Iveco 4x4 Daily

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
No Iveco's in the USA - rarely seen brand here at all... I've only seen a few around.

Amesz00

Adventurer
only a 6mm thick frame rail...the U500 is 9mm.

Charlie

Charlie, we had one in our factory (an iveco) for evaluation a little while ago for a couple months, i am 90% sure it is a 8mm chassis. also the specs say hypoid rear axle, but it is most definetly planetary reduction.
interestingly, the hubs on both front + rear axles bolt onto the centre section onto a large flange (ie the axle is made up of three seperate pieces). it appears that the centre section is identical on both axles.
Andrew

I think hypoid refers to the gears in the diff, and planetary refers to gear reduction on the hubs, which allows the center diff to be considerably smaller for more ground clearance.
I got the 6mm figure off the link to the Iveco spec sheet.
Did you see the Michelin SAA (special application authorization) letter I posted re the 2 different versions of the 395/85R20 XZL? I was told by the undersignee of the letter in Paris 2.5 years ago that the only difference in the 2 tires is the writing on the sidewalls.
There is a new version of the XZL called XZL2 which has only 26/32" tread instead of 32.5/32" and is rated at full load (12300 lb, 5600kg) at 70mph (112kph). Probably just due to the thinner tread, maybe a mm or so less rubber in the sidewalls I'd guess.

Charlie

Last edited:

julius0377

Adventurer
Andrew said

...or maybe some Euro Expo member could enlighten us even further.

Saw one of the Daily 4x4 as a camper build just before christmas, looks like a tough build, with great performance for the "van" type of vehicle.

Here are some videos of Daily 4x4's in action:

Here are some links to existing builders of campers based on the Iveco Daily 4x4:
www.bocklet.eu
www.exploryx.de
www.bimobil.de

Some considerations with the Daily 4x4 is that it is built in cooperation with SCAM, and parts are not as easily accesible as for the 2x4 version of the Daily. Also many mechanics are not trained on the 4x4 version. The Daily 2x4 and 4x4 are very different underneath compared to what they look like on the outside.

The Daily 4x4 is ofthen compared to the Bremach here in Europe for camper builds, but IVECO has a larger worldwide network in case of breakdowns. If Europe is the main travel destination one should also consider the Bremach T-Rex for a camper build base. Other opions to the Daily 4x4 are Mercedes Sprinter with Oberaigner or Achleitner 4x4 conversions and difflock as well as lift kits.

Here is a link to the Bremach T-Rex as a camper: T-Rex camper
Here are some Mercedes Sprinters as a camper: Exploryx Impala Bocklet Dakar

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
I think hypoid refers to the gears in the diff, and planetary refers to gear reduction on the hubs, which allows the center diff to be considerably smaller for more ground clearance.
I got the 6mm figure off the link to the Iveco spec sheet.
Did you see the Michelin SAA (special application authorization) letter I posted re the 2 different versions of the 395/85R20 XZL? I was told by the undersignee of the letter in Paris 2.5 years ago that the only difference in the 2 tires is the writing on the sidewalls.
There is a new version of the XZL called XZL2 which has only 26/32" tread instead of 32.5/32" and is rated at full load (12300 lb, 5600kg) at 70mph (112kph). Probably just due to the thinner tread, maybe a mm or so less rubber in the sidewalls I'd guess.

Charlie

yea i thought thats what it might mean too, but by that reckoning MANs have hypoid diffs as well (think i may have pointed out that the iveco has planetary hubs).. and the diff is quite small, certainly no larger than a MANs. clearance on the 395s is 420mm i think.
that letter is very interesting. correct me if im wrong, but it means any 395 XZL can do 70mph with 8.5t or less per axle?
and i did not even know michelin had a new tread design, wonder if it will find its way over here.. most peole here seem hell-bent on 22.5s and road tyres...
Andrew

Yes, the SAA letter means to me that a LR J 395 can do 68-70mph with </= 8.5 metric tons. Like the guy told me in Paris (the undersigned Michelin rep, at Eurosatory 2010), they are identical except for printing on the sidewall. Michelin has quite a few truck tires rated at 2 different load/speed/inflation maxima.
They call it "singular point".

Charlie

Thespoon

Observer
Are there any bloggers using the modern Iveco daily 4x4 as their Overland vehicle

The Iveco Daily 4x4 has only been released on the Australian market about 4 months ago and I haven't even seen one on the road yet. It will be a while until they appear as Overland vehicles but they certainly are a very capable base to build on.
Regards
Adrian

julius0377

Adventurer
Daily 4x4 as overland vehicle

This guy has a Daily 4x4 as an overland vehicle, and has driven through most of Asia, Europe and Iceland. Within some of the threads he describes using the many gears as well as diff locks for offroading, and what he thinks of the vehicle/build. Unfortunately it's not in english, and not a blog, but here are the german forum links:
Build thread: http://www.wohnmobilforum.de/w-t30702.html
Trip to baltic states: http://www.wohnmobilforum.de/w-t43078.html
Large trip to Asia: http://www.wohnmobilforum.de/w-t59692.html

Here are some pictures of a northern africa trip with a Daily 4x4 (again, not a blog.) http://www.exploryx.de/index.php/exploryx-in-aktion/impala-daily-in-marokko/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12