JKs with RTTs. What rack to use?

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I may get a roof rack for the JK and get a RTT. I looked at the Gobi rack but also looked at normal roof racks like the ones Thule has. They have a gutter mount set up. Just curious if anyone has either or.

I'm more curious on the Thule though only because I've seen lots on the Gobi already and they look real beefy. Plus I'd like to be able to stay in the garage when the RTT is removed. And I may just squeeze by with the Gobi stealth model. The Thule looks to sit lower because it's just the mounts and 2 bars.

I'd like to stay with a drill less set up. If anyone has other suggestions or info on what I'm looking at now I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Chris

apalmer

Adventurer
I really would not recommend using a rain gutter mount system for a RTT...I ran my bikes up top using a Thule 1A raingutter mount, and that's about as much weight as I would put up there.

I bought a Gobi after shopping for about a month. Its not cheap at all, but there is no drilling anywhere, and it's one of the few that you can take off with no trace left on the vehicle. No holes, no damage, works awesome.

Last edited:

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Cool. I was going to figure that the rain gutter set up wouldn't work well but wanted to see what other people's opinions were.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I really like the ARB touring rack with the flat back for a RTT but I don't think there's a mounting kit to get it to work. I'm going to shoot ARB an email tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions with their rack and a JK.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Don't think the Congo would work with my bumper since the back part mounts to it.

kingg5

Adventurer
Don't think the Congo would work with my bumper since the back part mounts to it.

it actually doesnt. it mounts to the bumper mount behind the bumper. as far as i know (from experience in the bush ) it works with all aftermarket bumpers. I can confirm this on my local board. Ill get back to you this afternoon.

there is also a local guy in vancouver bc who is selling the congo cage and basket for 395 (just north of you)

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
The AEV roof rack works great with our James Barroud RTT. Best part is it mounts to the roll cage and works with any bumper!

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
it actually doesnt. it mounts to the bumper mount behind the bumper. as far as i know (from experience in the bush ) it works with all aftermarket bumpers. I can confirm this on my local board. Ill get back to you this afternoon.

there is also a local guy in vancouver bc who is selling the congo cage and basket for 395 (just north of you)
Oh, the picture on their site makes it look like it's mounted to it. It must rest on it or something.

kingg5

Adventurer
Oh, the picture on their site makes it look like it's mounted to it. It must rest on it or something.

ill see if i can get you a photo of where it mounts.

edit.

JK-rear-assembly.jpg

there is a bracket that goes down to the spot where the bumper bolts on and i guess from others experiences is beefy enough to handle the load.

from what i can tell its a complete NO DRILL SYSTEM. should work well and the price is right.

u can really see the bracket here. looks like part K

http://www.safarijeeps.com/wp-conte...ger/upload/50341-50351 Instruction 121023.pdf

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
yeah that's the pic. I thought it was mounted to it. Looks like it just rests on the bumper or is just barely hovering over it.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I don't have a JK, I have an LJ but I know that body armor makes the same rack for the JK. I have the base system with the mounting brackets that they make. On those I have 4 Thule load bars with locking quick release feet. The entire RTT attached to the load bars can be removed if needed. Of course you'd need a really high garage with some kind of lifting mechanism or sme tall strong helpers. But it works great. I've been on road off road you name it. No issues at all and I throw some serious weight on that thing. add to that over 400 lbs of sleepers in the tent. There are photos on my profile page in my albums.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: With a hardtop, the MBRP JK/JKU Rack will support 350lbs mobile and over 750 lbs static, but

You've gotta drill holes in the SIDES of the top-

Mine is still 100% active/w no leaks after 5 years-

Also sold as Quadratec "Off Camber Rack"-

PICT0099.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

Can'tbeatem

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears