Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack

One of the things I don't remember you addressing is skid plates. What, if any, is your plan? I've done internet searches and basically have come up with few options for these Chevys.

Tom

I agree, my research has yielded pretty much the same results...nada.

I have beat the stock aluminum diff skid pretty bad already(and straightened it a time or two). I am thinking of using it as a pattern for something made of steel. I want to redo the tranny/t-case crossmember into a support/integrated skid plate as well. That should help gain some ground clearance as well. Just by rough measurements, should be between 1.5-2" of improvement.

Jack

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
I'm in the same boat Jack.....I never understood why GM built a crossmember that sticks below the frame so drastically.....(obviously for $$$ savings) With this last storm I lost power to my shop, so my projects are on stand still, but I will be fabbing up some stainless skids once I get it going again. If I get to it before you do, I'll send you the .dxf files for laser, so you can have a starting point. I'm on the fence right now between 3/16 or 1/4 plate. 1/4 is a significant increase weight wise, but also will be strong enough that I do not need to add to many strength bends........and here my wheels go again first thing in the morning......
-Will

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I appreciate the offer, you will probably get it done before me. I would like it in 3/16 just for the weight savings. I think it would be a good comprimise between strength/protection/weight. 1/4" would be great from a strength standpoint, but not sure if it would be totally neccessary for the occasional hit. If it was a rockcrawler, I would say 1/4" all the way.

I was thinking about running the rear of the belly plate back to the torsion bar support/mount. Of course it needs to go forward enough to cover the allison transmission pan.

Just as a quick update, I drove the truck to L.A. and back (over 1100 miles) and I had no belt issues.

Jack

bman602

Great thread. We have had our 2500 gas for over a year now and have no complaints at all. We use ours to haul our dirt bikes, boat, and camping gear all over bc and alberta and it is something else. Although not perfect, I have a lot of faith in this truck to get us back home from the middle of anywhere. Very inspiring.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like your fabrication skills are good Locrwln.:Wow1:Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming...We love pics!:)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great thread. We have had our 2500 gas for over a year now and have no complaints at all. We use ours to haul our dirt bikes, boat, and camping gear all over bc and alberta and it is something else. Although not perfect, I have a lot of faith in this truck to get us back home from the middle of anywhere. Very inspiring.

They are great trucks and we really like ours.

Looks like your fabrication skills are good Locrwln.:Wow1:Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming...We love pics!:)

Thanks. Don't worry, as soon as I add/do something picture worthy, I will post. The next big thing is swapping out my cloth seats for heated/leather. That is planned for this weekend.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I got everything switched from cloth to leather last weekend. Major comfort improvement. The stock seats had 4-way adjustable driver's seat and fully manual seat on the passenger side. The biggest failing on the driver's side was the lack of lumbar support, much less adjustable lumbar. The new seats are 12 way adjustable on both driver and passenger side. My wife and I had to merge the two wiring harnesses to make everything work. The donor was a crew cab 1/2t and mine is an ex-cab 3/4t. There was quite a bit of difference between the two and that took some doing to hybridize both harnesses into one. I will get some pics later, we didn't take any during the process, we were too busy on the install.

The second item was the front bumper. I called Buckstop bumpers this morning planning on ordering my "classic" bumper for my truck in aluminum. The aluminum saves approximately 100lbs over the steel version. I really didn't want to add any more dead weight to the front than I had to. I called and apparently they are in the middle of a redesign in the winch mounting areas. They had a failure on a Dodge which almost pulled the bumper off of the truck, so no front bumper for me right now. I'm dying to get my winch mounted, but I am not having much luck.

I have looked at Aluminess and I really don't like their design, it's too "underbite" looking. Buckstop's is the most svelte of any of the designs I have found and I really like how close to the grill they keep everything. Those are the only two aluminum winch bumpers I have found for a chevy.

Buckstop said they won't be taking any orders until maybe June, they are extremely backed up right now, so everything else is on the back burner. I guess the bumper will have to wait, bummer.

Jack

emillika

Observer
IF you do decide to go with a steel bumper you could check with Brian at bearclawbumpers.com . I love mine but it is beefy!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
IF you do decide to go with a steel bumper you could check with Brian at bearclawbumpers.com . I love mine but it is beefy!

Looks like some great bumpers and he definitely offers some cool features/options, but the one big problem I see or don't see specifically is a winch mount option. So no go for that one. Thanks for heads up though, I do like the engineering that he puts into his designs.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Have you looked at Fusion bumpers? I like those.

Tom

I have. They don't show a winch mount as standard or option on the '03-'07 front bumpers and only show a "receiver" mount on the '08 and newer style. No way I am going to lug a 12k Warn around on a multi mount, it weighs way too much for my light weight.

I actually had a picture of the one truck with Nevada plates on it, the truck is local. I like the look of the '08 and newer style bumper over the classic body style. Again their classic style bumper has too much of an under bite to the look, especially without a winch mount.

No worries, as a consolation prize, I ordered my tires. I was waiting on the bumper, because I didn't want to cut my stock bumper and then replace it, but since I have time, I figured why not. Because of the recent snow storms we had, apparently the tires won't be here until Monday. I will get pictures then.

Jack

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
They don't have anything for Dodges yet, so I'll just have to see how Jacks bumper comes out when he can get it ordered.
It will be really cool to see the new bumper.... Keep those pics coming! Also thats a cool name you found for yourself Wild!:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger