Info on a 97 Disco?

Lenny

I'm looking into a Disco and I'm going between an 04 or a 97 I could just pay cash for. I found a 97 that looks clean and has around 120k for $2250. here's the carfax. http://www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?report=1AB6399FE4BBAB155FD0DD6566F2BB11 What do you think about the price? How's the history of the 97's?

What would it cost to have a new engine put in the 97?
I have a 08 jeep but I miss not having a car payment. I know I may be trading payment for repairs but...

outinthewoods

Adventurer
That's shockingly close to my situation. I have a very built up 08 rubicon, that I sold a Toyota to build up, and now I'm really thinking Land Rover...

Post if you get some more info on a new engine, maybe some of the rover guys on here have some suggestions on buying an older series 1 or 2

SeaRubi

Explorer
You will find a similar "feel" to a Land Rover compared to the JK, in my opinion. I had two Range Rover classics - one a SWB and then one an LWB. I sold both, bought an LJ Rubicon. Then I traded that in for an 2008 JK Unlimited. I too could not continue on with a car payment due to cross country moves and a deep desire for career change - now I'm shopping again for a LR product. Just accept that parts are more expensive, and that it will need more maintenance than your JK and you'll do fine.

One word of warning: do not believe that you need big tires and deep gearing on these rigs like you're used to seeing with Jeep builds. The nice thing about Land Rovers is that they can tackle the same terrain with less tire, less lift, and higher axle ratios than other makes. Off-road you can beat the living p1$$ out of them and they will hold.

cheers,
-ike

outinthewoods

Adventurer
One word of warning: do not believe that you need big tires and deep gearing on these rigs like you're used to seeing with Jeep builds. The nice thing about Land Rovers is that they can tackle the same terrain with less tire, less lift, and higher axle ratios than other makes. Off-road you can beat the living p1$$ out of them and they will hold.

cheers,
-ike

Yeah I know what you mean. Coming from the Toyota side of the fence, I see what a good all around design can get you over on 33"s.

lake_bueller

Observer
I'm looking into a Disco and I'm going between an 04 or a 97 I could just pay cash for. I found a 97 that looks clean and has around 120k for $2250. here's the carfax. http://www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?report=1AB6399FE4BBAB155FD0DD6566F2BB11 What do you think about the price? How's the history of the 97's?

What would it cost to have a new engine put in the 97?
I have a 08 jeep but I miss not having a car payment. I know I may be trading payment for repairs but...

Does it need a new engine? If so, then $2250 is way too much to pay. Otherwise, it's not a bad price for a clean Disco. Any pictures?

My first Rover was a '97 Disco. It would still be with my today if I hadn't accidently drowned a few years ago. It had 160k miles at the time and was still running strong.

There will be some maintenance issues that should probably be addressed right away. Small things like new plugs and wires; vaccuum lines; PCV kit; oil pan cleaning; etc. These are not big ticket items. But they will require a little time. Also expect to replace the fuel pump if it hasn't already been done. There is a over the counter Chevy part that is an easy replacement for 1/3 the cost of a genuine part.

I'd also check the condition of the suspension. It's probably due for an upgrade:cool:

SeaRubi

Explorer
Does it need a new engine? If so, then $2250 is way too much to pay. Otherwise, it's not a bad price for a clean Disco. Any pictures?

I think it depends; I'd gladly pay a bit more for a clean truck with a nice interior that needed some engine or drivetrain work, than to buy a rough looking example with a running but maintenance-unknown drivetrain. these things are getting old enough that chances are you'll be dipping into rebuild soon enough, anyway. It's tough to find a Rangie now that hasn't been beat to crap on the interior.

revor

Explorer
I have two 97's, they've had the living crap beat out of them in the name of product testing...

Have them both still and they show no signs of giving up.

jpc1818

Adventurer
I would have to agree...I have had a few jeeps and my 97 and 98 disco's are awesome when compared to the jeeps.. Your platform on the LR's are a much better start. With that said, my 98 is my DD and out-wheels my brother's 2009 jeep Rubi...HE hates it and i love it!!!!! :)

:coffeedrink:

colvere

Observer
I wish i hadnt sold my 97. I had 160,000 and never had an issue. I prefer the DI over the DII. I am still looking for a good DI now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78