Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Espo78

Adventurer
I've been researching these and I need "real world" opinions on the width of the sleeping area. I always camp with my wife. We currently sleep on an Exped Megamat Duo 10 which measures 40" wide. It works in our current truck topper camper setup but its definitely "cozy". I've been looking all over for some kind of review of how it feels sleeping with a partner in the Canopy Camper and have not come across a single review.

I've seen 2 dimensions posted for widths for the ACCC.

Dimensions:

• Main Bed Section: 2075mm x 1225mm (81.6" x 48.22")
  • Rear Bed Section: 1225mm x 430mm x 1340mm (48.22" x 16.9" x 52.7")
  • Roof Bed Size: 2600mm x 1340mm (102.3" x 52.7")

Both listed widths are wider than what we currently have, but I'm not sure what the 4" difference is between the descriptions. I'm wondering if the bed tapers narrower at the front?

Some other campers I've considered have much wider sleeping areas, but other factors prohibit them from being viable options currently.

Any real world opinions on sleeping would be great. BTW I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5' so we aren't huge people. We sleep on a Queen at home which is only slightly wider than the 52" measurement.

Thanks guys!

cug

@Espo78 – the difference might be the sleeping area vs. mattress size. There is a sizable gap on each side of the mattress. I haven't measured it though.

And your height doesn't mean much regarding whether the bed is wide enough or not. It's either your own width or your sleeping position. We are 6' and 5'7" and while it's tight, it's not a problem. We also use a queen size bed at home and while it's wider, the bed in the ACCC has walls on the sides, so no fear of falling out. We get along fine with it.

loudpawlz

I've been researching these and I need "real world" opinions on the width of the sleeping area. I always camp with my wife. We currently sleep on an Exped Megamat Duo 10 which measures 40" wide. It works in our current truck topper camper setup but its definitely "cozy". I've been looking all over for some kind of review of how it feels sleeping with a partner in the Canopy Camper and have not come across a single review.

I've seen 2 dimensions posted for widths for the ACCC.

Dimensions:

• Main Bed Section: 2075mm x 1225mm (81.6" x 48.22")
  • Rear Bed Section: 1225mm x 430mm x 1340mm (48.22" x 16.9" x 52.7")
  • Roof Bed Size: 2600mm x 1340mm (102.3" x 52.7")

Both listed widths are wider than what we currently have, but I'm not sure what the 4" difference is between the descriptions. I'm wondering if the bed tapers narrower at the front?

Some other campers I've considered have much wider sleeping areas, but other factors prohibit them from being viable options currently.

Any real world opinions on sleeping would be great. BTW I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5' so we aren't huge people. We sleep on a Queen at home which is only slightly wider than the 52" measurement.

Thanks guys!
You'll be fine. We replaced the stock mattress with the Exped you currently have - they are roughly the same size. Exped is way more comfortable.

Many nights over 2 years and no regrets.

cug

Ah, regarding mattress, we decided NOT to replace the mattress but to use the Froli Travel system to add some more cushion/flex and, just as important, add more venting.

IMG_5640.jpeg

Works perfectly for us with the original mattress. It adds some height, so you have be careful what you leave on the mattress when closing the tent.

We didn't want anything that
  1. uses air and will be horrible when it fails and
  2. especially not something that shares the same air chamber for two people.
The reason for #2 is that I move a lot during the night and it will drive my wife crazy if bounces around all the time.

dpsmedic

Adventurer

Thanks guys!
Hello, we (6’ & 5’4”) have no issues in our canopy camper. I started with the Alu-Cab OE mattress, went to the Exped and now use Hest. I like the Hest dually long the best. Solid night sleep for both of us. Leave it fully made up with flannel sheets, Pendleton wool blanket and a down duvet with pillows all in place when I close up the tent with no issues. The above use of the Froli Travel system with the OE mattress seems like a good option as well.

ALU CAB ROOF TOP TENT FIT CHECK FOR HEST DUALLY LONG

Attachments

• IMG_9053.jpeg
    IMG_9053.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

LunarErik

Ill be another voice recommending the Hest Dually Long. Its the best sleep I have found in the camper yet. Worth every penny.

fourfa

Observer
The platform itself is 52” wide. The supplied mattress is 48” wide. Pretty much all of my camping nights are with my lady, and by the end of the night we end up with one large dog between our feet and another in between us. (They’re nominally supposed to sleep on the dog beds on the hatch.). Plenty of room for all of us.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Ill be another voice recommending the Hest Dually Long. Its the best sleep I have found in the camper yet. Worth every penny.
Same - I balked for a long while of dropping that much cash for foam wrapped in cloth; however, I picked one up with an REI discount and I'm a believer now. I find it significantly more comfortable than the OE mattress, both back and side sleeping. Works fine in the cold unlike some foams. Also still fits with all bedding left up there.

It's also way easier to get in and out of the camper for cleaning and cover washing, etc.

kfricke87

Hello, I am curious how these are holding up being stored in rainy places like the PNW?

I dont have many options otherwise but love these setups.

Thanks

Espo78

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback on the sleeping width! I'm so tempted and I have a line on a used one that would save me around ~$3k. My only hesitation is debating if I will actually use it enough to justify the jump in cost over my current topper w/ easylift setup. Standing room would be so nice.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Hello, I am curious how these are holding up being stored in rainy places like the PNW?

Thanks
I’ve never had any water ingress in my ALCC when the top is popped while camping or closed up and driving through heavy rain. I guess some of the early gen RTTs had some issues, but that seems to be in the rear view mirror.

I do get a little moisture in around the zipper of my privacy shelter cover, but the shadow awning on the other side stays dry when stowed.

Thanks
We went through six months of rainy season in Central America, six months of daily, monsoon-level rain. No water ingress. I do firmly believe these units should be installed by an authorized distributor who understands how to seal them properly.

Did a bit of work yesterday upgrading my potable water system. I decided to stick with small water cans vs. a large water tank and a 12V pump. Rotopax work the best for me for the areas I have for storage. I keep two behind my NL freezer/fridge up against the bulkhead. I Iike them there, out of the way. But of course getting them out, pouring water, putting them back is a bit of a pain.

I ended up adding a third rotopax and installed it to the interior of the rear camper door where it will stay clean and not freeze. I modified the cap to accept the tube of a food grade siphon with a hand pump bulb I found on Amazon. If the end of the hose is below the water line in the Rotopax the water free flows like a regular gravity shaker siphon. If I'm inside I can still get water using the hand pump. Now I can just rotate thru the Rotopax as I empty one.

Was a tight fit but everything works great and there is enough clearance with the camper door closed to still open the GG cabinet drawers. :)View attachment 662320View attachment 662321
Nice drawer organizers! Where did you pick those up?

Wingknut

anyone have jerry can holder mounted on the back molle panel?
Have alucab jerry holders on both sides of door on Tacoma DCLB. Works well. (BTW I prefer the alucab holders to many others because mounted backward it presents only the narrow edge of holder to the wind, so less resistance and noise.)

cug

Hey folks, I have a question for these who installed a GP-Factor rear door table in the canopy camper.

I'm mounting the table to my own backplate (I bought just the table and brackets, not the backplate) and have run into a puzzle:

There is a rubber bumper preventing the table from moving and rattling when closed. This bumper sits in a hole in the stainless steel bracket. Now, the bumper stem itself is too long for hole in the bracket alone. Do you know/remember from when you mounted the table whether the GP-Factor backing plate is drilled out behind this "bumper hole"?

IMG_6336.jpeg

Don't mind that it is held in place by bolts, I'm going to use rivets, just like the original mounting, once I have figured out everything. And that rubber bumper thingy is the last thing I need to figure out to finally mount the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior