Jeep Renegade and its competitors

haven

Expedition Leader
"...no offerings in this segment that allow you to buy a vehicle with a 101" wheelbase, AWD, and a manual transmission for under $30K."

I'm not completely sure, but I think the Renegade's AWD will be available with the 9 speed automatic only.

The MINI Countryman S All4 is available with a 6 speed manual. Prices start at about $28K.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
If it has anything in common with the FIAT 500L, it will be roomy. I can't sit comfortably in a new Cherokee but the 500L is the most comfortable thing I ever tried on. I'm 6'5" and all leg though.

That's been one of the most confounding selection criteria of my life too. I have to fit. That's ruined many a purchase (damn you, Lotus...).

I feel your pain but I am more equal on the upper/lower body portion of height. Best fitting vehicle I had ever owned is my F350.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
"...no offerings in this segment that allow you to buy a vehicle with a 101" wheelbase, AWD, and a manual transmission for under $30K."

I'm not completely sure, but I think the Renegade's AWD will be available with the 9 speed automatic only.

The MINI Countryman S All4 is available with a 6 speed manual. Prices start at about $28K.

Ok, so $28K not $30K—but who's counting? :D It is, however, the only b-segment AWD with a manual on the U.S. market.

According to the preliminary Chrysler spec sheet, the 1.4 MultiAir will be available in North America only. The C635 six-speed trans will be mated to the 1.4 MultiAir engine with either 4x2 or 4x4 configurations. This gives me hope. Now, I'm willing to bet the farm the Trailhawk, which will likely be equipped with the crawl ratio and does have the increased ground clearance, will only be available with the 2.4 liter engine and nine-speed trans.

View attachment 2015_Jeep_Renegade_Specifications.pdf

Last edited:

shpeedy

According to Jeep/Fiat press release, the Renegade Trailhawk will come with 2.4 petrol or the 2.0 diesel (from Fiat).

Sent from my LG-P760 using Tapatalk

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

Little OT

Had a Suzuki Jimny year 2001 before and wanted a newer one but they stopped sell them in Sweden because it failed the moose test, it lacks ESP. I waited and waited for a new Jimny, but Suzuki never came with one so I went with a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The Jimny is very good in terrain and built like a Wrangler but smaller and about half the price. Shame that Suzuki did not deliver a newer version Jimny. They still make them but it is almost the same vehicle since 1999.

I miss the green color that I had on my Jimny, I can not get a Wrangler a former military vehicle in normal green, strange. I would love military flat green.

They Jimny is rather popular in South Africa as a 4x4 and even as a overlanding vehicle.

The Jimny is a proper 4x4 Like Wrangler with low gear, solid axles, ladder chassi etc. The Jimny have much better turning circle but not so good ground clearance.

The Jimny is rather tiny.

If the Jimny would be sold in US it would probably go for about 12000 dollars.

Here is my old Jimny to left, and my former 2012 Sahara Wrangler

142988264.jpg

My former Jimny

133773154.jpg

133975408.jpg

137279586.jpg

130820634.jpg

From the net

b64ac5395236add53cef787409c24a2c.jpg

150aac2a3194d8e8f7397b77a45af190.jpg

3bb9bf2036fc00ea728f57fde46b8aa6.jpg

suzuki-jimny-hr-01.jpg

Suzuki-Jimny-Mas4x4-30.jpg

(058-061)_jimny_Page_2_Image_0001.jpg

3194c18s-960.jpg

Gorm_Suzuki_Jimny_1_prev560.jpg

Suzuki-Jimny-Facelift-2012-fotoshowImage-2330d8e4-635037.jpg

Last edited:

bluejeep

just a guy
yes well, I see this as an interesting potential. I am looking to replace my dodge Dakota quad cab as my daily driver because it just doesn't fit in Chicago. Too long, poor mpg. I have been considering the Subaru Crosstrek XV hybrid, and am now adding the Renegade (probably the TrailHawk model) to the mix. Unfortunately I need my truck for another 9 months or so (but it's been the best vehicle I've owned). Since the Renegade is forecast to be available late 2014 / early 2015 in the US the timing matches well. Note that I have my TJ for off-roading, and the Renegade would become the daily driver and hiway trip vehicle for the wife and I.

haven

Expedition Leader
The EPA has released fuel economy estimates for the Renegade Trailhawk. With 2.4L 'Tigershark' four cylinder, 9 speed automatic, increased ground clearance, all-terrain tires and low range, the Trailhawk is rated at 21 city, 29 highway, and 24 mpg in combined driving.

For comparison:

-- the Jeep Cherokeee Trailhawk, with identical four cylinder drivetrain is rated to deliver 19 city, 25 highway, and 22 in combined driving.

-- the 2016 Honda HR-V, a similar size vehicle, with 1.8L four cylinder engine, CVT automatic and part time AWD, is rated at 27 city, 32 highway, 29 combined.

-- the Renegade Trailhawk with 2.0L Fiat MultiJet II turbodiesel and 8 speed automatic, as sold in markets outside North America, has a gaudy European cycle estimate of 40 mpg (US gallons) and a more realistic estimate of 30 mpg (US gallons) in typical combined driving, a 25% advantage over the Tigershark gas engine.

The EPA estimates for the standard Renegade with 1.4L four cylinder, 6 speed manual and AWD are not yet available.

SheepnJeep

I'm actually sort of interested in these little guys. I currently daily drive a 2001 Cherokee that is slowly getting claimed by MN rust at 190 thousand miles. The big bonus of older jeeps is of course the 4.0 liter. Lots of torque for towing. Not the greatest mileage. The bummer about the Renegade is a pretty low tow rating. I'm guessing it has about the same interior space as an XJ. And if I'm being totally honest I don't use my current car for serious off-roading 95% of the time. It will be interesting to see how capable the Renegade turns out to be.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
The EPA has released fuel economy estimates for the Renegade Trailhawk. With 2.4L 'Tigershark' four cylinder, 9 speed automatic, increased ground clearance, all-terrain tires and low range, the Trailhawk is rated at 21 city, 29 highway, and 24 mpg in combined driving.

For comparison:

-- the Jeep Cherokeee Trailhawk, with identical four cylinder drivetrain is rated to deliver 19 city, 25 highway, and 22 in combined driving.

-- the 2016 Honda HR-V, a similar size vehicle, with 1.8L four cylinder engine, CVT automatic and part time AWD, is rated at 27 city, 32 highway, 29 combined.

-- the Renegade Trailhawk with 2.0L Fiat MultiJet II turbodiesel and 8 speed automatic, as sold in markets outside North America, has a gaudy European cycle estimate of 40 mpg (US gallons) and a more realistic estimate of 30 mpg (US gallons) in typical combined driving, a 25% advantage over the Tigershark gas engine.

The EPA estimates for the standard Renegade with 1.4L four cylinder, 6 speed manual and AWD are not yet available.

21 city sure doesn't strike me as super impressive. This is an improved version of the Compass engine (wasn't a big fan), which gets the same fuel economy even when paired with a 9 speed?

Edited due to mis-reading the numbers, but my point still largely stands.

Last edited:

dan0

Adventurer
Still waiting to see the EPA figures for the 1.4L Turbo motor with AWD. If I were to buy one of these at some point it would likely be as a daily driver and probably not a Trailhawk. By the time I'd build the 'hawk I'd be into territory for something that's even more capable or just buy a used JK or Grand Cherokee for even less.

dan0

Adventurer
I just went by my local dealer and drove a new Renegade. They have this little loop of right turns for test drives that's only about 2 miles. The display showed an average of 30.3 mpg. Speed was mostly 30-40 mph. Not over 45 mph the whole trip.

I like the little bugger!

pic84.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998