Jiro's diesel Xterra

roninjiro

Explorer
Original drivetrain yielded me about 14mpg. This was kept up in maintenance as well. Same truck an same driving habits with this new setup yields me on average 22mpg. Also thank you for the kindness :)

edit: this is an idea of fuel cost differences

in diesel form $17.72 per 100miles at $3.90 gal of diesel
or at 15k miles a year at $2,658

in gas form $25.71 per 100miles at $3.60 gal of regular unleaded
or at 15k miles a year at $3,857

Last edited:

roninjiro

Explorer
My wife and I had a talk about travel. In two years we are planning on doing the Pan American Highway with the Xterra. It will be refitted for the trip to meet the needs and use advice from others that have completed the trip successfully and unsuccessfully.

On this list for change:
1. lowering the truck or replacing the suspension altogether
2. possible repaint to sand, off white, or white
3. possible body change, if not then body modifications (for sleeping and storage reasons)
4. less aggressive tires that are better suited for on road travel
5. auxiliary fuel tank
6. undercarriage reseal
7. to be continued

Slicky72

Adventurer
Might be easier to start building a different rig... that said I am interested to see what changes you make . You deffinately have the skill to build what you want.

roninjiro

Explorer
Yea that is what we are on the fence with. We have a new 2012 frontier that would fit the bill easy, but we don't know if we will want wait and pay it off to do the trip or not. If we go that route, we will sell the xterra to pay towards the frontier.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Sounds like a steady plan. Both platforms are well suited to overland travel. Just depends how you want to travel. The Xterra can be detuned to smooth expedition duty. But, no kidding around the frontier is a better platform for a mild cross country overland road trip. Better ride, more power, more comfortable more cargo. Though either can be used. The Xterra has benifits being more offroadable, shorter wheelbase, your diesel would possibly net better mpg's. Its also a vehicle that you know really well, know how to repair and fix should something go wrong. Its a tough call.

roninjiro

Explorer
Silver, It is a extremely tough call. following with pros and cons in current conditions of each. 2 adults 2 children

Xterra Pros:
-I know it inside and out
-Aftermarket bumpers
-Great off road use
-Diesel
-title in hand
-We love it

Cons:
-Horrible front suspension = uncomfortable ride and short wheelbase doesn't help(no kit can fix that unless it is all lopped off and redone with coils)
-Very limited cargo space (biggest problem)
-draw a lot of attention (blacked out, military look)
-no lockers

Frontier Pros:
-Lots of space
-Comfortable
-Should not draw to much attention
-ABLS (eliminates my need for lockers in iffy situations)
-Aftermarket support for the D40 (OME, ARB, Safari, etc)
-sleeping platform capabilities (flipptop, 4 wheel campers, custom, etc)
-have snorkel for it
-love it also

Cons:
-Just purchased and must be payed off before the trip
-Would like to have front winch/bumper, OME kit, A/T tires, seat covers, etc.
-afraid to scratch it (lol I know but it is sooo pretty according to my wife, but that will be overcome)

Even when I write down the pros and cons and the Frontier comes out on top in a sense, it is just hard to think I will be getting rid of one of these when the time comes. Material things and letting go has always been hard for my spouse an I.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yeah same dilemma I have. Cargo volume is small. With a crew of 4 I'd look into cargo roof boxes. Or maybe a trailer. You are spot on with your pro's cons list. I love my xterra in much the same way. It's my girlfriend and I's favorite getaway vehicle lots of memories of trips gone past. Would he hard to not want the experience to continue. Especially as much effort I have put into it over the years to make it capable for such excursions. Would seem like a huge loss to just chop it off and move on especially as well equipped as it is now. But, when it has 1980's suspension technology and in my case a engine that is noisy and gutless. It doesn't make the best cross country touring machine especially through mountains. I have the best IFS suspension I can buy well.. under the TC kit. The ride isn't half as good as a showroom stock 05. But, it functions I've always thought of the xterra as a good at nothing but can do everything. It doesn't cost me anything to own and the challenge of ownership often adds to the fun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

roninjiro

Explorer
Yup, it would be different if it were just my wife and I. We finally took a 500+ mile trip over the weekend and it was extremely pleasing in the new frontier (with the old vg33e from the xterra in the back for delivery). Right now we really want to take the X, this is kind of what it was being built for. Logically I would be slapping myself in the face if we proceed on with taking it down there with us. Guess I may have to clean the xterra up a little and put it on ebay for some feelers to see what it is now worth (that part scares me).

Silver dude

Xplorer
If you really want to take it then take it. You don't want to look back on it negatively especially if you have been prepping for this trip since you bought it. Plenty of people still tour the world in old CJ-7's and old VW's. It doesn't have to make sense. It would save you money. Money you could invest into the trip for greater comfort elsewhere. Then after the trip you would know for sure how you sit on selling it and it's fit for your family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger