JK 4-door to 2-door long wheelbase conversion.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I just got done looking that over at EJS last friday....very nice.

The vehicle has been shortened over a standard 4-door wheelbase correct?

Clutch

<---Pass
J8hardtopnowindow.jpg

I'm digging this one without windows. I think its very 'commercial' looking. No fluff, no extras, just a simple top. This would probably be what I would build out of aluminum currently. I wonder what the best system would be to make a double wall structure and beef up the edges a bit? Generally most aluminum tops seem to have a condensation problem. I wonder what the best way around that would be?

That photoshopped looks great.

How about foam core, fiberglass/poly/resin. What material(s) are XP Camper using?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think fiberglass would probably be the most common way to make the top....I think the factory top is basically made that way?

Making the buck for the fiberglass top would be the hardest part I think. Basically I think you would have to build foam model in the vehicle to get the shape right, and even then I think it would be pretty challenging to get it symmetrical left to right. Once you get the top shape you have to wax it up and make the mold. Then pull the mold off. Prep the mold. Then make your final model. Things like the door edge openings would be REALLY challenging I think.

Coming from a background in computer design in my engineering job I just want to design the entire top in Solidworks :) I'm still leaning toward a nice functional aluminum top. I think with the aluminum top you may end up with a stronger design that would hold up better to heavier off road use. I'm still very interested in having the corners made out of heavy wall aluminum tubing to act as reinforcement.

I do like the no-window commercial looking color matched top. I think it looks like Tom Sheppards G-wagon a lot....clean, simple, utilitarian.

For out and about travels I think having less windows might be better. It does limit visibility a bit, but with decent mirrors I don't think its a big deal. With the no window sides the rear cargo area would be more secure....and private if you where sleeping in there.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
commercialJK.jpg

I did another chop on a vehicle that was modified a little bit more...the JT concept truck based on the J8 body.

The more I think about this style of vehicle the more I like it. I didn't think I would like the simple utilitarian top without any windows, but I think it just goes the best with the long wheelbase 2-door chassis.

Ok Jeep, now build me one :) With a diesel :) And a heavy duty axle package :)

Honestly though. I think the difficult parts to make, mainly the J8 style body package is available currently, though at what I would say is a pretty high price. I wonder how much you could sell the top, insert, and rollbar parts for from the kit. I don't need those.

The top is a big question mark, but there are at least 3-6 major fiberglass topper manufactures in the USA still right....ARE, snugtop, etc. I may have to approach of those companies to see if they would be interested in the idea? I wonder how applicable a vehicle like this would be to utility companies, state gov, wildland fire, or other uses? It would seem that there is a gap in the domestic market for a mid-size off road utility vehicle with increased off road performance over your standard off the shelf pickup truck ( other than the full size powerwagon ).

For me a vehicle like that just fits. I hear Burnsville can pull off the 2.8 diesel swap in the JK now with imported ( and EXPENSIVE ) parts from germany or whatever.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I hear carbon fiber is just as strong and loads lighter than metal, what about making the top from carbon fiber?

Its totally possible. The process has the same hurdles as fiberglass....and I think you pretty much have to cure it in an oven to make it the strongest possible.

Remember, there is a difference between strong and durable. I think a properly constructed aluminum top would be WAY more durable than a composite one in the long run.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
Its totally possible. The process has the same hurdles as fiberglass....and I think you pretty much have to cure it in an oven to make it the strongest possible.

Remember, there is a difference between strong and durable. I think a properly constructed aluminum top would be WAY more durable than a composite one in the long run.

I would agree with out on the aluminum, and if you decide to change something you can cut and weld rather than have to make a whole new top.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Agreed, I think with the aluminum top it would be much easier to add options also....

Windows, tie-down points, roof racks, solar panels, sand mat mounting points, fold down tables, shovel and/or axle mounts, etc.....

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
I am toying with the idea of removing my rear side windows on the Cherokee and having a pannel welded in place of the glass. Not sure yet. I would have to get a junker to do that with to see if I like it enough to do it to my DD.

Clutch

<---Pass
I am toying with the idea of removing my rear side windows on the Cherokee and having a pannel welded in place of the glass. Not sure yet. I would have to get a junker to do that with to see if I like it enough to do it to my DD.

Or a hinged access panel...

5877606711_ce719d106a_z.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Agreed, I think with the aluminum top it would be much easier to add options also....

Windows, tie-down points, roof racks, solar panels, sand mat mounting points, fold down tables, shovel and/or axle mounts, etc.....

Plus you can always insulate it to curb condensation...well that and to keep the cabin comfy...

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm just glad you didn't say door ;)

LOL.

You know on your version, it would be cool if looked like there wasn't an access panel there, but was...

Something like this where the seems are barely visible, and even had a hidden latch.

7522anm_27.jpeg

if the whole side opened that would be cool....

commercialJK.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Depending on how much time you wanted to spend on the design.........

You could just have the entire side of the top open up vertically. If you retained the factory 4-door B-pillar in the conversion you would even have a pretty decent seal on the front edge of the access panel.

I saw a European commercial utility truck conversion on something that was kinda like that. The entire back kinda opened up. I wish I could find a picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online