Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Habitat NEMO tent 1.2

We just received the new NEMO tent 1.2, second article sample and we have to say that we are very impressed with the work that has been produced. The flat seam double stitching is beautiful and the extra design features such as mesh pockets and gear loft are very handy and user friendly. The skirting around the forward and rear base effectively re-route water runoff to prevent leakage. We have switched to a durable no-see-um netting to keep out the little pesky ones.

@Kbour7: You'll notice that there are 3 zippers now that will allow up 3 awnings. Future development for the awning is a suspended screen room. We'll be able to use the patterns for a privacy room as well. For now though, we're staying focused on the tent.

We have two small corrections to make to the tent that will be addressed in production. The first is changing the placement of the clear window to the opposite end of the tent and a different clip fastener for the forward skirt. Easy stuff. Production will take place in shortly with the first tents being delivered to us at the end of April.

Here's some pictures for you to enjoy
Hjk tent 1.2_7 copy.jpgHjk tent 1.2_1 copy.jpgHjk tent 1.2_2 copy.jpgHjk tent 1.2_3 copy.jpgHjk tent 1.2_4 copy.jpgHjk tent 1.2_5 copy.jpg

kb7our

Explorer
Very nice indeed, Mario! Thanks for posting some additional pics which do seem to convey AT's high quality standards. Good news on a future screen room and maybe eventually a privacy room. Now that the tent seems final and on track, how are things moving along on the shell side of the equation? We are ready to go camping!

elcoyote

According to UMV the shells are on schedule with a delay from the forge for the revised torsion rods which are now due in 2-3 weeks according to the forge. Other than that we should be on track.

kb7our

Explorer
According to UMV the shells are on schedule with a delay from the forge for the revised torsion rods which are now due in 2-3 weeks according to the forge. Other than that we should be on track.

John, please keep us on schedule so the forge delay (or any other) doesn't keep us from yet another camping season. Let's hope 3 weeks is 3 weeks not months! The waiting game gets tougher with every new delay. Come on forge - it's planning time for summer trips :exclaim:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
With the exception of the skirting around the bed portion, the new exterior pictures don't look too different from the original images posted here. The fabric still looks to be a lot tighter than the recently released model. The first one looks like its going to be noisy in the night wind.

The awnings on the Nemo also look a lot better too. I'd say the choice for me would be easy, Nemo all the way.

elcoyote

With the exception of the skirting around the bed portion, the new exterior pictures don't look too different from the original images posted here. The fabric still looks to be a lot tighter than the recently released model. The first one looks like its going to be noisy in the night wind.

The awnings on the Nemo also look a lot better too. I'd say the choice for me would be easy, Nemo all the way.

You are correct that the general shape and appearance is generally the same as the first NEMO. Many of the changes are small things that improve wet and cold weather performance and add convenience: skirting, privacy panels, rear window operation improvements, new screening, 3 awning capacity vs. 1, window awning improvements, flat seam double stitching throughout. One of the things we are proud of it that this tent is sewn in the USA at a facility the does DOD mil-spec work. Their quality and attention to details is excellent.

Will you be coming to OVX this year? Seems like forever since we saw you! Come hoist a cold one with us at the AT booth.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
You are correct that the general shape and appearance is generally the same as the first NEMO. Many of the changes are small things that improve wet and cold weather performance and add convenience: skirting, privacy panels, rear window operation improvements, new screening, 3 awning capacity vs. 1, window awning improvements, flat seam double stitching throughout. One of the things we are proud of it that this tent is sewn in the USA at a facility the does DOD mil-spec work. Their quality and attention to details is excellent.

Will you be coming to OVX this year? Seems like forever since we saw you! Come hoist a cold one with us at the AT booth.

We're spending a month driving to and around Alaska in June/ July, so no OVX for us this year. However, with the new images and your release of the Habitat top, I have been shopping for a new Jeep. I sent the wife and kids to Jeep today to look at and drive one. The last time she rode in a jeep it was my 04 Unlimited with coilovers poking through the hood. She had a hard time seeing over the dash with the Mastercraft seats that were in it. She liked the JK a lot more than my LJ.

I'm bummed that Jeep isn't offering the "Land Cruiser" tan paint for the new year. We will have to save the toast for your office when we are fitting a new top.

Ursa Minor

schedule

please keep us on schedule

That's the plan, but we rely on all suppliers stay on track as well - NEMO, the forge and other fabricators all commit to deliver on time, to specification and on budget so it all comes together as we increase the rate of production. In the right scenario, when a supplier slips they catch up through other means, for example NEMO held to schedule by pulling the production back to the USA when they ran late.

The recent slip in schedule on the forged components was unexpected - the supplier let us know they scrapped 40 some torsion bars for being out of spec, which then stopped our final assembly operation (but not the composites fabrication.)

Making stuff is fun (most of the time)
John

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Wow, that Nemo tent looks fantastic. Great work!

Two questions:

Has a price difference from the regular to Nemo tent been announced?

Did you guys think about making the rear tailgate/window a barn door design?
It occurs to me if the hinges were put on the side of the glass, on the same side as the tailgate windows, a barn-door like door could be achieved.
What do you rate my chances of being able to modify the top & glass & hinges to accommodate this?

Thanks,
-Dan

kb7our

Explorer

Is the forge a week closer with only 1-2 weeks to go now (should line up nicely with incoming Nemo tents you anticipate late April)? Do you think a backup forge may be needed? Do you expect to crank out any more completed Habitats this month? Would be nice to see a rolling timeline update for units 2, 3, etc. maybe once per week (seems reasonable for those of us with deposits) so we know where things stand for summer trips this year. Thanks, guys!

4/13 Update: Since it now appears delivery is "hinging" :sombrero:eek:n the forge coming through according to what they said (rods due in 2-3 weeks which was stated nearly 2 weeks ago), how's this timeframe from the forge holding up to be real within another week?

Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
any updates?

I suspect an update may be coming very soon since it will have been 3 weeks for the forge to meet their own commitment on the torsion bar. I hope it is good news for this critical part. Nemo sure stepped up to the plate changing to a US tent manufacturer for a faster turnaround and the production version is looking spiffy. Mario - will the Nemo zip on awning be available for purchase when Nemo tents start delivering?

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Maybe I missed it, but what is the pricing like on this thing? The website says that a price list is available for download, but either it doesn't exist or the link doesn't work.

I've been planning to have a pop-up camper built for my F150, but I just looked at a new Rubicon Unlimited and it peaked my curiosity a bit. Before I order a bunch of new gear for my truck, I'd be curious to see where I'd end up ($$$) with a new Jeep and Habitat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior