Jeep J8 vs Defender 110 vs Mercedes G-Wagen vs Nissan Patrol Y61 vs Land Cruiser 76

Ultimate Overlander?

• Jeep J8

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Defender 110

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • G-Wagen

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Nissan Patrol

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • Land Cruiser 76

Votes: 45 41.3%

• Total voters

silvElise

Adventurer
Having played with many of these extensively I ultimately ended up with a G463 specifically the 2005 model as it had many of the earlier kinks worked out and still remained with the rock solid 5 speed transmission.

To me it is the perfect combo of creature comforts, ability, and uniquess. I bought mine when I was forced to sell many of my auto toys to condense to one (limited city parking). I have never looked back or regretted the decision.

I have a 1995 461 G, so I do consider that a great vehicle.
However any damn thing that will take you to adventure and back is a worthy vehicle in my book. Forget about 35+ inch tires, huge bullbars and more light than the average sports stadium. There will always be a limit to what you can do with your vehicle.
If you spend too much money on "stuff" then how much is left to keep the vehicle in good working order? And how much time can you afford to go overlanding instead of working to pay for that same "stuff"?

If you plan to be on the road for a very long time, with a unknown quality vehicle, then Toyota is the king - you can always get spares and there will always be some mechanic who can get you going again.

Last edited:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Far and away the Nissan Patrol, simply for the robustness of the whole drivetrain and engine if its a TD42 - and it is probably the most comfortable vehicle listed there in an overland situation too. They are all capable off-roaders, but any tour operator or exploration company I know of that spends large amounts of time in exceptionally rough country has a preference for them over any of the other vehicles listed (except the J8 which isn't available here)

ljense8

Adventurer
I have a 1995 461 G, so I do consider that a great vehicle.
However any damn thing that will take you to adventure and back is a worthy vehicle in my book. Forget about 35+ inch tires, huge bullbars and more light than the average sports stadium. There will always be a limit to what you can do with your vehicle.
If you spend too much money on "stuff" then how much is left to keep the vehicle in good working order? And how much time can you afford to go overlanding instead of working to pay for that same "stuff"?

If you plan to be on the road for a very long time, with a unknown quality vehicle, then Toyota is the king - you can always get spares and there will always be some mechanic who can get you going again.
I agree about the spending on excessive lights and such. My Montero is basically stock, other than 31" tires and removal of the rear sway bar. It has gotten my family and I (including gear) everywhere I wanted it to go with no complaints. All told, I have far less money into it than my wife's grocery getter, and it has given us plenty of enjoyment. With a little more thorough maintenance, I would have no qualms taking it on a longer expedition type trip.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I would take the Land Cruiser because I've had a crush on them for 10 years.

BTW - Is there a resource that would describe the process of importing and/or buying from an importer any of these that are 25+ years old?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
I'm biased due to past ownership and lack of direct "behind the wheel time" with the other models so that makes my vote biased, but I can live with that.

If I'd be travelling to all continents, I'd have to say a HZJ76 due to good mix of capability, capacity, durability and reliability. Add in that the 1HZ is a very simple engine and has been in production and/or available nearly all over the world and supported by Toyota's extensive parts availability network and it would be hard to pass up. Finally, I'm familiar with it's mechanicals so that's an added bonus for field repairs. As I said Im biased but would love to have the opportunity to evaluate the other offerings appropriately to make a fully informed decision. For now, the Toyota HZJ76 gets my vote. I'd have not issues recommending it to my sister if she was buying it and planning to travel the world with it either. :sombrero:

For some fun travelling, I'd like the VDJ76 variant. The new Toyota V8 diesel is just a very nice engine.

tacr2man

Adventurer
When you look at what gets used on overland travel , eg Africa, to and from Australia etc its down to majority Land crusr, land rover, unimog after that gap to Nissan patrol , then the odd G wagon after that odd jeep , Iveco etc . The North American area is almost a separate set of requirements , from the point of view of participants . JMHO

GMR86

My uneducated 2 cents. I have little experience with most of these vehicles other than reading online, but a lack of education has never stopped me from shooting my mouth off in the past. So. . .

I'd send my sister or wife out in a LC76 but I'd want to be driving a G-Wagen or a D110. I wouldn't have chosen the patrol or J8 just because I've just never really been drawn to jeeps or nissans like I have to Cruisers, g-wagens, or Rovers. One of them may be the best option, but they just don't excite me like the other vehicles. I've always dreamed of driving a D110 across continents so that's probably what I'd choose, but 2 days into the trip I'd probably be trying to find a way to swap it for a more comfortable truck. The driver position just isnt very comfortable for me for weeks of long days behind the wheel. LC is more comfortable (sat in, never driven). Never been in a g-wagen but the thought of it seems pretty comfortable. Done some looking online and the 461 professional doesn't look all that comfortable either.
m.
I'd say they're all pretty similar when it comes to offroad capability with the D110 gaining some advantage with better wheel articulation and traction control (better turning radius compared to locked vehicles) but the LC76 and G461 gaining the advantage on steep climbs being fully locked (I'd guess the g461 is the overall fave here). I'd prefer coil over suspension on the rear axle in the defender compared to leaf springs on the LC76 for overall clearance reasons. Offroad I don't think there's enough difference to sway me one way or the other.
If I'm taking family with me I think it would be more comfortable in the LC76. 2nd row bench seems like a nice place to be. d110 isn't too bad either. G461 looks less ideal, especially for kids.

Hmm, this is a tough one. Is that the AEV J8 in the test or one from overseas? Because if it's the AEV, that may just be the most comfortable rig of them all, and capable, and good payload. Looks to be an awfully good option.

With all that said, I still think I'd choose the D110 or G461. Though I may be less comfortable overall and my stuff may get a little dustier(I've heard that's an issue with the defender), I ultimately think I'd smile more in one of these two rigs. I'd still choose to send my wife or sister in the LC76, or maybe the AEV J8.

Applejack

Explorer
I have zero experience with any of those vehicles in particular, but I have many years of experience with Jeep and Toyota, various models. 1 year with an LR3 and I have a friend with a G63 AMG. That's all I have to draw from, but from that I'm sticking with Toyota. I can't say that I have had no problems with them but as far as miles logged vs mechanical failures, Toyota has been the best by a huge margin. I had many more issues with the Jeeps we've owned, from grenading diffs to breaking motor mounts and suspension parts. I so wanted to love the LR but we had so many issues in the one year of ownership, it was always getting worked on. It just left bad impression on me. As for the G... I have had only pavements blasts in my friends AMG and while different than the model in this survey my friend says he has had over 70k trouble free miles, so it seems pretty reliable, my only issue is a concern of parts availability from country to country. In Europe it's probably not too difficult but what about South America? I dig Patrols too but I have no Nissan experience to draw from so I'm sticking with what I know.

I'm suprised that there is so little love for Land Rovers here. As thru the history of overlanding, there has been a lot of truly great adventures in these vehicles. Yes they may break down, but guess what. So does a G (I have one) and so does a Toyota (Best worn-out junk vehicle I ever had for 125.000km).
Is the vehicle capable of dealing with the intended load and roughness of the roads and tracks? Can you live in relative comfort with this vehicle for longer periods of the time? That would be the primary questions I would ask myself.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I'm suprised that there is so little love for Land Rovers here. As thru the history of overlanding, there has been a lot of truly great adventures in these vehicles. Yes they may break down, but guess what. So does a G (I have one) and so does a Toyota (Best worn-out junk vehicle I ever had for 125.000km).
Is the vehicle capable of dealing with the intended load and roughness of the roads and tracks? Can you live in relative comfort with this vehicle for longer periods of the time? That would be the primary questions I would ask myself.

You know, I love Defenders....they are many things, but comfortable is not one of them. For beating around and short road days I really enjoy driving them. But when you need to go long distances, it feels a bit like driving around in a tin lunchbox.
G is the best all round out of the box....provided it's a 461 and not a BLIN-G

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justcuz

Explorer
The summer issue is probably printed and the decision has probably been made.
Having no experience with any of the vehicles mentioned, but being totally objective, I'd pick the Nissan Patrol. Here's why.
The Nissan has equal or better cargo space than the other vehicles.
It has coil spring suspension for a smooth ride and great articulation.
It has nice interior appointments.
It still is basic, simple and easily worked on.
It does not carry any airs of exclusivity or cost based on its manufacturer.
All of these vehicles would be wasted on my sisters, however if my daughter had a chance to replace her Tahoe with any of these vehicles, I would recommend the Patrol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998