Inferno.Overland's '04 Tundra DC Build

KTempleton

Observer
The parts are starting to trickle in so we decided to tear into the front suspension last night. For this build and overall theme of keep it simple I decided to try the recently released Bilstein 6112 set up for our trucks. Hot the press Bilstein just released a 6112 front kit with a matching set of 5160s for the rear in mid-November. It's nice to know some of the manufacturers are still putting out innovative products for this platform. A good read on it: http://mrtmotorsports.org/news/blog/2016/09/23/definitive-bilstein-6112-shock-guide/

Having run true 2.5" coilovers on the last two trucks (Fox and SAW) I thought we'd try a different approach on this truck. In theory these 6112s should be a happy medium between the 5100s and a true coilover. With a 60mm shock body they are basically a non-serviceable 2.5" coilover with 8 fixed ride height positions (0-2.5). The kit comes with a set of matching coils. I can't find a definitive answer on who manufactures the coils or their spring weight but everything i've read leads me to believe they are Eibach 600 or 650lb coils.

They are massive!!

View attachment 377251

Installed photo. We treated her to a new set of rotors and pads while we were in there too :smiley_drive:

View attachment 377250

FINALLY! I've been waiting for someone go this route before pulling the trigger. I've been eye balling it for a few months now after hearing they were about to be released. Very interested to see how you like.

Last edited:

Go4Lo

Explorer
Very cool with with the bilstiens, if they ride well that's the direction I'll be going. I have SAW race runners and they are amazing on large bumps but way too harsh on regular highway driving

Sorry to hear you haven't been happy with the SAWs. Maybe they are different on the Tundra, but I had a set of 2.5" SAWs on my 3rd Gen T4R and liked them. The Fox 2.5s were great on the Tacoma as well. I was set on going the coilover route with the Tundra until I saw the article on MRT. I had even been on the phone with Dan at Wheeler's about a set of King's with 700lb coils he has in stock. I've run Old Man Emu and the 5100s on different IFS Toyota trucks but never the 6112s. I like trying new products so I look forward to comparing these to other set ups and reporting the feedback.

FINALLY! I've been waiting for to see someone go this route before pulling the trigger. I've been eye balling it for a few months now after hearing they were about to be released. Very interested to see how you like.

Will provide plenty of feedback! Initial installation impression of them is good. The components are nice, especially the billet coil seat. I did buy a new set of strut mounts to install them with since mine were well worn. A wall mount spring compressor would be ideal because the coils are wound too tight for the traditional clamp style parts store compressors to work. Moving the lock ring into the top position added enough length to the whole set up that it required me to drop the lower ball joint/control arm out by separating it from the knuckle in order to get them in them in place. Once in place we compressed them with a floor jack under the LCA.

The lock ring is set at the top, which Bilstein claims is 2.5" of lift on a Double Cab and over 3" on a Access Cab. My only concern at this point is whether or not the included coil springs are heavy duty enough to support the extra weight of the Double Cab trucks over time. Plans include a winch bumper and winch down the road as well so not sure how that will play into equation. My thought is if these are indeed Eibach coils I could most likely source a longer/heavier coil to use with the added weight down the road.

6112 Instructions.jpg

I was hopeful the truck would be back on the road by this point but unfortunately the passenger lower shock bolt had other plans. After much pound and beating with very large hammers we threw in the towel and cut the lower strut bolt in two sections to remove the OEM coilover assembly. Patiently waiting on a new lower strut bolt to come into my local Toyota dealer tomorrow morning. Will update again once she's back on the road.

broken shock.jpg

KTempleton

Observer
Sorry to hear you haven't been happy with the SAWs. Maybe they are different on the Tundra, but I had a set of 2.5" SAWs on my 3rd Gen T4R and liked them. The Fox 2.5s were great on the Tacoma as well. I was set on going the coilover route with the Tundra until I saw the article on MRT. I had even been on the phone with Dan at Wheeler's about a set of King's with 700lb coils he has in stock. I've run Old Man Emu and the 5100s on different IFS Toyota trucks but never the 6112s. I like trying new products so I look forward to comparing these to other set ups and reporting the feedback.

Will provide plenty of feedback! Initial installation impression of them is good. The components are nice, especially the billet coil seat. I did buy a new set of strut mounts to install them with since mine were well worn. A wall mount spring compressor would be ideal because the coils are wound too tight for the traditional clamp style parts store compressors to work. Moving the lock ring into the top position added enough length to the whole set up that it required me to drop the lower ball joint/control arm out by separating it from the knuckle in order to get them in them in place. Once in place we compressed them with a floor jack under the LCA.

The lock ring is set at the top, which Bilstein claims is 2.5" of lift on a Double Cab and over 3" on a Access Cab. My only concern at this point is whether or not the included coil springs are heavy duty enough to support the extra weight of the Double Cab trucks over time. Plans include a winch bumper and winch down the road as well so not sure how that will play into equation. My thought is if these are indeed Eibach coils I could most likely source a longer/heavier coil to use with the added weight down the road.

View attachment 377277

I was hopeful the truck would be back on the road by this point but unfortunately the passenger lower shock bolt had other plans. After much pound and beating with very large hammers we threw in the towel and cut the lower strut bolt in two sections to remove the OEM coilover assembly. Patiently waiting on a new lower strut bolt to come into my local Toyota dealer tomorrow morning. Will update again once she's back on the road.

View attachment 377276

Do we know if OME coils would work on them yet? Kind of like the set up guys are running with the 5100's might be an easy fix if they start to say too much.

What perch are you running them on? Didn't see new UCA's. I guess time will tell

Go4Lo

Explorer
Do we know if OME coils would work on them yet? Kind of like the set up guys are running with the 5100's might be an easy fix if they start to say too much.

What perch are you running them on? Didn't see new UCA's. I guess time will tell

I don't think the Tacoma OME coils will work because the inner diameter is too small for the larger shock bodies on these. Will measure my buddy's OEM coils tomorrow and report back for sure.

Set on the top perch (2.5" of lift). No UCAs at this time. Not supposed to be a requirement for this set up although i will probably come back and add a set of Camburg UCAs when I do the lower ball joints for preventative maintenance.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Scored a set of 5th Gen T4R Trail Edition wheels off Craigslist that I'm going to run with 1.25" spacers and 285s. A little test fitting :sombrero:

IMG_5979.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
Finished installing the lift along with the new tires and wheels today. Happy with how it turned out. Just need some seat time now to really get a feel for the new suspension.

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

tyv12

Adventurer
Looks good, do you have a picture slog the side to show how the offset sits with those wheels/spacers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTempleton

Observer
Oh man. That looks freakin awesome. I've always liked the clean look of stock wheels. Still interested to hear how that suspension rides.

River19

Observer
Looks real nice......let us know how you like those tires......between all our rigs I always feel like I am buying tires for something.....

Go4Lo

Explorer
Looks good, do you have a picture slog the side to show how the offset sits with those wheels/spacers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been full on monsoon here all day so I haven't had a chance to snap any more pics. I can tell you with the 1.25" spacers and the offset on these wheels the tires are sitting basically flush with the outside of the DC flares. Personally it's a little too wide for my taste but I can't clear the UCAs without the spacers. I found a set of .75" BORA spacers that I may give a try. I'm rubbing the pinch seam pretty bad on the passenger but no rubbing on the driver's side. I think my caster on the passenger side is off. Dropping her off at the alignment shop in the morning to get everything dialed in.

For the rear I'm just using a 1.5" block and stock shocks until the 5160s arrive. With the lift block I have approximately 1/2" - 1" of rake with just the shell on there and nothing else in the bed. Planning to add a RTT soon so she should level out. Other than the additional track width I'm VERY happy with the tire/wheel selection. I wavered back and fourth on running these wheels vs an aftermarket set and these tires vs the KO2s. Glad I chose this combo. The tires look great in person and seem to be very quite on the road. The tread design is a bit more aggressive than the KO2s which is a plus as well. Oh and with the Black Friday deals they were a few hundred less. Look forward to getting them off the pavement and in the dirt for some real testing.

One more close up shot.

IMG_5987.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
Looks awesome. I love those wheels! I keep seeing them on different Toyotas and they just keep looking better and better. Well done!

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
When I was wheel searching before buying tires I wanted OEM because I think it has a great look. I ended up with FJ80 wheels but I really wanted a set like yours. I just couldn't find them for what I wanted to spend!

Go4Lo

Explorer
Pinch Seam Trim

Had the truck aligned this morning to correct the normal post lift problems including maxing out the caster in an effort to eliminate the pinch seam rubbing. All is fine on the road but once she starts to articulate the tire is back into the pinch seam. I knew this wouldn't fly off-road so out came the metal cutting tools and off went the pinch seam and some more metal :wings:

The aftermath....

IMG_6178.jpg

I don't think it will rub now. Once the epoxy sealant dries I'll hit it with some rattle can black paint to finish it off.

IMG_6177.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78