In search of the perfect can opener.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I've got a Rosle safety can opener that just pops the lid at the seam. I love it. I use it most of the time even over the electric one I have. Works great and no sharp edges. It was a little pricey at $25 a few years ago, but now I see them going for up to $40 so I guess mine wasn't so bad.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/20080-rosle-can-opener.aspx

I also carry a P-38 with me and can zip a can open quicker than hell with it.

OverlanderFJ62

My two cents, this has been a great opener .............

Compact Nogent Can Opener

28417_285.jpg

Round, oval or square cans, this compact manual can opener removes virtually any lid without a struggle. Also opens rectangular cans with rounded corners. Not your traditional-style handheld can opener. This opener made in France is incredibly easy to use--an updated, effortless version of the original military-style compact can opener. Triangular, tempered carbon-steel blade pierces instantly, grips edge and engages, without applying pressure to handles. Cushioned, butterfly handles rotate smoothly to remove lid safely, without leaving a sharp jagged edge. Turn counterclockwise to release. Compact size is ideal for everyday kitchen use, picnics and barbecues, too. Comfortable for right- or left-handed use. Rust-resistant. Steel and chrome-plated nickel. Stores in the corner of a drawer. Hand wash.

Nogent is a French family-owned company manufacturing high-quality kitchen knives and utensils for nearly a century. Founded in 1923, Nogent sources the best-quality materials. Each step of production is quality controlled by long-term, experienced personnel, ensuring precision-performance tools.

Product Features
• Easily opens virtually any size can: round, oval, even square and rectangular cans with rounded corners
• Triangular tempered carbon-steel blade pierces instantly, grips edge and engages, without applying pressure to handles
• Turn counterclockwise to release
• Compact size is ideal for everyday kitchen use, picnics and barbecues
• Comfortable for right- or left-handed use
• Rust-resistant
• Stores in the corner of a drawer
• French, family-owned company is the manufacturer of high-quality kitchen knives and utensils for nearly a century

Specifications
• Model O4030Z
• 1 3/4L (3 w/handles) x 1 3/4W x 2H
• Weight: 3-oz.
• Made in France
• 5-year manufacturer warranty

Junkinduck

Observer
Well I have been on the can opener quest fo a while. My swing-a-way wore out so I replaced it with the same, or so I thought. It was the china made. Seems that swing-a-way went there. So one day while lookin for something that would open a can other than my Swiss army knife I stumbled upon this: http://www.sierravalleytrading.com/Can-Opener--EZ-DUZ-IT--Model-89-_p_1555.html
The ez-duz-it is the old USA swing-a-way. Amazon has them as well and so far they are simple and work great. Just like the old swing-a-way. Bought one for the house and one for the camper. They will also rebuild the old USA swing a away openers.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
The only can opener that I owned was the one on my Swiss Champ knife, then, when my girlfriend moved in, I bought a good opener for the kitchen, as she complained about it.

When we split, I left it with her and still use the Swiss Champ opener, except that now there's Swiss Army knives in the kitchen, vehicle cook kit, raft cook kit, etc.

After decades of using the one on my belt, I can't see the point of buying another type, as I prefer this one.

haven

Expedition Leader
I recently got one of those newfangled openers that cuts the side of the can right below the rim. The can wall is thinner than the top, so it slices easily. Lifts the top off when you're done, too. I think mine came from an Ikea store, so who knows where it was made.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I've had a couple of the older-style Black and Decker cordless can openers (a 220v when I was in Germany and a 110v here). Like Mudbutt's, it's pretty cool to clamp it on and watch it go round. Holds a charge for a couple weeks, so works pretty well for camping.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
Well I have been on the can opener quest fo a while. My swing-a-way wore out so I replaced it with the same, or so I thought. It was the china made. Seems that swing-a-way went there. So one day while lookin for something that would open a can other than my Swiss army knife I stumbled upon this: http://www.sierravalleytrading.com/Can-Opener--EZ-DUZ-IT--Model-89-_p_1555.html
The ez-duz-it is the old USA swing-a-way. Amazon has them as well and so far they are simple and work great. Just like the old swing-a-way. Bought one for the house and one for the camper. They will also rebuild the old USA swing a away openers.

Funny we were just having this discussion on a recent trip.

Swing-a-way was definitely the classic, functional design, now sadly out sourced to China.

But-the tooling formerly used by Swing-a-way was bought by the Steuby Company and new EZ-DUZ-IT can openers are being made on the old tooling. They work great and have all the great attributes of the old Swing-a-ways.

I got a couple from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Made-USA-Can-...TF8&qid=1400625738&sr=8-12&keywords=ez+duz+it

I know it's a small thing, but having a functionally excellent can opener is a good thing. No more Chinese garbage consumer products where I can help it.

Kelly Campbell

It’s true. You’ve got to pay for quality. We’ve had a series of those cheap can-openers. They simply don’t last. We just bought one that works and lasts … “lasts” meaning we’ve had it for 2 years now.

4x4junkie

Explorer
ecko model 885....

th_IMAG0644.jpg

I had one of those... All that would happen when you turn the handle is the gear would slip and spin on the can (getting it to actually move around and cut the can's lid was a tedious process). As cheaply made as they are, I s'pose it's possible I could've simply gotten a bad one.

Funny we were just having this discussion on a recent trip.

Swing-a-way was definitely the classic, functional design, now sadly out sourced to China.

But-the tooling formerly used by Swing-a-way was bought by the Steuby Company and new EZ-DUZ-IT can openers are being made on the old tooling. They work great and have all the great attributes of the old Swing-a-ways.

I got a couple from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Made-USA-Can-...TF8&qid=1400625738&sr=8-12&keywords=ez+duz+it

I know it's a small thing, but having a functionally excellent can opener is a good thing. No more Chinese garbage consumer products where I can help it.

That's a VERY reasonable price on that if it's infact the same as the Swing-A-Way (it sure looks like it). I'd buy two of them if I didn't already have three original 30-yo Swing-A-Ways on hand.
Should be the last can opener you ever buy (with the aforementioned caveat you don't lose it lol).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online