J8 Expedition Project:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
They should have these down at the dealer right now.

Yeah, I don't get it. Throw a couple hundred gas powered ones in a few dozen dealerships and see if all these Jeepers will put their money where there mouth is.

Sergio, call me. :)

alosix

Expedition Leader
I really like the direction this is heading..

Giving me a bit of renewed hope for actually owning one of these things..

Jason.

AFSOC

Explorer
At $50-60K a pop how many will step up and buy one?

Sadly, that's the economic reality of trying to field the J8 even on a limited basis. They would not be posh enough to be accepted by spouses in households with enough disposable income so they would not crossover into the luxury car, status symbol arena like an H2 or G-classe. Without the bucks up soccer mom/country club market it leaves true enthusiasts who often are not affluent enough to plunk $50 or $60 to get in the door. After initial purchase there is the inevitable follow on purchases of accessories, equipment and mods to customize or tailor the rig. This same group of enthusiasts will contrast a J8 purchase against a JK with a butt load of aftermarket mods for a bottom line decision.

`

x32792

Adventurer
Sadly, that's the economic reality of trying to field the J8 even on a limited basis. They would not be posh enough to be accepted by spouses in households with enough disposable income so they would not crossover into the luxury car, status symbol arena like an H2 or G-classe. Without the bucks up soccer mom/country club market it leaves true enthusiasts who often are not affluent enough to plunk $50 or $60 to get in the door. After initial purchase there is the inevitable follow on purchases of accessories, equipment and mods to customize or tailor the rig. This same group of enthusiasts will contrast a J8 purchase against a JK with a butt load of aftermarket mods for a bottom line decision.

`

My old TJ is no H2 or G Wagon, but it's paid for and it does haul my old ashes around pretty good. Sure, I'd like to have a CRD, better milage, more torque, bigger tires and $20K in bolt-ons, but I'm not ready to sell my house and a kidney to make it happen ;)

alosix

Expedition Leader
My old TJ is no H2 or G Wagon, but it's paid for and it does haul my old ashes around pretty good. Sure, I'd like to have a CRD, better milage, more torque, bigger tires and $20K in bolt-ons, but I'm not ready to sell my house and a kidney to make it happen ;)

The price is a little rough, but after running the numbers to get my TJ to that state, or a JK for that matter, its about the same $$.

They would probably be a heck of a lot cheaper if Jeep would just do a short production run of the rollers @ on one of the JK assembly lines.

Bhos

Adventurer
Just wondering, how do the G-wagens and J8 compare as far as body, frame, powertrain life cycle durability?

Jblankster

first post here, Ive been following the J8's for a long, long, long while. sadly its way out of my price range and have been wanting a JK truck for a while. i have a 04 wrangler tj and I'm not any time soon going to sell it until they make a 2 door diesel jk truck (j8 or similar) in the US and sell it in the us/Canada/Mexico.

if I'm correct the trucks are actually made here and shipped to Egypt to be assembled? or the other way around? i heard something about a US plant making these. I'm prolly wrong though. is it really that hard to sell some in the US? i mean hell they had that RHD mail truck for a limited run. why cant they do the trucks for a bit?

i was thinking about it a bit and to get a JK to at least Appear like a J8 truck it would take (i think):

JK unlimited with at least rear half doors (you'll see why in a bit)
mil spec looking front+rear bumpers (semi simple)
mil spec looking paint (simple)
fab up a air intake like that on the hood (simple)
strip carpet/sound deadening (semi simple, but can be a pain)
wheels (simple)

now for the hard part.
i said a unlimited for a reason, that being the truck and the unlimited i believe are the same length. so you could take the rear half door skins and use that to mold into the side of the body, making the truck bed part of the jeep. the only issue then would be the floor not being level, which again you can fab something up with doors for in floor storage or something. then you need to deal with the cage somehow and make it more like the truck version.

it still wouldn't be the same, id rather buy a J8 honestly. you get that real "mil spec" quality, the diesel, and all the other good bits with the j8 instead of a hack job look alike. and might end up spending just as much when your done.

anyway looking forward to the progress of this build. i cant wait to see the review/modifications of this thing from a builder to see how well it does!

gabepari

Explorer
Coming from someone who has driven this rig daily for the last 2 weeks, I can honestly say that if I had the coin I would buy one in an instant. The diesel truly is "magical". The leafs and d60 add an amazing amount of stability to the rear end. Ditch the soft-top in favor of a hardtop (or one of them fancy AT Jeep tent thing-a-ma-bobs :elkgrin:) and it would be a dream on the highway (little noisy with the soft-top).

Plus, it's amazing how much room there is in this thing, probably more than my 80.

The only bad thing is that I'm done working on it and the Jeep Fairy is taking it away from me tomorrow :(

Gabe

brushogger

Explorer
Coming from someone who has driven this rig daily for the last 2 weeks, I can honestly say that if I had the coin I would buy one in an instant. The diesel truly is "magical". The leafs and d60 add an amazing amount of stability to the rear end. Ditch the soft-top in favor of a hardtop (or one of them fancy AT Jeep tent thing-a-ma-bobs :elkgrin:) and it would be a dream on the highway (little noisy with the soft-top).

Plus, it's amazing how much room there is in this thing, probably more than my 80.

The only bad thing is that I'm done working on it and the Jeep Fairy is taking it away from me tomorrow :(

Gabe

Would the Jeep Fairy's initials be S B ?:ylsmoke:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Looking killer you guys. I'd love to have a j8. I want to hear what you guys have to say once you get it all loaded up. They're not the quickest diesel around and the j8 frame has been beefed up adding more weight. I'd love to have one with the 3.0 WK Diesel motor instead.

And for added storage, toss a Trasharoo on the back.. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12