Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Anyone here know where I can order a replacement gas strut for the back door? Long story short while down in Baja this past month a huge gust of wind picked up and the rivets completely sheared, along with the strut basically bent in half haha. I knew this would eventually happen, but would like to replace (although it might not be worth it). Thanks!
Guden is a great source. I replaced both struts that support the bed platform. Customer service helped me determine what size based on the info listed on the original strut.

smbisig

Adventurer
Since we are speaking of the struts, anyone remove one per side or find softer struts to make it easier to close? Mine seems a little harder to close than others (my father's is easier) to close. And yes, I am closing it correctly pulling straight down and with all the windows open to allow the air to escape.

fourfa

Observer
You’re welcome to have my rear door strut. When mine sheared the rivets off the rear mount (predictably - a horrible design with unnecessary moment arm and far too strong a gas strut) I got rid of the whole assembly. Opening the door 180 instead of 90 has been my best mod to the camper.

(Obviously this won’t work if you use the back right or back of the door to mount anything, which I don’t)

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
What does everyone use for an indoor/outdoor thermometer? I like to see how cold it gets overnight and currently use a cheap one that requires clipping the external sensor somewhere outside once reaching camp. Preferably, it would be nice to have a system in which you mount the outside sensor "permanently."

I use a digital thermometer with a wired outside probe. The thermometer body is velcroed to the underside of the small section of the sleeping platform. The probe sits outside at the base of the rear tent. It passes through the camper body via a small hole drilled into the wire chase at the rear. I weather proofed the wire/hole with RTV. Placement of the probe means it is enclosed with the tent when the lid is down and exposed to the elements when up.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Since we are speaking of the struts, anyone remove one per side or find softer struts to make it easier to close? Mine seems a little harder to close than others (my father's is easier) to close. And yes, I am closing it correctly pulling straight down and with all the windows open to allow the air to escape.
You're talking about the struts for the tent top itself, yes? It's easy to source struts of different lift capabilities for the side hatches but I don't think I've ever read about anyone swapping them out for the main tent. I'm sure someone has though... Perhaps OK4WD can point you in the right direction in terms of length and default rating.

smbisig

Adventurer
Anyone here know where I can order a replacement gas strut for the back door? Long story short while down in Baja this past month a huge gust of wind picked up and the rivets completely sheared, along with the strut basically bent in half haha. I knew this would eventually happen, but would like to replace (although it might not be worth it). Thanks!

I upgraded the strut system with the 813 strap kit. I didn't like how the bracket flexed so much and this pretty much cured the issue.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I upgraded the strut system with the 813 strap kit. I didn't like how the bracket flexed so much and this pretty much cured the issue.

I'm running this kit also. It's a nice upgrade, easy to install and keeps the door in check in all conditions I've encountered. 813 Fabrication has a bunch of really nice parts for the ALCC.

MR E30

Can you share a photo of the damage your rear door strut sustained?

Mine came with a strap just above the strut from Alu-Cab when I purchased it.

My 33" Spare actually does the job of stopping the door at roughly 90 degrees, as it presses into the passenger side molle panel. It is slightly bowing it despite my best efforts.

smbisig

Adventurer
Can you share a photo of the damage your rear door strut sustained?

Mine came with a strap just above the strut from Alu-Cab when I purchased it.

My 33" Spare actually does the job of stopping the door at roughly 90 degrees, as it presses into the passenger side molle panel. It is slightly bowing it despite my best efforts.

You probably have the 813 strap kit.

fourfa

Observer
IMG_0767.jpeg
Here’s a photo of the stock Alu-Cab strap, in orange and black with Alu-Cab printed all over it. Goes between the camper-side and door-side brackets as a limit strap. This is right after my camper-side bracket sheared out all its rivets. At the top you can see in silver (bare aluminum) and white (some ineffective adhesive) where the bracket was before it tore out

It never occurred to me that not all ACCCs came with this strap and strut arrangement, but maybe that’s the case.

dvivian

View attachment 808499
Here’s a photo of the stock Alu-Cab strap, in orange and black with Alu-Cab printed all over it. Goes between the camper-side and door-side brackets as a limit strap. This is right after my camper-side bracket sheared out all its rivets. At the top you can see in silver (bare aluminum) and white (some ineffective adhesive) where the bracket was before it tore out

It never occurred to me that not all ACCCs came with this strap and strut arrangement, but maybe that’s the case.
That is exactly the same thing that happened to mine. Horrible design frankly.

bikelanta

Adventurer
Does anyone know what the name is for the style of door lock that is used on the rear hatch door? Or have a link to similar style door locks/latch?

Last edited:

fourfa

Observer
They make a point of saying they’re inspired by the camming latches on shipping containers… But I don’t see any standardized language for describing those :/

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Does anyone know how the interior roof is constructed? Is there a wood or aluminum sheet where the quilted material is? I’ve seen the video where someone hard mounted a fan but wanted some more specifics. Wanting to mount a ram ball to it for my kids to enjoy movies while the adults are around the campfire.
I can’t answer your question in terms of materials, but I did purchase and install this in like 5 minutes to get a ball mount for a fan or tablet. Very nice accessory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior