JKs with RTTs. What rack to use?

skates04

Adventurer
New Rack for the JK

I was looking through the latest issue of 4 Wheel Drive and came across a new rack from Garvin/Wilderness Racks.... They call it the JK roof top tent rack in the magazine, or on their Facebook page its referred to the short adventure rack.

Garvin does not have it on their wilderness racks website yet, but there is a picture in the magazine and a picture on their Facebook page... Looks like it uses a combination of a gutter mount with legs in the back that mount to the bumper for added support. It also appears to have an optional ladder for the passenger side.

Looks like they first published this back in May 13' on Facebook, made it seem like it was new in the magazine... maybe it will be released soon.

417822_543903525653479_625132800_n.jpg

This looks like another version of it

1017208_657043487672815_267410754_n.jpg

936121_543902795653552_697581378_n.jpg

Last edited:

LUISJG

Explorer
I rather drill thru the hard top and just use atchment for the rtt inself ,,forget the rack, ,, a full rack is just noise, low gas milage,. besids you will drill more holes with a rack .
or go custom I built one back in 2007 ,, real good, no noise and with gas can carriers and cero drag. ,I have the pictures

Last edited:

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Any particular reason a roof rack is the only option being considered? What about permanently mounted pop up tents? Some of these still allow you to mount gutter rails for light objects if required.

I have been through the same debate with myself and that is what I have been thinking about.

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
Thanks! Not sure about the MBRP, only ever really considered the Front Runner and Gobi, really just sold me with the modularity, and amount of accessories they have for it vs price point. Plus the video of them picking up a Jk via the roof rack with a crane didn't hurt!

alaska101

Observer
I just installed my gobi rack on my 13 rubicon and this rack is a tank, I love it!! Very well built and looks amazing
yjutu6y3.jpg
ruseveny.jpg
epunedeg.jpg

The only thing is I now have to move the sat radio antenna. No big deal.

Sent from my GT-P7500M using Tapatalk

skates04

Adventurer
Is any one running a Baja Rack? They have them for the JKU now, 3 different designs... some what like the Gobi

I kinda like this one, its flat in the back for a RTT with a cargo area up front. Price point is nice, $970.00

iso-big.jpg

banner-jexp2.jpg

Still debating if I want to sell a kidney and get the J30, or do a RTT and rack....

skates04

Adventurer
I am running the Baja Rack Utility/Flat rack with my CVT Mt. Rainier on my 2013 JKRU.View attachment 210068

dwood,

How do you like the Baja Rack? Have you had any issues with it?, not including the RTT how is the road noise?

I might have a deal on a used J30 but if not I am planning on a Baja Rack and the CVT shasta. So much pretty much your same setup with a slightly smaller tent.

Thanks!

Lucas

dwood

Lucas,

I like my rack. Noise is minimal. I have kept my tent on for the last 6 months. It does not rattle if installed tight. My brother's Gobi' expanded metal flooring rattles. I recommend the baja rack utility rack.

dwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle