Jiro's diesel Xterra

roninjiro

Explorer
Eh, it is just a feeler ad. I probably will never sell it. Thank you for the complements! Patrick, when you find out if you can come out and play let me know!

roninjiro

Explorer
Yea, it will be at 1pm. Location depends on the people going, but if there is no talk of a location the default will be Ski Shores restaurant. If you have a FB click here for the discussion. *Oh yea and the hidden falls thing may follow after*

ineedabeer

Hey, silverback. I most likely will go out to HF next Saturday with you guys as well. I got my lift put on about a month ago and have been itching to go SOMEWHERE ever since! Since I have an opportunity to go this Saturday as well, I'm going to jump on it. I was just wondering about a beer and burgers type of meet up. I am most likely going to big bend, but it'd be good to get together to put faces with names and discuss logistics and all. Anyway, pm me some details. I was going to pm you, but couldn't figure out how to do it on my iPhone. Too lazy to bust out the lap top right now, plus, truth be told, I'm watching The Walking Dead right now! Anyway, I look forward to meeting you guys!

Gfunk1127

Murse
Hey Ronin,
Just read this entire thread... I am amazed! This is exactly what I have been looking for. I really am interested in how things are going now.
In one of the videos your exhaust is spitting some smoke. Is it always like that?
I have also noticed quite a few of the pics weren't posting up for some reason.
Also, if not a diesel what would you have preferred to put in there?

Thanks!
G.W.

Last edited:

roninjiro

Explorer
Hey Ronin,
Just read this entire thread... I am amazed! This is exactly what I have been looking for. I really am interested in how things are going now.
In one of the videos your exhaust is spitting some smoke. Is it always like that?
I have also noticed quite a few of the pics weren't posting up for some reason.
Also, if not a diesel what would you have preferred to put in there?

Thanks!
G.W.

Thank you!

Things are fine, I drive it everyday as it is my daily driver. I take it to the local offroad park with great results, drive the highways daily with no issues, drives like it should. I just need to keep up with regular maintenance which I have been really lazy about. I think I have about 4k miles on the swap now and I should have done an oil change at 3k miles (because I have no idea what quality oil was previously used).

The black smoke is technically excessive fuel in the burn. The only time is shoots smoke like if i immediatly floor the accelerator from a stop or cruise speed. It is just too much fuel at that particular moment and not enough air being shoved down the intake (turbo spool isn't quick enough to offset the immediate dump of fuel). Also the way engine rpm is regulated, is totally different from gasoline engines. The accelerator actually regulates how much fuel is allowed to be injected vs a butterfly valve (throttle body on a gas engine). Works like this Fuel>>Rpm>>Spool

Most pictures were hosted by my facebook so they may not link to those anymore for some reason. HERE is some older high resolution photos.

Well that comment was for the newer chassis xterra/frontier. To try to comply with emissions, and also have to put the same year or newer diesel (to stay legal technically) will break the bank for most. For any diesel equipped vehicle 2003 and below you are not required to have the new diesel particulate exhaust system, IIRC it is 2007 and newer that require them. Anyhow if you have a 2005-2006 chassis you should not have that issue, but you will still break the bank importing the YD. I think the newer chassis xterra/frontier have the perfect engine equipped in it already, and that I would not change.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I had the privilege of seeing the rig this past weekend. Install is slick! Looks completely factory, very impressed! I was even more impressed when he told me he did it in a 1 car apartment garage using his wifes muscle! :). That's dedication and a good wife.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I'm very jealous, I would love to do a diesel swap for my Gen 2 XTerra and I wanted to convert our FJ80 as well.

roninjiro

Explorer
Well they each would cost about the same if you did the swap yourself at around $6-8K just for the front clip. Or $12-20k if you paid a shop to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12