Jack's 2002 Nissan Xterra Build & Adventure Thread

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Looking great amigo

Thanks Dave!

Swapped in another new alternator this week, and she'll be ready to go for winter. Armored baby transport ;)

And I've had a few trips to the upper peninsula over the last month, and each time gets harder to leave...

IMG_20150919_172146_hdr_zpssisqqfpq.jpg

Other than that, the wife and I are heading to PA / NY for a nice little cabin getaway. And in very unexciting fashion, we are taking a hybrid and won't leave the pavement at all. FUN! Really though, 41+ MPG and heated seats is going to be much better than 15MPG and a rough ride. We'll save that for next year ;)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
You'll be the coolest dad at daycare with that rig! So much awesome in one place.

I've never been there (yet), but the UP reminds me of the MN north shore a little bit. Not quite as rocky, but similar. The Great Lakes have so many awesome places to explore.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
You'll be the coolest dad at daycare with that rig! So much awesome in one place.

I've never been there (yet), but the UP reminds me of the MN north shore a little bit. Not quite as rocky, but similar. The Great Lakes have so many awesome places to explore.

Thank you sir! The Great Lakes are indeed great. Stay away from Erie, though. It's the smelly, less-than-great, red-headed stepchild of the lakes.

Anyway, the wife and I got back from our weekend getaway. Little Amish town in western New York had some awesome cabins available, and then we hit Niagara falls for the first time and played board games by the fire for the rest of the night. It was perfect.

And my highest fuel economy was 53MPG (hybrid), with heated massage seats and satellite radio. Talk about creature comforts...man oh man. Couldn't dream of getting that in the Xterra!

IMG_20151024_095635_hdr_zpsntjcos2j.jpg

IMG_5355_zpsx4cjuhf0.jpg

Last edited:

jhberria

Adventurer
Looks like a blast, man. Some of the most memorable times I've had with my wife over the years have come from weekends spent at remote cabins in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Something about the lack of external stimuli, other than the natural happenings of the mountains, makes the experience special.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Looks like a blast, man. Some of the most memorable times I've had with my wife over the years have come from weekends spent at remote cabins in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Something about the lack of external stimuli, other than the natural happenings of the mountains, makes the experience special.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks Josh. And you're right - the isolation was overdue. One night we stood outside before building a fire, and it was silent. No wind, no traffic, nothing. Other than the occasional cow mooing in the distance, which was hilarious, it was incredibly peaceful.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
It's been an interesting month trying to diagnose and chase down this ghost issue between my alternator and battery. Brand new alternator and battery installed, but the new battery wouldn't keep a charge. Brought both back and replaced with a second replacement of each. Finally caved and took it in to the shop - it was an internally damaged alternator harness. Replaced that and she's good as new (well, save for the squeaks and rattles). Starting to get pretty spoiled and a little too comfortable in our company cars, so it was good to come back to reality. I miss the old bucket of bolts.

In other news, Jack Stilts Jr. is here and we were ecstatic to finally meet the little moose. Looking forward to this expedition!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Thanks guys! It's been amazing.

Getting things sorted out for the Xterra to make it ready for 2016. Making things a bit more simple, focusing on creature comforts, and just getting out on the road as much as possible. Being garaged almost the entirety of this year makes me want to really stretch her legs out next year. I've been focusing heavily on exploring Canada since I've seen most of the States. I've got half the Canadian provinces down; time to start planning the other half!

After next year, well...there is an R51 build in my future :)

I didn't realize it, but I forgot how far it's come since it was purchased.

DSCN6375_zps1a10c3a7.jpg

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I finally took the time to sit down and read through you thread man. The Xterra has been a lot of places and been through a lot of change. It looks good and stout.

2 Things, I'd love to go to the Northwest Territories, man that seems unimaginably far away. I miss the UP so much I could almost cry about it. I need to live closer than Northern Ohio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater