Jeep JK - New battery/batteries - need advise?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
ntsqd quote
FWIW my Streamlight charger pulls a fair amount of current when the light is in the holder and even when the light is fully charged. I pulled a red top down nearly dead by leaving the light in the holder for a couple of weeks while the vehicle sat. I now make a point of either not putting it back into the charger, or of putting it in upside down unless I know the the light needs charging.
I believe it. I actually put mine on an ignition hot only.

Gear

Well I have been trying to come up with some alternatives since $800 for a dual battery setup sounds ridiculous. My thoughts are I have the Chaser with a group 31 battery in the nose box. Maybe I just need to look at some way to make this battery more accessible in the event of battery failure in the Jeep. I actually have these sitting around. A detachable set of 16' jumper cables by Warn. (Part Number: 26769
Quick Connect Booster Cable Kit; Incl. 4 ft. Battery Connector Cable; 16 ft. Booster Assembly; Dust Covers; And Installation Hardware.) Maybe I should just hook these up to the Jeep and carry the cables. Then put a Sears Platinum battery in the Jeep.

Looking again at what I have in the Jeep. Almost everything is ignition hot. Do I really need a second battery to sit there for a what if scenario. The only real plus would be if I plan on moving the Engel into the Jeep for trips without the trailer.

I know I am rambling, but sometimes less is more. Right!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: This little PowerWetz, voltage breaker has allowed me to keep my one battery "Kirkland" 34, going for any of my camping trips

Even allowed my use of the Koolatron-Thermoelectric, for three day trips, before I got the ENGEL

IMGP0642.jpg

I also have an OPTIMA "blue" top for my inflatable fishing boat and various camp duties (portable), I use my solar system during the day and, so far the OPTIMA has never been discharged enough to hamper the solar charge

I wouldn't know what to recommend, for the heavy

winch/lights/welder/inverter users

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Gear

My big complaint with the Yellow Top Optima was it gave no sign of going bad. I had just drove 2 hours with the Jeep and the battery should have been great. Instead the tow truck guy had to hook up not only his jumper cables but also the booster pack that he had to get the Jeep to start. If this had happened at our lunch break an hour before I would have been in big trouble. Yes, I could have pulled the group 31 Lifeline battery out of the nose box of the trailer but it will not fit in the Jeep. I guess I just like options.

Thanks everyone for the different options/opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman