James Baroud Horizon Vision Roof Top Tent

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
If the support legs truly was a deal breaker, do you think a user could purchase a tent support ladder and attachment from one of the other manufacturers and mount it up.

What it comes down to is one question. Do you feel the hinges will support the extra flex that could occur with weight in the outside unsupported corners. Now I don't think it will be a big deal as most people will climb in straight up the middle and then lay down. At that point they are basically in the middle of the tent over the center pivot anyways.

This is just a hypothetical and not meant as an insult to the current design. Just wondering about possible modifications and customization.

Also, something I'd love to see is integrated led lights. Since the hard side units have them, I'd like to see something where the wiring is hidden in the poles and then run to LEDs strips. Even, built in 12v outlets as I'm sure most people would like to charge their gadgets while sleeping or when doing late night research in the tent.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If the support legs truly was a deal breaker, do you think a user could purchase a tent support ladder and attachment from one of the other manufacturers and mount it up.
I was initially skeptical of the support legs, and even during the first few uses, still wondered if they were an oversight, a misstep. Then I went back to using a couple other tents without those supports and the absence of the support legs...annoyed the hell out of me. Going back to the Horizon Vision, I instantly appreciated how ROCK SOLID the outer edge of the supported tent. It actually moves less than the vehicle supported side of the tent.

The support legs also permit the ladder to be easily positioned at any preferred angle and can be popped in place in about 30 seconds. And no, being a light and compact tent, the outer edge cannot support itself, but again, the support legs work perfectly.

Integrated lights? Meh. I wouldn't need the additional complexity. With portable LED lights as cheap and bright as they are, one $30 Black Diamond Orbit illuminates the entire tent and can be used outside the tent for added convenience.

Beowulf,
I have been in the tent numerous time and i have never noticed any flex. The legs support the corners and they are sturdy. I weight in at around 200lbs and everything was fine.

For the lighting that is something that i have discussed with the manufacturer. James Baroud is always open to suggestions and they always have looked into the suggestions to improve there product.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Worth mentioning in regards to the light it's not actually an integrated light in the hardshell tent it's just an LED flashlight mounted in a detachable velcrow mount. I mean really the term flashlight is not quite giving at the justice it deserves but it's just a handheld LED light

osidepunker

Adventurer
I just pulled the trigger on a JB Horizon Vision from Tom at Adventure Ready. I currently have a Tepui Ruggedized XL. I added a 1" memory foam pad and I bet the sucker weighs in over 200 lbs. I'm looking to drop some weight by upgrading to the JB tent so we'll see how it goes. Anybody know how much the Isothermic Barrier Kit might weigh? Does it really keep the tent warmer? Does anybody think it will increase condensation? For that matter, I see none of the JB tents offer a condensation mat. Is condensation not an issue with these tents?

RBA

Adventurer
I really like the design behind the opening and closing. My initial concern is the door design. When opening that door during showers, the interior is going to get soaked.

towee

Oside had mine for 6 months lots of nights logged so far condensation has been a complete non issue you are going to love the tent I have a few minor complaints but really overall think it's incredible I haven't considered theisothermic kit can't help you there

towee

I really like the design behind the opening and closing. My initial concern is the door design. When opening that door during showers, the interior is going to get soaked.

For sure rba you learn to be quick it's a minor issue it also sucks to get out of a wet tent in the morning

osidepunker

Adventurer

For sure rba you learn to be quick it's a minor issue it also sucks to get out of a wet tent in the morning

Yeah I figured the door design was going to suck in wet weather. But I live in SoCal and after 3 years of camping once a month on average, I have been rained on exactly twice lol

Oside had mine for 6 months lots of nights logged so far condensation has been a complete non issue you are going to love the tent I have a few minor complaints but really overall think it's incredible I haven't considered theisothermic kit can't help you there

Have you camped in cold weather? Usually my tepui has condensation when the temps are freezing or below. Also, I usually sleep by myself; some of my friends with kids/wife get a lot of condensation. Not sure I will pay for the isothermic kit, my sleeping bags keep me warm down to the teens. I havent camped colder than about 15F, but I've been comfortable using two bags. It was just something I was thinking about

Yeah I figured the door design was going to suck in wet weather. But I live in SoCal and after 3 years of camping once a month on average, I have been rained on exactly twice lol

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you keep the doors closed, the interior won't get wet... and when you get out of the tent its only a matter of seconds that it is open.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have used the thermal liner several times. I actually love using it. It not only deadens outside noises, it cuts out more light and if I don't set an alarm, I'll sleep straight through the next day. :) I've used it in temps into the upper 20s and can vouch for the effectiveness of the thermal value. It certainly decreases the inside volume, but not by so much it's a drag. It also makes closing the tent a tiny bit more of a struggle.

The first time I used it was at a 24 hour mountain bike race in a camp with 5,000 people in the desert. Normally it's super noisy with generators running, people talking, yada, yada. I slept like a baby in the Horizon with the liner.

Lucky j

Explorer
I know from the first post date that this tent as been out for a while, and it look nice. Bas on my 4-5 year experience with a rtt, I would not go with a tent that does not have the possibility to open the window when it is raining. Unless i would travel in a dry contry.

I would also not call "...Vision..." Anything that need the windows to be close in the rain. I like the traditional type of rtt because of the all around type or awning so I can keep the windows open even in heavy rain. I even just modified my rain fly so it would be a little longer so water would not drip in my back when going up and down the later, and even putting my shoes at the base of the later. And do get me wrong, this is also the main reason I do not like the hard shell type.

So the perfect tent is still not out there. But unless it get a large rain fly, it is not for me, no mater the quality of the component.

Hopefully, such a product will become available in the futur.

towee

Punker I haven't had the tent out in cold weather yet this will be my first winter with it. I haven't considered the isothermic kit but the first time I freeze my junk off this winter I could change my mind quickly. The simplicity of this tent appeals to me hoping I don't need it.

Lucky j all valid points it's certainly one of the tents main shortcomings. I keep an 18vt fan in the tent moves plenty of air when zipped up in warm weather.

Lucky j

Explorer
I know, and I would love to participate in the disign of such a product.

So until then, I will stick with my ARB pilbara and fix/improve what needs too. ;). Will try to find a way to add awning tarp style to my girls friend autohome as well. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears