Its a dream but a good dream !

Coachgeo

Explorer
Looks like you got makings of a roof rack too. Sweet. Now buy a used Travel Trailer and just transfer all the pieces over from it to the box (after you insulate etc.) IMHO consider commercial Spray on foam Insulation after adding Studs you intend to mount cabinetry and, interior walls to, along with windows and laying in the wiring inside conduit etc. Spray foam on inside walls and cieling followed up with a good interrior wall will potentialy give you a bit of a sandwhiched wall construction which should strengthen the whole thng over all as well as giving you good Rvalue.

B85

Adventurer
Thanks JAVA and Coachgeo.

No, the rack must go. Its,well lets say not up to standards . LOL

All great ideas,but for now I will spend some time learning what I have and start removing the old chassis that is still hanging from the floor.

Have some surprises for you maybe tomorrow ? +- Or maybe for me ? LOL

Need some input. Thinking about building some storage boxes out of 16ga. steel. (its what my bender will work with) What do you think ? They will be in semi-protected area's. And if they get beat-up I will just build more.

Randy

P.S. I asked about other ideas to make sure I didn't miss any thing.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I have to agree with Java! I suggest that you do a CAD layout in the box (Cardboard Aided Design)! With some duct tape, bailing wire, a sharpie, and some cardboard sheets you can do a quick layout to suss out. You may change it a dozen times before you get it right, but it is going to cost you next to nothing.

I have a couple of school bus conversion how to books and they highly recommend you do this and spend a weekend or so in it before you actually build. Lot easier to change card board than glued and screwed 2x4s.

B85

Adventurer
That's the plan.

But first I will remove the old chassis. Will post a cool way to do just that.

Then I will get the boxes and duck tape out.

B85

Adventurer
Today the van box was removed from the trailer and I started cutting off the old chassis. What a pain. Still have some more to remove and then load on another trailer for storage.

Next up will be pulling the flat bed off the LMTV. May do a temp fit of the box on it but I don't know ?

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3989 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3990.jpg

I can feel the box getting lighter.

On a more build note. I will bolt to the frame of the LMTV (their is a angle iron running down the side of the frame) just like the flat bed. But what about bolting the box to the angle iron instead of welding it ?

Randy

B85

Adventurer
Finished removing the chassis from under the box. Hot ,dirty job but its done.

IMG_3999.jpg

Look at all the weight I saved ! Well at least its out of the way. Took about 3 1/2 hours and lots of cuts. Now just some clean up grinding and a test fit.

IMG_4001.jpg

B85

Adventurer
Today I pulled the bed off. The truck with 1/2 tank of fuel is 14,320 Lbs. and the bed is 2379 Lbs. with the two seats I can't install.

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

Will do some cleaning and look at installing the box.

java

Expedition Leader
Thinking a lowered staircase on the interior or a ladder exterior? I saved some pics of slick ladders when I was looking into them, they are on a different computer tho....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

B85

Adventurer
Like you (Bum) I must have every photo on the net.

In this idea, their are 3 steps inside and 3 or 4 steps outside. The lines beside the door is a 5'2" mark. A eye line. (also thinking about windows and looking out.) Top of outside door is 1'2" below eye line.

B85

Adventurer
Thanks, big help. I could not find the photos you posted that I copied and put in my black box from hell. But I will find them.

I have started looking into using the doorway as the shower. Maybe the first step down from the box floor.Then maybe a outside landing with 6 steps down.Could also mount the steps from three sides ?

Also like the idea of using the area below as the gray water tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears