Isuzu NPR 4x4 Beast! - Rebelzilla by Rebel Off Road

Some photos from our recent trip to Overland Expo in Flagstaff, Arizona. Who was able to make it out? Did you get to stop by and see Zilla? What was your favorite vehicle from this years Expo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pictures are great! ... But any update on the conversion? =)
Or should we be looking at the Fuso?

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Well - If you want a double cab 4wd Fuso in the states you are out of luck - they don't offer it here.

Also - this NPR has a GM V8 in it from Isuzu - although there are diesels also available in the double cab - just depends on what you want. Easier to hop up the V8 and stay CA legal from what I hear.

Best way to get more info if you are serious is to try and reach Rebel themselves for the pricing / availability. Maybe they decided it is to much work to build them?

DzlToy

Explorer
A double cab Fuso FE can easily be converted to an FG the same way that Rebel built their crew cab NPS in this thread.

Buy a used Fuso FE crew with the Aisin 68RC transmission, swap the tail housing using Dodge 4500 parts and bolt on an NV273 transfer case or an Atlas. Fabricate mounts for two solid axles of your choice, just like Rebel did and you have a diesel crew cab four wheel drive Fuso FG clone, that is arguably better than the OEM version.

I would presume that Rebel could easily build this for you, just like they built the one - off NPR in this thread.

The Artisan

Adventurer
A double cab Fuso FE can easily be converted to an FG the same way that Rebel built their crew cab NPS in this thread.

Buy a used Fuso FE crew with the Aisin 68RC transmission, swap the tail housing using Dodge 4500 parts and bolt on an NV273 transfer case or an Atlas. Fabricate mounts for two solid axles of your choice, just like Rebel did and you have a diesel crew cab four wheel drive Fuso FG clone, that is arguably better than the OEM version.

I would presume that Rebel could easily build this for you, just like they built the one - off NPR in this thread.
What he said, that's my plan for my 07, with F350 axles...
Kevin

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well - If you want a double cab 4wd Fuso in the states you are out of luck - they don't offer it here.

Also - this NPR has a GM V8 in it from Isuzu - although there are diesels also available in the double cab - just depends on what you want. Easier to hop up the V8 and stay CA legal from what I hear.

Best way to get more info if you are serious is to try and reach Rebel themselves for the pricing / availability. Maybe they decided it is to much work to build them?

The LS Chevy V8 in the NPR DoKa; sweeeet.

Rebel was supposed to have NPR 4x4 info emailed out to people on the list a few months ago. Still nothing yet, no return emails from Bond, nada.
Where's the beef Rebel?

javajoe79

Fabricator
I imagine it would be pretty hard to put a price tag on a conversion like that as they've only done the one and maybe didn't keep track of man hours?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I imagine it would be pretty hard to put a price tag on a conversion like that as they've only done the one and maybe didn't keep track of man hours?

When I spoke to Bond(Rebel owner) months ago, he was just finalizing base pricing for both setups (a more extreme setup like you see here, and a less extreme setup).

kerry

Expedition Leader

What about the stepped frame? Wasn't that done to obtain the required clearance between the engine and front axle? Wouldn't it be easier to swap a Fuso crewcab in place of the single cab on an FG? I know that has been suggested before but I'm not aware of anyone who has done it.

DzlToy

Explorer
The stepped frame is so that the engine can be raised to accommodate their ridiculous center chunk solid front axle. This is quite uncommon in the 4x4 world, causes quite a few problems and makes the finished truck look absolutely silly with plastic cladding and huge fender gaps. Look at a Toyota, Jeep or even a 3/4 ton pickup: the front diff is off to one side or the other, there is not a huge step in the frame and most importantly, there is no giant tire to fender gap.

I love the height on the Rebel truck and while I would not run a 40" tire most likely, the fitment is perfect. They know how to set up proper suspension and selected the proper axle for the application. Why Fuso insists on using a center chunk front axle is beyond me.

Additionally, Fuso axles are simply not supported here. You choice of R/P gears, lockers, wheels, upgraded axle parts, etc., is practically non existent. Rebel did the right thing, IMO. There is no way in the world that I swap Fuso FG parts under an FE, Same goes for their engine, slush box and awful AWD transfer case with no low range. All terrible designs IMO...

By choosing the gasoline V8, the NPR can be serviced at a GM or Isuzu dealer. Using 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck parts gives you access to a HUGE aftermarket in several areas, i.e. wheels, tires, lockers, transfer cases, bolt on HP (LS based motor), auto transmission tuning and building, etc., etc. This market simply does not exist for an FG or an FE. If you want a stock FG to drive around on dirt roads with, then obviously none of this applies. If you want a truly capable off road rig that can be modified or tuned to fit your needs or application, the FG leaves much to be desired.

There is a 68RC Fuso conversion in the works, but its is on the back burner for now.

Rebel, when you get some time, how about a run down on some of the questions that have been posted throughout the thread?

Cheers

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Rebelzilla NPR is awesome... and it ends up being a very expensive build... $100-150k for the rebel build out that puts you at $150-200k including the truck itself...and there is still no box, batteries, ac, heat, refrigerator, etc... so add another $150k ???? For the 13' living quarters finished?

Would I like to have a lean mean ($14,000lbs wet?) machine like this, heck yes... am I willing to pay$350k... hmmm... it makes a van a very appealing product....

Just guesses on prices, but they are educated guesses...

If I had that money as chump change, you bet, I'd begin now... I have had expensive off road expedition vehicles... and when I had as much as a home invested, it became an obligation, rather than a camping vehicle...I felt obliged to use it, exclusive to all else...

So it makes it a hard sell, because living in a tiny home, exclusively, for extended periods, gets old at some point...

And I love that vehicle...

Good feedback David.

From my time talking to Bond at Rebel, I'd be quite surprised if we're talking a $100-150k "conversion" here (new trucks can be had for $40k easy. But as you say, add a 6figure cabin and you're getting up there with costs). But of course they were supposed to have been updating people on "the list" over 6months ago, and still no word, so perhaps they shelved the conversions? It'd be great to hear from Rebel as to the latest.

DzlToy

Explorer
A competent DIY'er can build a basic composite panel box 13 feet long by 78" wide (NPR cab width) for well under 5 grand. Pick your favourite appliances, mounting system, batteries, etc., and you have a completed box from 5k (sleeping bag and water bottles) to hundreds of thousands of dollars. I do not believe that it makes fiscal sense to spend six figures on something the size of a child's bedroom, when one can purchase a small house or condo in most North American cities for what many shop built "expo" trucks cost.

If you are paying shop rates for someone to build you custom suspension, spray a show car quality paint job, create custom vinyl wraps or create a Bentley level interior, the cost will simply be exorbitant. Custom work, especially quality custom work, is very very labour intensive and therefore has a high cost associated with it.

Buy a well maintained fleet or company owned used truck for 10K - 15k, invest heavily in any needed service and/or preventative maintenance; now you have a good foundation.

Construct a composite box from Phenolic or XPS foam and alloy sheet or phenolic sheet. Bond the panels and spray the interior and exterior with two part heat cured Polyurea. You can DIY this or pay a shop to do it, depending on your skills and budget. You now have a quite durable, completely sealed interior and exterior.

Add windows of your choice (KCT and Outbound are top of the range, but like most quality products, have a higher upfront investment cost than cheap $hit from eBay or $20 take outs from an RV wrecking yard. You get what you pay for here.

Styrofoam cooler and ice, a trucker fridge from your local gas station or a National Luna - your choice ($ to $$$)

Reclaimed wormwood floors, Quartz counters, Baja Designs LED lights, Dornbracht and Duravit fixtures or bargain hunt and buy from the box stores, again your imagination and budget are the only limiting factours.

Wrecking yard one ton axles, rebuilt on the floor of your garage or ring Torq for a pair of Super 14's and shell out $25k for a pair of custom axles installed. DIY rebuilt junkyard axles should be well under 3k for the pair.

Mix and match leaf springs from various junkyard trucks to get your preferred weight carrying capacity and ride quality or call Deaver, Alcan, Betts, etc and have a set made for about a grand per pair.

Prefer links and coils? Get ready to shell out many thousands of dollars for a fab shop to build a custom link suspension front and rear and order custom coil-overs, bypasses and air bumps from a vendor like King. Dual ORI's are an alternative, but they are about a grand each last time I checked and you need eight of them to carry the weight. Rancho 9000's are $100 each wholesale. What is your budget?

Comfoy junkyard seats with Auto Zone seat covers or perhaps you fancy a pair of budget suspension seats from PRP or Corbeau? Maybe a Recaro Expert M series is more to your liking. They are about 3 grand per pair.

I could go on and on, but you see there are many ways to build a truck. IMO, you could have a very nice truck, built on a budget for something on the order of 30k - 40k if you were able to DIY everything. The more you pay a shop to do or the more expensive your tastes are, the bigger your check book needs to be.

If I had 250K to build a truck, would I buy something like an Earthcruiser, GXV or Earthroamer? Absolutely no way in hell....

YMMV

gait

Explorer
....... So what would you do with your $250k in a truck build?

after we built the truck we went on a 3-year trip halfway round the world. Bit annoyed though, it was cheaper than living at home.

the benefits of however much one spends are mainly intangible. For me it was then a case of what is the minimum spend on vehicle to achieve desired aim.

I don't have unlimited resources, so its always a trade off against other opportunities.

javajoe79

Fabricator
If I had a $250k budget I’d already be done for starters, then I’d use the leftover $200k to buy a cabin somewhere out west as my base camp and I’d travel full time for a while. Hopefully I’d find someone to run my shop while I’m gone and rent my house

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior