Is this 2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ Good Value?

titleguy

Observer
Two months ago I picked up a stock 2005 LJ Rubi, Khaki/Tan, auto, 27k miles, loaded, dual tops, clean title, for $16,900 at a dealer in SE Louisiana. They were blowing out SUVs they had taken in of trade because of gas prices.

I think with gas pricess dropping, values will rise again on SUVs.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Well its a moot point because it had sold before I even had a chance to go and kick the new Toyo MT tires. But I found another one at this dealer:

rubicon.jpeg

52K miles, dual tops, worn out tires, $17900.

The only thing that bugged me on the test drive was the binging noise whenever I use the handbrake, which is pretty much every time I stop. (Standard behavior in my native Britain.)

Still pondering...

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:

f9k9

Stay patient Graham. Expand the search, join ROF and feel free to reach out to a member that lives close to the Jeep to check it out for you. Investing in Carfax is a good idea. You get unlimited checks for one month for $30. Just start the carfax when you are really ready to buy. You can not toss a jeep on a dealers diagnostic for less than 3x that amount. Don't settle for less than a LJ and don't ask me how, I know.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:088: If you want something bigger, look for this

PICT0109.jpg

2008 Wrangler "unlimited" Rubicon and we can still sleep in the back, like we did in my '06 Xterra

Checkemout

:pROFSheriffHL: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

semp

Hi Graham, I was doing a search on the 2005 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon sahara and found this thread. I am the guy that purchased this jeep. I just picked it up today and drove it home to NY.

It was a smooth ride home and everything seems to be in great shape. I think the chrome has got to go though.

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Definitely hold out for an LJ. After owning both a SWB and now a LJ there is no way I could go back. I'd rather have a normal LJ vs a SWB Rubicon. It took me a month to find mine and I just happened into it.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
semp said:
Hi Graham, I was doing a search on the 2005 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon sahara and found this thread. I am the guy that purchased this jeep. I just picked it up today and drove it home to NY. I had put a best offer in on ebay and got it for $13000!

It was a smooth ride home and everything seems to be in great shape. I think the chrome has got to go though.

Hi semp,

Welcome to ExPo. :)

I didn't realize that Jeep was listed on ebay, too. That's a great deal even with those bumpers!

Cheers,
Graham

semp

I just discovered this site because of my search for more info on the jeep and I am getting way too many ideas already, looking at the articles and forum posts on here!

Makes me wonder what adventure there is to be had in a jeep up here in NY.

Yorker

Adventurer
semp said:
I just discovered this site because of my search for more info on the jeep and I am getting way too many ideas already, looking at the articles and forum posts on here!

Makes me wonder what adventure there is to be had in a jeep up here in NY.

Semp- Where in NY are you? There is a lot to explore all over the state.

semp

I'm in the Albany area. How about you? I've read that there's and Adirondack jeep club but I don't have too much info yet. I'm still just having fun driving this thing on the road! I can't wait to take it off the pavement.

Yorker

Adventurer
I'm in Duanesburg, KevinNY on this forum is from Guilderland too. I think there is a Jeep club in Schoharie County too if you are interested, I know I've seen a lot of built Jeeps in and around Cobleskill.

semp

I'm actually in Guilderland right by Crossgates Mall. Do you know of any trails right around here or Duanesburg? The jeep is stock now but it would be great to take it offroad on something easy to start.

That club sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that too, I'm new to this so I'm sure it would be a really big help.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
CA-RJ said:
Back on topic:

Graham, how's the Jeep search going?

I'm still pondering! I'm probably going to wait until the new year when child number two has her drivers license (and a job). There's no point in buying, insuring and digging around a third vehicle until we actually need to.

I did like the LJ though -- much much smoother and quieter than my TJ -- with fancy stuff like air conditioning and even carpets! I like the idea that I could buy a Rubicon and probably never need to upgrade any moving part.

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears