InvisibleOne's BugOut Build.

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
Thought I'd start me another build thread just to be sure I never get anything actually done other than blogging. This rig was my daily a few years back, then the wife took it over and it became the kid hauler. She feels safe in it and likes to drive it so I relinquished the DuraMax and drove my work van most of the time. She nicknamed this truck "DeathStar" for obvious reasons, and got quite fond of driving it. Eventually I got tired of driving my box van everywhere and bought a classic suburban that I intended to build out for my bugout / adventure wheeler but after searching for a cherry suburban for a year and then finding it, I've now decided that it is in fact too cherry to molest and that I'd rather build out the DeathStar. It's what we always take on the family trips and the rig everyone seems the most comfortable it. Besides, it has way more power, is just idling at 65 and gets way better mileage. So the 'Burb is up for sale and the DeathStar is undergoing a facelift. I've built plenty onto this thing in the eight years I've owned it so this is more of a facelift than a build.

First off, the build goals:

Family Adventure / Tow Vehicle
Like I said, this is the rig everyone is most comfortable in and the one we always seem to hop in when we are headed somewhere as a family, especially weekend adventures. It also tows the trailers so it always seems to be the default vehicle. Just seems logical to build it out a little more purposefully to make those trips a bit more comfortable and to have some inventory 'stock' on board at all times.

BugOut Vehicle
The economy isn't getting better despite the pre-election ra-ra propaganda, our country has never been in worse financial condition. I'm not looking to start any sort of a debate here, my opinions are steadfast. I believe that there very much exists a strong possiblity that I may need to get me and mine out of our sub-urban paradise at some point in time. In the not-so-unlikely event that we do need to boog, I want to the rig prepared for the task and comfortable for the kids. On a moments notice.

With those two points made I have elected that the DuraMax QuadCab is a better fit for this than the Suburban.

To start things off, I wanted a more usable bedspace. I have some sweet tuffy boxes in the back right now, which are killer but I want the convienince of the win-doors. I'm a big Craigslist fan and have been keeping my eye out for a utility type shell for quite some time. I decided to sell the slick Leer that I bought the truck with. Its a good looking shell, I might regret selling it...

BlkShell.jpg

But I found what I had been looking for on CL at a Truck Wrecking Yard in the Southbay and had to let the Leer go to raise the funds to pick up this utilitarian beauty.

Junkyard Shell.jpg

It worked out perfectly. A guy came and bought the Leer last night, and today for a mere $100 more on my end, I got this here A.R.E. I'm stoked on it, it's all aluminum, much light than the Leer (to my surprize) and in superb condition. Could be my all time best junkyard pick. Once I got it on the truck, however, I started having serious second thoughts. These things are far from 'slick'. I'm hoping it will look better once I get it painted black and a rack on it. It won't go back on the truck until it's painted, 'cause right now it's straight up fugly. I'm into function and all but I got some vehicular vanity too.

NewShell.JPG

I hope I didn't make a mistake I'll come to regret.... the wife is pissed. She thinks this new shell is hideous. Oh well, time to get to work.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I personally like the look of that shell. I am wondering if it would not be best to leave the shell white due to the fact that if it is painted black to match the truck it might get very hot:Wow1: inside! Regardless of what colour you paint it you will have to insulate it or it will become unbearable in the heat, and a big problem with condensation in other temperatures. I have heard that if you insulate with styrofoam that it can give some loud squeaky noises when it flexes and moves while travelling down the road. I have a HUGE aluminum canopy on my rig and I used standard fiferglass insulation on my rig with a plastic vapour barrier on the side of the insulatioin facing inside. It has worked fine for me, was easy to install, and seems to be holding up great. You should also look into placing a roof top vent in the shell. Just a few ideas that I hope helps you out. Cheers, Chilli.:)

GREENI

Adventurer
+1
I prefer the look of the new back too.
Like you said, you don't want a debate on here about political stuff, I just keep reading about the whole 'bug out' thing and it seems a genuine worry over there. I hope it never has to happen...
I'll keep an eye on your build. :)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I dont meen to jack:Wow1:this threrad, but what are you driving Greeni and do you have a build thread? I live close to you just across the chanel in Denmark. Perhaps we can say hello sometime...:)

scrubber3

Not really here
I know the black would match, but wouldn't keeping it white make it more comfortable as to not absorb so much heat? Keep it cooler in there for any rear passengers/goods. Makes a little more practical sense. Insulation can be as easy as stick on sound insulator. Works well with no noises to deal with. Also keeps the weight down.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The ARE is "light years" ahead in practicality. I had the same Leer on my 92 F350 (bought it in Brentwood). I loved it, but the rear hatch being all glass can be a potential problem.

I think the clear choice is paint the sides and front and back black, but once you get a few inches onto the flat top, leave it white. You won't see it from anywhere but in a heli. Kind of like the school buses in the desert states do? That and the vent and sound mat should keep heat a non-issue.

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
The ARE is "light years" ahead in practicality.

Agreed. The functionality of the wings and the barn doors is what drew me to them. I looked at fiberglass units with Win-doors, but I really like the barn door back and the fact that I can attach to the interior framing. THe lightweight is just a bonus.

I think the clear choice is paint the sides and front and back black, but once you get a few inches onto the flat top, leave it white. You won't see it from anywhere but in a heli. Kind of like the school buses in the desert states do? That and the vent and sound mat should keep heat a non-issue.

My thoughts exactly. While everyone else makes a strong case regarding comfort (thanks for the input by the way guys) I do suffer from the vanity of my builds and against all practicality looks matter to me. Not more than function as you can see by the shell swap, but to a degree more than it should. I'm aware of that.

Any suggestions on insulation? I'm not liking the rigid stuff as it probably will squeek as mentioned above so I'm thinking either spray-in foam insulation (which will alot of rigidity and sound ins) or that foil bubble wrap I've seen around ( that's the cheaper route). I plan to panel the interior with wood. SO I've got some thinking to do.

Any and all input is appreciated.

19psi

The Devil Made Me
i like the functionality of the new one, but like you, i want my stuff to look decent too. i think a partial paint job like mentioned above would be the way to go. all white as it is now is hideous!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Spray foam is an off gassing nightmare. I wouldn't let my dogs sleep in something foamed, so maybe the bubble wrap? It's not like you live in Death Valley, or Minnisota.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Nice canopy....how about a black stripe or a black splash somewhere on it. Easier than painting the whole
thing and it will keep cooler....
No vanity in Overlanding.... Fugly is good as long as functional :elkgrin:

Cheers
Eddy
PS Don't spray foam it.... 1" pink board insulation and 1/8th" grey or white plastic pebble baord to cover. Warm, cool, easy to clean :)

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
No vanity in Overlanding.... Fugly is good as long as functional :elkgrin:

LOL. This coming from the guy thats concerned about the color match of his fender flares being just a shade off... Dodge is looking real good by the way. Nice build you have going there.

Speaking of the insulation, Eddy, did you use the 1" ridgid pink board? No squeeks?

Last edited:

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
NEWS FLASH - BugOut Build Goes Even Money.

Given how well the 'swap' I made on the shell turned out financially, I thought I may add a new twist to this build. I was able to find the shell I wanted with an end cost to me of $100 based on the fact that I sold my old shell to get the cash to buy it. My checking account and I had this great idea. Why not try to fund the whole build this way and post up what I'm selling to fund what I'm buying just to hopefuilly encourage some other cash poor souls like myself to embark on a similar journey converting unwanted or unused stuff into expediationary funding? I can't imagine that I am the only one here with less available funds in this economy. Even if I motivate just one guy to get off the couch, it's time well spent to do so.

Is doing this a PITA? Yes it is. Selling stuff is always a pain. But believe me, there is nothing better than 'converting' unused merchandise into new stuff. ANd you may not know it, but you have stuff to sell. I've moved through hobbies and accumulated alot of stuff that I plain and simply either don't use, or have lost interest in. Tonight I'm going eBay and CL crazy. I'll post the stuff (relevant interest only) here for my ExPo brethen to get first dibs on, then show you what I'm buying with the 'recovered' funding.

I think the rules require that I post items for sale in that section so I may have to go that route. I'll be sure to name the thread something identifiable, and link from this thread to it.

First few things coming up to look for that ExPo junkies may be interested in:
PackRat Truck Box Drawer.
Powertank CO2 Tank and mount.
National Yellow Recovery Straps.

More to come.. Gotta get to digging.

Last edited:

fasteddy47

Adventurer
LOL. This coming from the guy thats concerned about the color match of his fender flares being just a shade off... Dodge is looking real good by the way. Nice build you have going there.

Speaking of the insulation, Eddy, did you use the 1" ridgid pink board? No squeeks?

On my last canopy I installed the one inch pink left about 3/16 of an inch between the styrofoam and the aluminum. I then flex caulked in the gap creating an air pocket between the aluminum post
and the foam. I stuck it to the aluminum with latex carpet adhesive. If you use petroleum based it will melt the styrofoam. Once in place I covered it with black mesh style cloth you can find at furniture or marine covering shops.
Same stuff as on the bottom of your sofa. This is what keeps it from squeaking once you put the Plastic shower board in.

For plastic shower board visit your local Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_72405-44905...=Shower+panel+4x8&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

It's about $20 a 4x8 sheet ..... cuts with a razor knife and will bend to the inside of your roofline on your canopy.... I will be doing mine in a few more weeks.... I cut out the foam already.
Just buy lots of razor knife blades and buy a good square and a 36" stell ruler to drag your razor knife along. I used white plastic xmas trees 3/16 holes and latex caulk to hold it to the aluminum.

A buddy has had that canopy for 3 years and no problems.

Cheers
Eddy
LOL.... My truck will get UGLY soon..lol

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Sounds like FastEddy has the right idea. Could lead to some serious improvments to that already awesome:Wow1: canopy!:)

Revco

Adventurer
Lizard Skin inside the shell, then 1" insulation sheets framed with 1/2x1", covered in panel board or ABS to finish it off. Would be well insulated, could hide wiring, etc. look good, and be comfortable.

I'm right on track with you about the possibility of needing to bail in a moments notice. Keep up the progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior