IM BACK!!! again....

toyrunner95

Explorer
so its been a long road but i finally have my dream truck! But first I need to tell you a back story.

When i was 14 or 15 i read 4wheel drive and sport utility magazine. Kevin McNulty wrote a build up on a 300,000 mile Toyota Pickup. I was enamored! I have always wanted a Toyota so when i was 18 i bought a 1995 4runner, hense the name toyrunner95. Anyway, since its a 1995, it had the 3.0 grenade and left me stranded a few times. though durable and comfortable, it wasn't reliable. Around that time in my life i decided to sell it and get a car. i didn't need something that big, i wasn't off roading in college so i downsized. After college i found that i needed a truck again, so i bought a dodge ram 2500. it was big, heavy, comfortable, but expensive to maintain. I sold that, and after consideration i picked up a 1987 chevy CUCV. this was a good truck but it was a constant battle of chasing leaks, so for two years of chasing and swearing and repairing, i decided to sell that and get something that i could drive daily, take on back roads, take camping, and most of all depend on.

with that i ended up with a 2013 toyota tacoma with 13k on the clock. IM SO EXCITED!!! ill get some pics up as soon as i can.

toyrunner95

Explorer
So I went to Toyota and asked them what mods I could do that wouldent void the warranty. They told me you can modify whatever you want. But if it leads to a part failure as a direct result then its not covered. So if I put a arb on the front and the shocks go out they aren't covered. Good to know they stand behind their product and engineering as well as their warranty.

toyrunner95

Explorer
IMG_20140119_161314_462.jpg
2013 Tacoma double cab TRD off road package
OK so I have been doing a bunch of reading about modifications for this truck. I want to keep it simple and reliable so the mod list is short. but I do have a few questions that I need straight answers to.

1. An Arb deluxe bull bar, I have always wanted one and with my tax return I think I can finally get one. I have read that modifications need to be done to the stock front bumper in order to fill the gab between the grille and Arb. Is this true?

2. What winches will fit in the Arb? I'm looking at getting a 9.5 xd. Or something of that sort.

3. I want to do an old man emu 2.5" lift to improve ride quality and performance. Again nothing fancy. It is my daily driver so nothing too wild. I have read that the upper control arms are giving people alignment issues. What's the deal with that?

4. Interior issues. I have scoured the internet and found that the interiors vary a bit from model to model and I can't find a dcent place to put switches or a cb! I found an s pod that mounts in the sunglass holder above but I don't really want to tear down the headliner. I also don't want to drill and cut bunch of new holes in the dash. As for a cb I might go with a cobra all in the mic unit to save space and hole drilling.

Anyway those are my issues. Answers would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
moar pictures and build talking. this needs to be epic, i won't settle for anything less

Elk

Observer
Regarding #3, take a look at SPC's Light Racing upper control arms. They use a sealed ball joint as opposed to a uniball and allow for a camber/caster adjustable setup. The price is right around $400.

Elk

Observer
And of course, congratulations on your new purchase. My '07 Tacoma has given me 107, 000 trouble free miles and counting.

toyrunner95

Explorer
So.... my tax return was to put mildly, dissapointing. The plans have changed a bit. I have been doing research for options and talking to people and have come to a cheaper solution.

1. Instead of an Arb bumper I'm going to do a front reciever hitch and a multi mount. That way I can move it and not have it weighing down my truck 24/7

2. Still getting a canopy. Probably an a.r.e. I need something durable that's going to last.

3. I'm going to keep the lift mild and stick to a 1" spacer lift. I don't need anything drastic or pricey. Just utilize what I have.

4. Gonna get bfg all terrains. Probably 265/70r16s no rubbing issues and a durable and inexpencive tire.

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about the tax return.

Have you considered going with a set of Bilstein 5100's for your lift? A set can be had for ~$300 for all 4. These would ride much nicer than a spacer lift.

Also for your tires, I would also consider either Cooper AT3 or General Grabber AT2, as both can be had pretty cheap. I have had good luck with the grabbers on my old tacoma in the past.

http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/15483090000.html $131/tire
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000002688.html $126/tire

Oh yeah, congrats on the new truck!

Last edited:

SIZZLE

Pro-party
If you lift above 2.5", the stock UCAs limit your ability to align the front end properly. Aftermarket ones solve this.

You can go up to 265/75/16 without rubbing, tho your front mudflaps may rub some. YMMV. I love the BFG ATs, but they only come in load range E now, which IMO is too stiff/heavy for a midsize.

The best money you can spend right off the bat is for an exhaust reroute. These trucks don't need much to be supper capable.

Purdy color. Good luck with your new truck!

toyrunner95

Explorer
Well after much consideration I have decided to slow my plans a bit. Do the whole save and invest strategy. So far here are the needs. (As opposed to wants)

1. A canopy for the dog. I really don't want my Sheppard in the cab. I'm sure he would love it but the fur is horrible.

2. Well actually there isn't a 2. I don't really NEED anything else.

Wants:

1. Winch mount. I would like either a hidden hitch or a warn transformer bumper guard. Mostly the guard for light mounts and with the hitch for a multi mount winch. That way I can do the portable thing.
2. An air compressor. I know there are some cheap ones that do the job but god knows where I will be or what I will be doing. I like the Arb compressor with the air tank that can run air tools but I could probably assemble one with an extreme air and a tank. But I like the portable i idea so its not stuck to the truck.

3. Bed drawers. I can't decide if this is a need or want but its important. Storage is a priority.

Anyone got any suggestions for products? I'm trying to go low budget but the canopy is probably an a.r.e.

I thought about a whole bumper but the price is the set back. Plus for a daily driver I don't want to draw too much attention.

toyrunner95

Explorer
Well I sold some more stuff and did some shopping. I found a warn 8k new for $400 and I think I will do a multi mount for it. I sold my trailer and now I finally have enough for my canopy. From there its just little things here and there. Its going to be a slow build so stay tuned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle