It's Baaack! And Gone Again! Highly-Capable 416-Based Unimog Expedition Motorhome

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Here is an example of re-engineering the manifold, and a good view of a stock 416's tight confines. This was a turbo'd 416 Sold by Ziggy and Lisa, back when they were selling mogs.

328491d1283319569-om-series-turbo-manifolds-416_turbo_refurb_85k.jpg

328492d1283319569-om-series-turbo-manifolds-416_turbo_refurb_84k.jpg

328493d1283319569-om-series-turbo-manifolds-416_turbo_refurb_82k.jpg

You can see this cab was also lifted, note the shifting area, is now recessed lower:

416_turbo_refurb_24k.jpg

Another dead give-away is the PTO hole in the front will be higher than the PTO, and the bumper...well...further away from the grill :)

Lifting the cab has another benifit, it allows more cool air to circulate around the engine, keeping the cab cooler, also quieter. Those alone are worth the lift.

I can't speak for this unit (The Ex-NZ rail mog) but as Mike says, very common procedure on a turbo swap. Some aluminum blocks, re-route the hand throttle or extend the cable, few other minor things, and your off.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
When I look at MHiscox's "Camper Mog Assortment Album" in Picasa (from the link in the first post of this thread), I see the first pic has been viewed 1431 times. It wouldn't surprise me if I were 700 of those views. Golly this is a neat rig.
esmi.jpg

One of 936 Kayak results. Just sayin'. ;)

skinzluch

Adventurer
Very interesting truck. I posted it on the front page of Expo and on West County Explorers Club. Hope it finds a great new home.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike - sent you a message earlier. if this is still available shoot me an email at chris@motofishimages.com. Thanks! Chris
Chris,

I responded this afternoon, our messages just probably crossed. However, thanks for the e-mail as well; I sent a copy there, too.

Be sure to let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with.

Best,

Mike

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Would you still be interested in selling just the box?
I don't think Chris would, but I'll try to get a message to him to find out for sure. A lot of the value of Camper Mog is in that box--steel-framed, aluminum-skinned, good awning windows, cool Dutch door, and now freshly painted--it's about the cheapest way to get a real expedition cabin, regardless of the truck.

I can talk about this because I thought long-and-hard during the period I owned it (between engine failure and selling to Chris) as to whether I should put the cabin onto a modern truck, which would not be difficult. I decided that because it was a one-of-a-kind, semi-historic Mog to leave it whole, but someone with less attachment to it might feel differently. I will say that even if you paid Chris's asking price just to get the box and more or less gave away the engine and the rest of the truck, you'd probably come out ahead over building anything from scratch. Incredibly, Terracross gets about $200,000 for a new cabin of similar size and functionality:

http://www.unicat.net/pdf/TC45f-light-exposee-en.pdf

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Would you still be interested in selling just the box?
I got a quick note from Chris, who shares the sentiment I had when I owned it . . . Camper Mog stays intact until we've got nothing to say about it.

Thanks for asking, though. It was a perfectly reasonable question, given that Camper Mog's cabin is completely turnkey. I suspect that if you started in the morning, you could have the cabin on a new truck by the evening and then leave the next day on your expedition.

And don't think I didn't think of doing that.

2005-FE-Crew with Dutch.jpg
On a Fuso FE crew cab, as just one example.

squeezer

Adventurer
Its gone after being back again...

Well not gone as much as sold... Jumped into the thread to get dimensions for shipping and decided to post that Camper Mog is going to live again. I don't think its my place to share all the details but lovers of Camper Mog and lovers of coffee are going to have a reason to visit Seattle...

Cheers

Chris

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Glad to hear it. Would have loved to be the one to fix it back up but the $4k shipping to go from left coast to right coast was tough.

Well not gone as much as sold... Jumped into the thread to get dimensions for shipping and decided to post that Camper Mog is going to live again. I don't think its my place to share all the details but lovers of Camper Mog and lovers of coffee are going to have a reason to visit Seattle...

Cheers

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78