Jeep Cherokee Widetrack Revival - with questions for the experts - Stoffregen Motorsports

It's been a busy winter here in the Gold Country. Our winter storms brought so much rain and wind that I have been chasing my tail trying to play catch up. We actually had a tree fall on or house on New Year's Eve, which partially tore the chimney off the roof. Big oak, almost 3 feet in diameter, but even with all that weather and paying work besides, I snuck in some personal time for the Cherokee.

One of my pet peeves is body rot. Luckily for me, the Cherokee had rot only in sections of the body that would not require disturbing any of the original orange paint. Well, mostly. The majority of the rot was in the lower rear fender flares, with a couple spots of rust in the passenger floor sections near the rear fender wells. Nobody sells replacement steel fender flares for the full size Cherokees, and if the wrecking yard had them, which they did not, they would have charged $500 per flare. I can make them for the price of steel, plus a ton of hours. I did buy some lower rear quarter repair panels for a Wagoneer, from BJs Off Road, and they needed to be modified to fit. That was easy enough. In all, I cut out and replaced 17 different sections of body, and it took nearly three weeks to do.

Here is the front section of the left rear fender/rear floor patch.

And then on to more complex shapes, the rear lower section of the flare. It has an inner and outer piece.

Before the quarer patch was welded in place, I welded on the flare section. This was done to make sure I could dress both sides of the weld on the flare, which would have been impossible with the quarter section in place.

Unfortunately, I failed to snap pics of the inner flare section during the process...

Here's a passenger side floor patch. Three pieces in all, but only one piece is pitured. And a bear to get to with the body still on the frame...

While I was in there, I stripped, primed and sprayed some undercaoting on the inner fender wells, and taped off and painted both rear flares.

SkiWill

I do appreciate that, but is a trained monkey talented?

Really all you need to do is think. A lot of thinking goes into figuring out the process. Where and how to bend, and in what sequence. Same goes for assembly and welding. How, where and how much. That's all. I'm just a big trained monkey.

And a patient one at that. Looks fantastic. Most people are in a rush and quality suffers. Patience is a virtue. The finished product looks fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan