Jk build

LIVEABOARD

Adventurer
jk build

agree wanting 2 go w/33's but dont really want 2 lift much more then stock if at all what do u sugest for springs shocks installing AEV bumper/winch

SixLug

Explorer
You should definitely search through the Jeep section, as there is a ton of information on modifying JKs. You can gain a lot of knowledge pretty quick that way. Good Luck!

winkosmosis

Explorer
Apparently you can even fit 33" without a lift, but there will be "some rubbing"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610856

FAQ: Will it rub?
The JK with stock wheels, no spacer, no lift

32" tires: no rubbing
33" tires: some rubbing
35" tires: don't try

The JK with stock wheels, 1 1/4" spacer, no lift

32" tires: no rubbing
33" tires: some rubbing
35" tires: don't try

The JK with stock wheels, no spacer, 2" lift

33" tires: no rubbing
35" tires: some rubbing
37" tires: don't try

The JK with stock wheels, 1 1/4" spacer, 4" lift

33" tires: no rubbing
35" tires: no rubbing
37" tires: some rubbing
38" tires: be careful
39" tires: don't try

winkosmosis

Explorer
If you want to use 33", figure out where it rubs.

My XJ has 31x10.5" tires on 2" lift, and the tires are wide enough that they rubbed on the control arms before I put some washers in the steering stops. I think I'd rather have a narrower 31", but there is no such thing.

If the 33" tires rub on the arms, there is an easy solution... use a narrower 33".

haven

Expedition Leader
The Jeep Wrangler "Overland" concept built by the Mopar Underground design team and show at this year's Easter Jeep Safari is a good example of a mild build of a Wrangler Unlimited.

wrangeler-overland.jpg

Here are a couple of higher resolution photos
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/09april/jeep_overland.asp

interior:
remove rear seat
rubber floor mats front and rear
water resistant front seat covers
Daystar dash and switch panel

internal "roll bar" to support roof rack
photos of the roll bar here http://forum.jkboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=7603&sid=008fedc917025413f2a9dcf043e90788

hardtop roof painted to match the body
rooftop rack and awning
roof-mounted tent

Mopar 2.5 inch suspension lift
I think this is made by Rough Country. Other JK 2.5 inch lift kits
are available from Skyjacker and Teraflex

heavy duty rear sway bar by Full-Traction

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A 35 inch tires
17 inch Mopar steel wheels, painted to match the body
probably should install 4.88 gears for the taller tires

AEV front bumper with winch plate
Warn 9.5ti winch

custom rear bumper with tire swing-away mount

AEV heat reduction hood and snorkel

Mopar windshield-mounted off-road lights
Daystar bumper mounted lights

Zeero

Adventurer
32''s are stock size on 17" rims.

For expedition use i would recommend 3" inch Old Man Emu spring lift and 34-35" tires.

Example: We run the OME lift with 34.5" Maxxis MT tires, zero rubbing, except at full compression in the rear....however that can be avoided with the sway bar disconnected in the front.

DSC_3914.jpg

DSC_3880.jpg

The 3" lift and 34.5" Maxxis Bighorns are nowhere near "over the top" and work perfectly well with the 4.10 gears....a great basic setup for expedition use.

:elkgrin:

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd do an Nth Degree 3.5" lift and 35's ---- I see breakover angle as something to mitigate with the longer wheelbase of an Unlimited. A 2-door is fine on 33's for overlanding.

And 33's won't rub if you pick the right tire and wheel/offset at stock ride height. I get a very small amount of rub on my fenders at full-stuff in the rear with 285/75-16 MTR Kevlars on Procomp wheels with 4.5" backspacing and 0 offset.
4.75" backspacing and 255/85-16 and I bet you'd get no rub at all (and make all the Landy guys burst with joy at your tire choice).

I'm liking that idea of mounting the basket on the roof with rollbar support underneath.
Thank you...

LIVEABOARD

Adventurer
Will not be doing any rock stuff or river fording just dirt/gravel fire roads desert roads lots hwy as well 35 would be 2 big i think just want nice ride and keep it simple

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You have a large field of racks, from cheap to expensive

Now there's a new one that will support well over 500 lbs

Checkitout

MBRP JK RACK (mbrp.com)

:coffeedrink::Wow1::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Zeero

Adventurer
LIVEABOARD,

Sounds to me like you'd do just fine with a bone stock Rubicon model.

It will have everything you need.

MBATF

Finally got JK unlimited want to keep expedition rig build very basic 33 or 35 tires what would u do ?

For Unlimited Jk I would suggest you to go with at least 35". You will be able to complete 90% of trails out there with ease. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan