Interior lighting

NOPEC

I am planning on using some old school Track Lighting. It will be wired for 12 volts. I will have modified lights, fans, USB plugs, hooks, etc. so that they can be moved around as needed.

The track is thick enough so that I can run a string of remote programable LED strips on the edge. I like the WYZE LED strings.

I am also just about to start wiring the DC lights on my project using surface run wire enclosures with simple LED lamps.

A while ago, being an outdoor gear snob of sorts, I held my nose and bought a mid-quality LED USB rechargable headlamp, "Streamlight" brand. After a year and half, the thing has been nothing short of supurb. Super bright, robust and holds a charge for a considerable time. Sadly, my aging collection of old Petzl and Black Diamond double AA eaters has been banished to the bottom of a gear box, perhaps never to see the "light" again.

Being a new convert, I am going to use some version of a rechargble "camp light" or "auto overhead/trunk light", leaning to the latter for switch and charging port accessablity. The main complaints with these lights seem to be with the magnetic attachment system which is easily fixed with industrial velcro. My plan is to use two of these as reading lights in the cab over bed area. That way, I can limit my surface run wiring to the main part of the cab. If these things do half as well as my rechargable headlamp, I will be delighted. Of course, all available at the "A" store.....

51KQvDqP8aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

41uOLVC2ZFL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

simple

Adventurer
I am also just about to start wiring the DC lights on my project using surface run wire enclosures with simple LED lamps.

A while ago, being an outdoor gear snob of sorts, I held my nose and bought a mid-quality LED USB rechargable headlamp, "Streamlight" brand. After a year and half, the thing has been nothing short of supurb. Super bright, robust and holds a charge for a considerable time. Sadly, my aging collection of old Petzl and Black Diamond double AA eaters has been banished to the bottom of a gear box, perhaps never to see the "light" again.

Being a new convert, I am going to use some version of a rechargble "camp light" or "auto overhead/trunk light", leaning to the latter for switch and charging port accessablity. The main complaints with these lights seem to be with the magnetic attachment system which is easily fixed with industrial velcro. My plan is to use two of these as reading lights in the cab over bed area. That way, I can limit my surface run wiring to the main part of the cab. If these things do half as well as my rechargable headlamp, I will be delighted. Of course, all available at the "A" store.....

51KQvDqP8aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

41uOLVC2ZFL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Not very low pro but we have really liked the Goal Zero crush lights. The silicone makes for a nice shade.

NOPEC

Not very low pro but we have really liked the Goal Zero crush lights. The silicone makes for a nice shade.

I really like Goal Zero products, we have one of their an indestructible folding solar panels. I looked hard at the light you mentioned as well as Fenix camp lights (the one that looks like a blue or orange snail...), confident that the quality was definely there with both brands. The layout of switches and charging ports of the ones I mentioned in my post work a little better for us. That being said, if those turn out to be carp, I definitely will up the game to either GZ or Fenix.

llamalander

I've installed Diode LED 12/24v. strips and fixtures in homes and stores for years.
The company moved to Reno a few years back, but still makes excellent products; reliable, consistent and well supported.
They also make a few different dimmer/control modules that are worth a look.

Bigc3031

I've installed Diode LED 12/24v. strips and fixtures in homes and stores for years.
The company moved to Reno a few years back, but still makes excellent products; reliable, consistent and well supported.
They also make a few different dimmer/control modules that are worth a look.
Those look really nice. I couldn’t find the details, do they make a power supply that would run off a battery in a truck bed via a cig adapter?

llamalander

My guess is that it can work on the range of voltages that a car would supply (11-14v), meaning wire directly to the cig. outlet, with a fuse probably. I may have a chance to check soon. There are fewer choices of dimmers for 12v than 120v, but they make a few and can suggest other compatible ones too. I'll post when I learn more-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior