Jeep JK - New battery/batteries - need advise?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Well my Yellow Top Optima left me stranded in Idlywild State Camp Ground with the family two days ago. I pulled in turned the Jeep off. Took a quick look at the site and decided to move the trailer a little. Got in and no power. The Optima was close to 2 years old. I ended up putting an Interstate battery in to get me home. I think I will put the Interstate battery in my wifes 4runner. This means I am shopping for some sort of replacement.

Now to the questions. What should I replace it with. My JK has a Warn 9.5ti winch, Baja Design HID Aux lights, back up lights, rock lights, 12 volt Streamlight flashlight, Total Vision Camera system, Ipod, and I would like to get my Engel Fridge back there some day. My point is I need an above average battery or possible two. Benchmark-designs has a new dual battery tray. http://www.benchmark-designs.com/products_dual_battery_system.php
This is a possibility. I have also heard that some have put larger group 31 batteries under the hood. Does anyone have anymore insight into this. Also from reading the threads hear it looks like Odyssey is possible a new top dog. All thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Odyssey is currently getting great reviews. The Sears Platinum batteries are relabeled Odysseys supposedly. There are a number of discussions about them here on this site (in a different forum IIRC).

I'll be going that route when the time comes.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Even though I work for the company that owns/makes Optima (but not in the battery division), I have Sears Platinum in my trailer and will be installing one in my Jeep.
According to local retailers, Optima ain't what it used to be.

EDIT: I contacted the Optima division and, after consulting with them a while, decided to try a RedTop in the Jeep. As of 4/27/10 it's been in there over 11,000 miles and is doing fine.

Last edited:

F5driver

Adventurer
My stock battery died too. I just called Sears to price a Sears Platinum. They said they don't make on to fit the JK. Any ideas?

1leg

Explorer
I would go with 2 sears Platinum "Die hard" Let me know if you need help with the install. I like there Evap skid-plate too.

kb7our

Explorer
Root Moose wrote
Thanks for the heads up.

Continuing on my search for a solution. Here is a link to two Odyssey PC1500 batteries being installed in a Benchmark designs tray. The fit is extremely tight but it looks like it can be done.
http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6985&highlight=benchmark

Last week I installed the full Benchmark setup with 2 Die Hard Platinums (Odyssey equivalent for less) and so far a week later I am pretty happy with the quality and fit. As for performance I bought the new ARB fridge for the JK and have not had enough field time to test the setup but it should be great. Worth noting is you cannot access the spark plugs without removing a battery and it "may" void your JK warranty (not sure). Took me several hours not just a plug and play install to get wiring routed nicely and fasten everything properly. The JK Forum has good write ups. I would do the purchase again.

We're on the road towing the JK behind the RV up to Fort Worden WA to play in Olympic NP otherwise I would be able to send some pics.

Good luck!

Wade

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Thanks Wade! Sounds like an awesome setup. Did you purchase Benchmark Designs wiring setup as well or did you try something else. Any issue with the inside battery being too close to the exhaust? When you get a chance please post up a photograph or two.

Thanks and have fun in Port Townsend. I use to go there for the West Coast Sea Kayak Symposium.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i don't think any battery is what they used to be. i had a sears die hard. lets just say it died easy. it was only a year old. it was in a 300zx with an upgraded 100 amp alternator. i've had wally world batteries last longer and they were cheaper.

i have a yellow top in my commander. so far its holding up great. i have yet to drain it, but i keep my jeep running when i use my winch. my winch does not slow down like it used to with my stock battery. also the commander has a 160 amp alternator so it keeps up pretty good.

get a battery with a good warranty and go from there.:smiley_drive:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
get a battery with a good warranty and go from there.:smiley_drive:
That's the ticket.

Before I worked for JCI, I was a fire alarm/life safety system inspector. I had a very fancy battery tester.
Brand new batteries would come in from Interstate that were 60% dead on arrival! My cheap Chinese batteries were never below 90% and usually at 100%.

From a guy that has been to "battery school", you don't always get what you pay for with batteries.

ExpoMike

I put a Sears Platinum in our Cherokee and moved my yellow top Optima into our trailer. I had my first yellow top go bad within a year and have had issues with red tops in the past. No more Optimas for me ever.

So far very happy with the Platinum. We don't drive the Cherokee more then once a month or so. Hasn't let me down yet and always spins the engine over with power. Warranty is very good and since there are Sears all over the place, the likelihood of finding a Sears is much higher in the event a replacement is needed. That was another problem with my yellow top that died, I had to take it back to the place I bought it, which would have sucked had I already been out of town. Luckily it happened the day before we left so it got replaced under warranty.

My .02 worth. Good luck!

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i really like the optima because its a sealed gel battery. thats the only reason i like it. and i can get one around here pretty easy to replace mine. i'd like to try an odyssey battery but they cost a lot and you can't get them around here.

you can pick optima batteries up at Costco. thats where i bought mine. it was only $150 there compared to $225 around here.

the whole charging system is important to having a a reliable vehicle. you need to have a alternator that is up to the task of charging your battery. you can't expect to throw a large battery in to compensate for a crappy alternator and vise versa. its just my experience over the last 10 years of 4 wheeling. i always have a minimum of a 100 amp alternator.

anyway. off my soap box, i don't know why i felt like i needed to say all that. its still early.:coffee:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Just to make a minor point...

Supposedly the Optimas are not a truly sealed battery - but are light years better than traditional batteries in this regard. You don't want them inside the vehicle due to emitted gases.

The Odysseys are sealed and are ok for interiors.

I haven't confirmed that, just what I've read online.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Optima's do have vents though they are really more like one-way check valves. However, if you hear them venting you are hurting them. They do not normally vent, the vents are there specifically to prevent pressurization of the battery case. If they are venting it is because your charging system is boiling the electrolyte. That is what the Optima tech rep told us when we put their donated 26 yellow tops in the school's HEV.

FWIW my Streamlight charger pulls a fair amount of current when the light is in the holder and even when the light is fully charged. I pulled a red top down nearly dead by leaving the light in the holder for a couple of weeks while the vehicle sat. I now make a point of either not putting it back into the charger, or of putting it in upside down unless I know the the light needs charging.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman