JK Unlimited Expedition Build

moto-treks

On the road
With the snow gone and the sun shining, I decided if I wanted to to have my JK Unlimited ready for the summer, I had better start building her up :smiley_drive:

Here is what she looked like a from the dealer. The dealer had installed the Rugged Ridge bumpers but other than that she's stock.

i-TGwczqv-L.jpg

Well, I have added a few bits and pieces before today but now she is a two seater

i-NTxFvDC.jpg

Prior to this I've installed a winch and painted the grill black.

i-zXHBGc4.jpg

Gobi Roof Rack - I'm planning on having a Howling Moon Stargazer up there if they ever come in :smilies27

i-zXHBGc4.jpg

and Rugged Ridge tire charier (front and rear bumpers came with the jeep)

i-2q4FCBw.jpg

Now I've need to decide what to do with the inside. I have an ARB fridge I'd like to mount and maybe some sort of storage but I'm undecided on just what. First thing I'm thinking about is getting the whole tub LINE-Xed.

Edit:
I should have mentioned that I'm building up this JKU for long distance international travel. Meaning, I'm planning to take a multi-year trip to parts unknown. Current ideas are Mongolia, Africa and maybe South America but as these plans are a few years off, one never knows how they will change. In the meantime, it will be used to travel around here in the USA, Canada and Mexico. This may explain some of the modifications I am doing, like removing the rear seats as will as future additions – should be a fun couple of years experimenting with what works and what doesn't :beer:

Last edited:

moto-treks

On the road
SUPER nice!

How was the Gobi install? One is on the docket for my JK this summer.

It was really pretty easy; Remove the rear bumper and attached the rear mounting posts, attach the front light bar, attach the rack to the rear posts and swing it up and over the top. My wife came out and help when I needed to start lifting it onto the Jeep. Having that second person really helped. In all I'd say it was about 4-5 hours to install.

Looks great, although your bird doesn't look very impressed.

He was a little pissed at that point because I had put all the hand tools away. He's a fanatic when it comes to tools and helping ;)

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
How come you pulled the rear seats out? Looks like a great build for now. Keep us up to date with the upgrades.

I see you're in WA, are you going to the Overland Rally this year in Leavenworth/Plain?

moto-treks

On the road
How come you pulled the rear seats out?

Well, for one I want to bedline the whole tub. I just can't see having the carpet in there when it's going to do nothing but get wet and muddy. Then, I want the extra space that those seats take up when folded. I'm planing on traveling in the JK for an extended period and every square inch helps.

I see you're in WA, are you going to the Overland Rally this year in Leavenworth/Plain?

I did mark the dates down in my calendar. If nothing comes up that gets in our way then we should be there :)

apalmer

Adventurer
It was really pretty easy; Remove the rear bumper and attached the rear mounting posts, attach the front light bar, attach the rack to the rear posts and swing it up and over the top.

This might be a dumb question, but hows the wind noise? I have had roof racks on pretty much every vehicle I have owned, so I'm familiar, but I have not had anything of this...magnitude.

moto-treks

On the road
This might be a dumb question, but hows the wind noise? I have had roof racks on pretty much every vehicle I have owned, so I'm familiar, but I have not had anything of this...magnitude.

I did notice more wind noise at highway speeds. I have a wind deflector but have not tried adjusting it to see it that helps. Is it unbearable? No, in fact, I hear more road noise after removing the rear seats and carpet than I do wind noise. Today, when I was out exploring some logging roads on the side of Mt Spokane, i didn't notice any noise coming from the rack. There was more noise from the tranny in low than wind noise from the rack.

I'm wondering how much noise will be added with the RTT as thats another 8-10 inches on top of the rack. Then again, I prefer not to driving on freeways if possible so wind noise is not really a problem.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: It looks great, but

I'd hate to have to use that HiLift, when the cargo's packed in, or it gets wet/muddy/dirty-or reinstallingit-

I like the jeep color to-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

moto-treks

On the road
:sombrero: It looks great, but

I'd hate to have to use that HiLift, when the cargo's packed in, or it gets wet/muddy/dirty-or reinstallingit-

I like the jeep color to-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

We are use to traveling by motorcycle so I sure hope I don't fill the back up with gear ;)

Now, putting it back in all muddy will really suck. On my old CJ I keep a HiLift on the front bumper which had its disadvantages too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior