Issues with my Eezi-Awn

crazyjane

Observer
I too have had a tough time getting the cover just right. I'm not sure if my solution is the best but I cut 2 small triangular shaped pieces(5/8") out of the cover on the front and back and put a bungee cord to hold the respective sides closer to the tent while driving down the road. I secured them to the cord that runs through the sewn tunnel. It helped with the "ballooning". I did that before I learned to do the counter clockwise thing. But I don't ratchet it as tight either.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
crazyjane said:
I too have had a tough time getting the cover just right. I'm not sure if my solution is the best but I cut 2 small triangular shaped pieces(5/8") out of the cover on the front and back and put a bungee cord to hold the respective sides closer to the tent while driving down the road. I secured them to the cord that runs through the sewn tunnel. It helped with the "ballooning". I did that before I learned to do the counter clockwise thing. But I don't ratchet it as tight either.

Thats a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I've got to chime in being an owner of an 1800. I've had pretty good luck with mine with minimal/no issues in just over 30 nights of sleeping in it. Paul w/ Equipt obviously stands 110% behind the Eezi-Awn line and Mario/Martyn with AT have taken it even a step further in my mind. Last time my trailer was in for a "not to be mentioned" incident they went through my Eezi-Awn and replaced the hinge and secured the middle of the tent to the middle bar on the AT lid. Mind you I didn't even say anything about this. Now that is customer service and standing behind a product to the next level:exclaim: :clapsmile

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
lowenbrau said:
What is the retail on these things in Africa? $500 maybe? That's about what they are worth.

I will disagree here! The materials in the Eezi-Awn are hands down top notch, best of the best, most durable, etc...

There is probably $200-300 in canvas alone! They definitely do no skimp on the tent materials!

I have slept in my tent in rain AND snow and never got a drop of anything on me!

The "Tent" is awesome and very well made and thought out, my entire issue/reason for bitching is the cover!

lowenbrau

Explorer
Yeah my $500 estimation is out of date. Five years ago they sold for R4400 which was less than $500 US but these days they seem to fetch R7700 which with the struggling greenback is more like $1000.

$1000 in Africa vs $1800 in the US is probably not a bad ratio given all that is involved with getting them here.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Eezi Awn Cover Update

I wanted to give an update to this thread regarding a discussion I had with Eezi Awn and the concerns we are seeing in the US market.

The only change that Eezi Awn has done to their covers in the timeframe of our relationship is to increase the UV rating from 5 years to 7 years. This took the material to a 700 gram thickness. I was informed that this is more than 150 grams thicker that any other cover on the market currently. The gram increase also modified the finish of the material. The earlier covers had a single finished side, where the newer ones have both sides of the material finished. This had the effect of making the material a lot more plyable. It is not that the material is thinner, it's just not as stiff.

Eezi Awn also requested that their supplier be able to integrate the use of 2 meter wide material, up from the 1.5 meter material they were using. This was to decrease the seams on the top of the covers. This adjustment required 10 million Rand equipment upgrade on the part of their supplier.

The reinforced corners in the covers has been limited to the larger models and T-Top specifically. The covers I have do not include the corner reinforcements, but are made of the higher grade fabric.

The stitching thread on the covers is rated to 50 degrees C with out degredation. This is roughly 122 degrees F. They close the mitered corner of the strap around the lower perimeter and sew across it twice, then cut the miter to open it up again. This process will allow some stiches to open, but is stronger than stopping at each miter.

The covers are designed to be a perishable, and something that will need replacement over time. It sees the harshness of the sun, the errant branch, and the nasty brunt of a types of weather. Depending on the use, a cover has a lifetime. It protects the real asset, your tent. That is why we carry extras.

Eezi Awn assured me that they are responding to the concerns of our market. They haven't heard these issues from their other world markets, but understands that doesn't dilute their importance. We are working on several advancements with regard to the stitching and corner protection to the covers for upcoming inventory to the US.

I hope this helps to increase the understanding of cover construction. I will let you know if any more developments come about.

Thanks,

Willman

^Thanks Paul May for being the great person you are!!!!! You Rock!

Just got my 1800 series out of the box!

So far so good!

DSC04391.jpg

Only had one SMALL issue...just missing a piece of strapping that holds down the cover.....It was a VERY easy fix!!!!......

I'm 110% happy with my new tent! Got her all opened up.....My wife and little one are pumped about our new RTT. Eezi-Awn makes a great product! The construction of the tent feels and looks very strong!

I'm excited for this years travels in my new RTT!!!!

Like it said before......I'm 110% happy with my 1800 series!

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Nic

Congrats on the new tent, you are going to love it.

From the pictures a couple of minor suggestions.

When the trailer is on a flat spot deploy the tent and set the ladder up so that it has a 15' angle, mark that spot for drilling. Also mark two other spots one inch above and one inch below so you have 3 choices of ladder length depending on the ground surface.

When you deploy the tent on a hard surface, like your drive way, to stop the ladder from slipping out attach a ratchet strap around the base of the ladder and then around the base of the tire. If the ladder slips out with someone heavy inside the tent it may bend the hinges.

Equipt

Thanks Nic. I am glad you like the tent. It really does look good on your trailer. Especially behind the red Taco. Good planning.

Martyn does have some great suggestions there. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
I don't know Nic, in your photo it looks like your tent might have a vermin infestation... the giggly wiggly kind! :elkgrin:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Equipt said:
We are working on several advancements with regard to the stitching and corner protection to the covers for upcoming inventory to the US.

Thanks for the update/follow up Paul!

Please keep me in the loop on this!

Curious, on the "Hard Case" Eezi-Awn like Jacks, is that just a case or a cover or a whole different tent?

Thanks

Equipt said:
The reinforced corners in the covers has been limited to the larger models and T-Top specifically. The covers I have do not include the corner reinforcements, but are made of the higher grade fabric.,

Neither my 1800 or Vernys 2200 has the reinforcements and these are the 2 biggest models! :D

Willman

Martyn said:
Nic

Congrats on the new tent, you are going to love it.

From the pictures a couple of minor suggestions.

When the trailer is on a flat spot deploy the tent and set the ladder up so that it has a 15' angle, mark that spot for drilling. Also mark two other spots one inch above and one inch below so you have 3 choices of ladder length depending on the ground surface.

When you deploy the tent on a hard surface, like your drive way, to stop the ladder from slipping out attach a ratchet strap around the base of the ladder and then around the base of the tire. If the ladder slips out with someone heavy inside the tent it may bend the hinges.

Thanks Martyn!:bowdown:

Notes taken!!!

Ladder fitment on the list to do!.....Get idea on roping the ladder back to something!

vermin infestation... the giggly wiggly kind!

Big time!!!!.....She loves her new moblie basecamp!

Equipt

The hard case model mentioned was called the Alu-Top. It was a very cool design. It was roughly 1300mm wide and the case was aluminum, and built like a clam shell. Tough as nails. It is the one you see on the green 70 series they call Tubby Explorer.

They halted production of the Alu-Top in the fall of '06. The shear cost of the cast made it prohibitive to manufacture. I tried to get one for myself, but no luck. They are collectors items now.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
That's the ticket right there. Too bad its so expensive to manufacture. Wonder why they'd need a cast at all for something like that.

Equipt

I'm a pretty tall guy, and the distance from my brain to my fingers is rather long. My brain said "case", and by the time it got to my fingers, it came out as "cast". Lost in translation.

The case itself was too spendy, so they dropped it. There, that's better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior