Iveco 4x4 Daily

gait

Explorer
I rationalised that with fixed mounts towards the front the body was subject to the average twist (and roll) of the chassis relative to the road. If fixed mounts at the rear the body was subject to the twist nearer the rear wheels.

Hard to get one's head around, I suspect there's less body movement relative to the road with fixed mounts forward.

Then again, I could be talking hogwash! :)

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
put the fixed mounts at the front of the body
Most people would agree I think, but a lot of people do it the other way around with no obvious bad effects except that it looks like the truck is broken :)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I rationalised that with fixed mounts towards the front the body was subject to the average twist (and roll) of the chassis relative to the road. If fixed mounts at the rear the body was subject to the twist nearer the rear wheels.

Hard to get one's head around, I suspect there's less body movement relative to the road with fixed mounts forward.

Then again, I could be talking hogwash! :)

Hi Julian...how are ya?

My observation with Fusos and Isuzus has been that if a camper box is bolted on the back (a box being very stiff compared to a tray or service body) with all fixed mounts, the main damage is always done at the front.

As for the Iveco chassis....I think there's a lot to learn however the basic offroad body mounting principles should still apply ..........but the European builders have a big head start and would be worth looking at how they do it.

BTW in talking to the tech guys at Iveco here in Australia they all tell me the same thing......the 4x4 Daily chassis should NOT be stretched..... 3400mm WB is the absolute maximum limit. They obviously flex /twist more than we all first thought and an extension would only magnify stresses.

And Julian, you never talk hogwash!!! Haha

Kind regards
John

Last edited:

Goingbush

no idea how the Europeans do it

...anyone ???

I crossed mine up proper today, so much so that the drivers door partially jammed, same as it does when you cross up a Landcruiser.

needed center & rear diff lock engaged to get there, you can see that the chassis flex has caused the rear body & cab to misalign.
still had room to move on the left rear body mount spring. The tight fitting rear body door still opened and closed nicely with no jamming, have to be happy about that. The truck rides so much smoother now with some weight over the back end.

check out the gap between the bottom of the drivers side headlight and the rubber seal on top of bumper bar, when the truck is sitting flat there is no gap at all visible.
The chassis certainly flexes a LOT

truck24.jpg

truck25.jpg

Last edited:

mrFelix

Observer
Good pics gb, and I was under the impression that the Iveco had little flex :Wow1:

I had a look at the Ridgeline setup ( fixed back, springs front) and Kym was of the opinion that this was all that was necessary, can't remember how long the springs were though

Last edited:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I've gone under my parental units Daily (they have a 4x2 single cab-chassis with a big Winnebago brick mounted on the back), the chassis flex doesn't surprise me at all - thin gauge low C channel with some tube cross bracing.
I like the rest of the platform, reasonable power, nice 6-speed manual, well presented cabin with all the features you could want and decent fuel economy (they get 13l/100km with aforementioned massive brick with a cab-over sleeping unit), but the chassis pales in comparison to my F-truck.

mrFelix

Observer
I've gone under my parental units Daily (they have a 4x2 single cab-chassis with a big Winnebago brick mounted on the back), the chassis flex doesn't surprise me at all - thin gauge low C channel with some tube cross bracing.
I like the rest of the platform, reasonable power, nice 6-speed manual, well presented cabin with all the features you could want and decent fuel economy (they get 13l/100km with aforementioned massive brick with a cab-over sleeping unit), but the chassis pales in comparison to my F-truck.

The 4x4 has a completely different chassis to the 4x2, not even made in the same place. Apparently built by this mob http://www.scamtrucks.it/

Goingbush

The 4x4 has a completely different chassis to the 4x2, not even made in the same place. Apparently built by this mob http://www.scamtrucks.it/

Indeed, unlike all earlier model Iveco Daily 4x4's the current generation Iveco Daily 4x4 is actually hand built by SCAM trucks, Only the Cabin is supplied by Iveco , Engine is Fiat / Iveco , Gearbox is ZF , Chassis and Transfer case is SCAM , Diffs are Carraro ( they make Tractors & excavators) Dampers are Gimon (make railway suspension)

After owning more Landrovers and Landcruisers than I can remember as well as an Acco 4x4, I'm absolutely wrapped with the Iveco and I have high hopes for it

Lizzidman

Interesting info GB..
I have a French document that lists the specs for their Iveco Daily 4x4 variants.
Their 35S17w has 2 leaves in the front springs and 3 leaves in the rear, their 55S17w has the same configuration as your Australian truck was delivered with 3 front leaves and 4 rear leaves.
The 35S17w and the 55S17w are the same truck with different springs depending if you require a 3.5 tonne or a 5.5 tonne truck.

If you run your vehicle lightly loaded, then perhaps removing a leaf from both front and rear spring to configure your truck as a 35S17w may soften the suspension a little and reduce the forces that are generating the chassis twisting? Just a thought.

We have a single cab truck being delivered to Brisbane next week to have a camper fitted ..
Dave.

mrFelix

Observer
Interesting info GB..
I have a French document that lists the specs for their Iveco Daily 4x4 variants.
Their 35S17w has 2 leaves in the front springs and 3 leaves in the rear, their 55S17w has the same configuration as your Australian truck was delivered with 3 front leaves and 4 rear leaves.
The 35S17w and the 55S17w are the same truck with different springs depending if you require a 3.5 tonne or a 5.5 tonne truck.

If you run your vehicle lightly loaded, then perhaps removing a leaf from both front and rear spring to configure your truck as a 35S17w may soften the suspension a little and reduce the forces that are generating the chassis twisting? Just a thought.

We have a single cab truck being delivered to Brisbane next week to have a camper fitted ..
Dave.

So who is fitting your camper, and why did you decide on them ?

Lizzidman

Years ago I had plans to buy a Landcruiser 79 series and make an alloy poptop/gullwing supercamper, but the lack of room to fit a toilet/shower was always nagging away. Then 18 months ago I heard of the Iveco Daily 4x4 while looking at caravans and campers, and Internet searches took me to TravelTrucks.
I emailed Kym and it slowly progressed from there. We had a brief test drive of a one of a few demo trucks in Australia at Highway One, saw the TravelTrucks prototype and I was impressed that it was actually very similar to what I had in mind years ago for a Landcruiser. So as time is important as you get older, we decided to take the trip with TravelTrucks, .. Now called RidgeLine.... Our requirement for a toilet/shower has meant thet we just had to wait for the components to be tooled up for production. I am told that their promo truck is being fitted out now, and that ours will be in the next production run. Dave from Sunshine Coast.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
They do look nice, I love the fact that the entire side opens up.

No prices but I just know they are well out of my range :(

EDIT: Ooo they are in Brendale, I could drop in and have a look.

mrFelix

Observer
Don't forget to post some photos when it's done (or even during the build).:)

Funny about those gull wing doors, that's one of the reasons we didn't go with this one, wife not a fan, horses for courses as they say.

Forgot to ask, do you know what the total weight will be?

Lizzidman, did you have a go at lifting the poptop? I hope Kym has revised his design since I was there earlier this year. I was having a look at what I think was his first build and I asked him to show me how the poptop went up, he climbed in and proceeded to push it up with his head. I asked if I could have a go and due to a slight bit of arthritis in my neck I found it impossible to raise.:Wow1:

Last edited:

Goingbush

It has probably been mentioned before but the Biggest dissapointment with the Iveco Daily 4x4 is the measly 90L fuel tank, with the platforms intended purpose roles ( Multi - Role is part of its official designation) .
(It must be a European thing because the Landrover Defender 110 is only 75L )

there are off the shelf universal tanks avaliable for the Single Cab but the Dual Cab is a bit more difficult.

Here is the 110L tank I made for mine, could have squeezed another 20 or so but not bad for a first try
tank5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger