b-more-than-the-sum-of-its-impressive-parts/

Just because a Casio watch costs $15 and keeps perfect time doesn't mean that all watches should cost $15.

By all means lets believe the media! I mean they don't lie cheat or steal nor do they take compensation to run and rate products. Ok so if the icon was $15 I might buy one, of course I fall into the catagory of never being able to afford such a toy as a Icon (though if I could I'd buy a AEV Brute).

Aaron

Wonderland

Explorer
Autoblog reviews the Icon CJ3B, and concludes it's worth $79K, maybe more, due to the quality of materials and level of craftsmanship. The CJ3B, like all the Icon products, is handmade without compromise.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/19/review-icon-cj3b-more-than-the-sum-of-its-impressive-parts/

Just because a Casio watch costs $15 and keeps perfect time doesn't mean that all watches should cost $15.

Rather have the real thing. Far cheaper to boot!

http://chicago.kijiji.com/classic-cars/chicago/1953-willys-cj-3b-m-606-military-army-jeep/?ad=391421
2724ec4_27.jpeg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader

Indeed. But that doesn't mean you could ever convince me that a ~$25,000 Rolex is anything more than a status symbol.

A Cayman is a better car than a 911 as well but is priced less.

We could chase analogies all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears