Introducing myself and my van.

mwoods

Dan, thanks for sharing! Very nice Van. I have a stock E350 and am thinking about different ways to configure it. I'd love to see a couple of pics of the inside of your van, if possible.

dansvan

Observer
I'll take a few pics of the inside soon. Right now it has the bed removed and the 3 benches installed as I took my entire family (extended) on a trip up towards a crashed KB-29 outside of Wasilla, Ak. I'll be re-installing the bed soon for more winter trips.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Ever thought about reversing the shackles up front for a better ride quality? Or do those 44's have enough sidewall flex to make up for it?

dansvan

Observer
IMHO reversed shackles have more negatives than positives. For a strictly on road vehicle it may be ok. I don't like the idea of caster going negative (decreased directional control) under extreme braking. I don't like the drive shaft issues of the pinion rotating down under droop and having to run an extended slip yoke. Leaf springs with higher arches tend to need a shackle in the back simply to have a decent ride. A flatter spring see's less fore and aft movement and doesn't have that problem. Having owned and worked both styles hard, shackle in front is the style I prefer. And yes, the 44" air bags soak up alot. I can go faster on gravel washboard roads than anyone I travel with. Which is generally too fast to see the scenery anyway. But it's nice for those "been there done that" trips.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Awesome! keep the pics coming:) Do you have the inside layed out like a camper or is it still 14 passenger?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
dansvan said:
I'll take a few pics of the inside soon. Right now it has the bed removed and the 3 benches installed as I took my entire family (extended) on a trip up towards a crashed KB-29 outside of Wasilla, Ak. I'll be re-installing the bed soon for more winter trips.

Pictures!!! Please!!!

Red Lodge

What does it ride like on the road? Last time I was in Wasilla it was scary. It's starting to look like California.

Just put the van on a barge and I'll pick it up when it arrives. The check is in the mail. :safari-rig: I'm just sayin' VERY nice rig.

dansvan

Observer
Red Lodge said:
What does it ride like on the road? Last time I was in Wasilla it was scary. It's starting to look like California.

Just put the van on a barge and I'll pick it up when it arrives. The check is in the mail. :safari-rig: I'm just sayin' VERY nice rig.

Interior can be converted back and forth between the bench seats and the camper style.

Thanks for all the compliments. It makes it all worth while.

As for the road ride, everyone that has ever ridden in it is surprised with how smooth and quiet it is. It does have a little steering wheel nibble around 45mph, but nothing even close to what the license plate would suggest. It goes straight, I can drive it with a few fingers. In 4wd on the roads though the Powerloc in the front diff. likes to make it go straight. But thats the price you pay to play off road. It changes lanes smooth and is not affected by the ruts. Too wide I guess. It pullls mountain hills very nice. Just kick it into "D" and go. I love the V10. Great power, decent gas mileage for a rig this size, never a check engine light, never a miss. And I don't have the extra 600lbs of diesel sitting over my front axle. Don't get me wrong, I love diesels, my other van has one, I'm just glad this one doesn't.

Stopping is ok, I've never panic stopped it with the 44"s, but the brakes will lock them up. One thing I did do was install a steering box brace and that made a noticable difference in steering feel. Also I'm running high steer arms with no coil spring in the kingpins, just shims. This tightened up the steering "feel" as well.

It's not a sports car. It handles like a big lifted rig. But no excessive body lean. If you are used to it then you're fine. My wife drives it frequently. I would not let just anyone jump in it though.

Benthosboy

How much???

dansvan said:
It gets 9-11mpg fully loaded for a trip.

I know you folks have always enjoyed cheaper fuel than us, but at the moment our diesel is equivalent to approximately 2 dollars a litre. Can you imagine the fuel bill for that sort of consumtion at over 9,( yes 9!!) dollars a gallon :eek: :eek: :eek:

My last "expedition" last month was a round trip of 1200 miles to the west coast of Scotland. At just short of 30 mpg in my camper I can live with it but 9-11, I shudder to think about it.

Martyn.

FROADER

Adventurer
I've seen this van on Pirate and I'm glad to see a more detailed write up on it here. Great work! By any chance do you have pics of your spare swing out design?

Also, that blue explorer in the first couple of snow pics you have up. Does that belong to a guy that goes by LD50 on explorerforum dot com?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78