Jevy's humble M-416 build thread

Jevy

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I did the bearings/seals this morning on the trailer so I only have a couple of small things to do. I have the tires/wheels back on the trailer and it's to a point where I could use it. I am going to make a generator carrier on the tongue in the next couple of days. I think I will then try to figure out about what to do with the mounting of a cooler on the back. I'm thinking about switching the rotopax to mount inside the trailer so I can have space on the back for a cooler. At this point that is all I have plans for.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
You will have to change the title of this thread to Jevy's "Kick ***** M-416 build thread soon!!

nice work.

Jevy

Adventurer
yeah I know it's a contradiction but my list for now is done. I want/need to drive it some before I do anything else.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I agree with Highlander! You are being very optimistic about a CJ. Once you drive it, the list will start all over again. Just remember my tagline about JEEPS

Jevy

Adventurer
Well I've taken 10 or so days off of messing with the Jeep/trailer. I just needed a break. This morning I fab'd up the generator box for the tongue. I am going to put a piece of plywood in the bottom of it and at least on the front to keep any debris from hitting it(at least the big stuff). I have a cover for the generator and expect it to be on at all times when the trailer is moving. I will probably also weld a chain to it so I can lock it up if ever needed.

Today was the first time I was able to use my new welding table.
30666dc2b08d1d394f86cada0a723e87.jpg

c989129c57b8b070fc5f9c8801c7d08b.jpg

eae5a33bb8d1bc759b6e206aa7d28b2d.jpg

c2cf176c8c4c843645c4f76f08fb24dd.jpg

619e244fdb46a6af9b2c05291086f602.jpg

So now the list for the trailer is getting shorter and shorter.

Things left to do:
Tires(may do it this week)
Monstaliner(waiting on a few days/nights over 50* so it will probably be several weeks until I can do the ML)

The elephant in the room is for me to figure out how to carry a cooler(and that's kind of a big deal for me at this point). I am starting to debate on a frig but I don't know what I'm going to do. If I only had two people all the time I would put a removable rack over the jeeps rear seat area and mount a fridge but that won't work whenever I have more than me and one of my sons. Honestly don't know how often both of them will be going with me(if ever) but I don't want to rule that out just yet.

The plan is to go on a trial campout in a couple of weeks(if not raining) to try out the trailer/Jeep.

Jevy

Adventurer
well here I am a week later and can say I have finally hooked up the trailer/jeep together. Tomorrow 4 wheel parts is putting new tires on the trailer and other than monstaliner(which I'm still waiting on good enough weather) the trailer is complete. The only other thing I'm debating now is whether to go with a fridge or cooler and just where am I going to put the dang thing. That's probably one of the most frustrating things I did was fail to plan a course of action for the cooler/fridge.

I know it's not a big deal to anyone but me but to see the trailer/Jeep hooked up just made me happy inside. I know the tongue isn't perfectly level but I'm going to run it like this for a little while. I still have the stiff rear springs that were on the Jeep when I bought it and may end up swapping them out for a set of matching Rubicon express 4.5 leafs in the rear(hopefully won't need it though).

c11e05751f1aa203bda9ace8c5e758ea.jpg

238745f4b927c009ec0c56ab644c0964.jpg

6285123f93d6ae7b98b9cea5f77f69dd.jpg

22399ad2a0e4a010225b072e32c795e2.jpg

Jevy

Adventurer
the tongue angle is exaggerated in the picture. My rear springs on the jeep are a little lower than the front and the driveway is on a small hill so that makes it look more different than it really is.

Jevy

Adventurer
well I pulled the trailer today for the first time. I had two new tires installed on the trailer so now I have new rubber all around. My Jeep has a detroit rear locker with 4.56's and driving the trailer in corners is what I would say "interesting". I quickly learned letting off the gas in a corner/bend in the road would make the whole rig track better through a corner. My Jeep has a 350 and 4.56 gears but it knew the trailer was back there. I hope to get it out for a trial run in the next couple of weeks.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good stuff. Always feels good to see all of your efforts come together and work out like you planned. I remember the first drive with my trailer all painted up with the lid on...was on my way to get the RTT mounted. SO many thumbs up, felt like a proud papa. lol

350 will be nice with those gears on the trails.

Jevy

Adventurer
well I have only towed it once and am already planning on re-doing a couple things. As I've posted a couple times I was really struggling with how to mount a cooler on the trailer. Last night I found the edgestar fridge back in stock and on sale so I opted for the middle size fridge(63 quart). I really questioned myself whether the smaller size would be large enough or the middle size too big but I figured it better to have more capacity than needed than not enough.

So here I am with a couple of things to debate. One is that I am going to fab up a mount for both on the Jeep and on the trailer. I think I'm going to put together a rack that mounts above my tonneau cover so it can ride there(that's the easy one) but now I need to figure out what to do about mounting the fridge. Obviously I'm stuck with either putting it on the front or back of the trailer. One thing that concerns me is fridge on the front would likely get showered with road debris while traveling but it makes more sense to put it on the front because that's where the house battery is on the trailer. On the back it would be more protected from debris but it's further from the battery but I think I would like it on the front more. Either way some cutting/welding is going to have to be done. Any thoughts/input/ideas????

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Room for the fridge, inside the trailer but upfront? That is where I usually put my cooler, but with the steel lid that also keeps it animal proof.

Where did you get the Edgestar from? I want a fridge/freezer this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman