Info on a 97 Disco?

dino2000

Observer
Which is prefered, DI or DII? What years do the I's end and the II's start?

Was looking at buying a jeep but would much rather have a Disco or Classic as daily driver /Expo rig. The Super Duty is getting to be a PITA as a daily.

Thanks in Advance, Dino

I'm biased...having owned a '94 D1 from new...but I'd say, duh, D1...hey, it's even got a distributor!

The D2's have had such minimal imapct on my little brain, that I can't even tell you the crossover year(s).

dino2000

Observer
OK Monkey, heres the skinny (according to Wiki)

D1 from 1989 to 1999. First year in the U.S. is 1994.
D2 from 1999 to 2004.

So my question is, which year(s) D1 are ideal?

Last edited:

Green96D1

Explorer
OK Monkey, heres the skinny (according to Wiki)

D1 from 1989 to 1999. First year in the U.S. is 1994.
D2 from 1999 to 2004.

So my question is, which year(s) D1 are ideal?

if a D1 the early 94-95 or 99 D1 are ideal with that being said I have 97 and it has been great.

if a D2 then a 2004 comes with everything. 4.6 v8 ETC = electronic traction control and Centre diff lock

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
D-I: most preferred = '94 & '95, then '97-'99. Avoid '96
D-II: '99 & early '00 = still have T-case w/ lock, just need to get linkage to hook up. '04 by far the best- CDL, upgraded lights and ABS mapping, and 4.6- also the most expensive and sought after. Caution w/ any that have ACE- works great, gets noisy w/ time, and can be expensive to fix/replace. Note: D-II w/ ACE is the best ramp score of any Rover ever built right out of the box, fyi.
Bottom line: both have the same wheelbase, D-II has 10" more rear overhang, D-I much easier to field repair, and simpler design suspension- no rear Watts linkage, hence same design as Defenders. Lastly, D-I has full float rear axle which can be a biggie in certain instances. D-IIs are the last Rover with beam axles- available Stateside; Defender still does for ROW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater