Is this 2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ Good Value?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I found this 2005 Rubicon LJ with 71K miles for $15K in the metro Boston area. I'm not too familiar with used car prices so I'd appreciate if folks who know more about this than I do could voice an opinion on whether this is a good deal.

Link to vehicle on dealer's web site

05rubicon04.jpg

Blingy bumpers aside, that is. :D

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Graham

monele

Adventurer
That seems like a fantastic deal!! I buddy of mine got a TJ Rubi, '06 2 years ago for $16K but it was with a salvage title and no roof, so a hard top and some accessories one one that looks to be in good shape seems like a steal. Check it over real good though, I've seen 1 dealer that got had and the Rubi they had on the lot had all the running gear out of a sport, i.e. no Dana 44's, no 241J not even the moab wheels.

Good luck trying to get 17mpg on the highway though!!!

JPFreek1

Explorer
Graham,

That looks like a nice deal on the LJ Rubi. Do you know if it has any additiona mods not obvious from the pic(s)? Keep us posted and good luck!

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
that boys and girls is the 2005 "Sahara movie" edition of the Jeep Unlimited. This was released for the move of the same name in 2005 (which the jeep was in). From what I can remember the sahara package was only cosmetic (chrome grill, smoke color moab wheels etc.) They are numbered as well since they are a special edition (I think only 1000 were made but I could be wrong).

The price is a smoking deal considering you are getting a rubicon (and one that does not look wheeled)

From the picture, the only think I can see that is not stock is the front and rear tube bumpers and the chrome side tubes as well.

I would jump on this!

i451_sahara0112801.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That's a pretty good deal, Graham. Miles are abit high for an '05 but it sure looks clean.

Bishop Creek

NOMADIC_LJ said:
that boys and girls is the 2005 "Sahara movie" edition of the Jeep Unlimited. This was released for the move of the same name in 2005 (which the jeep was in). From what I can remember the sahara package was only cosmetic (chrome grill, smoke color moab wheels etc.) They are numbered as well since they are a special edition (I think only 1000 were made but I could be wrong).

The price is a smoking deal considering you are getting a rubicon (and one that does not look wheeled)

From the picture, the only think I can see that is not stock is the front and rear tube bumpers and the chrome side tubes as well.

I would jump on this!

I would too! Indeed they only made 1000 of these Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Rubicons (longest vehicle name in auto history too). They are much sought after. The Rubicon owners web site has a listing of every owner.

maximumrob

Adventurer
I'd wait until gas prices go back up so the price on SUV's goes back in the tank.

I used this premise to buy my wife an '07 Suburban with 17,000 miles. We only gave $15k for that! ...and no, it isn't all torn up. The guy just wanted out from under it before he "couldn't sell it at all."

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
If the high mileage doesn't bother you, then it's not too bad. For comparison, I bought the same exact Jeep with 1,500 miles on it last month for $20,450.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

You might want to try and contact the prior owners to see if there had been any problems or to make sure it's not a flood vehicle. It looks clean and given how well Jeeps hold their value, I'm surprised it's that cheap. I would be cautious and give it a very good look over and drive. If you don't want it, then let me know.

Pete Wilson

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Thanks, all. I'm pondering...

$20K for a '95 with lots less miles is appealing, so is the low mileage 2007 Rubicon Unlimited I found for $21K. Saving $5K+ is more appealing and I could probably swap the blingy bumpers for normal ones.

The highish miles doesn't bother me much -- my '97 TJ has 175K miles and the only things that failed have been the sway bar links, header, radiator, water pump and a few wheel bearings.

The reason I like the Rubicon in the first place is I'm not mechanically motivated and the stock vehicle will go everywhere I need it to and then some. The only mod I could envisage would be a tummy tuck and then only if I really need it.

My problem is if I ask myself honestly "Is this the right vehicle for me?" the answer is that a 4Runner/Xterra/Liberty would be the way to go. They're way more practical and comfortable, very capable, large enough to sleep in and adding a roof rack is trivial. If I didn't enjoy the TJ so much it really wouldn't be an issue. I suppose its a high class problem. :)

Cheers,
Graham

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Grahamfitter,

I used to have a 86 CJ7 with a 360V8 with headers, 33x12.5 BFG's and even though it didn't have much room, I miss it a great deal. I drive a 99 WJ Grand Cherokee with a Garvin roof rack and lights and has more room. I would still rather have that old CJ. I can't afford a new 4dr Wrangler but I may look for an older Unlimited, It has storage room, better off road, and will hold it's value longer than my Grand. It's all in what you want and how you will use it. Good luck.

pete Wilson

Zorro

Adventurer
If the loonie wasn't dropping like car keys falling out of a Learjet right now, I'd be all over that. 15k for an LJ Rubicon ... dayum.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Here's another one with 10k miles for $20,899 at a Car Max. This one's in MD but they'll transfer it to your local dealer. That's what I did with mine. It was in Florida and they transferred it to me in CA.

This one has 27k, located in VA and is $19,599.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears