JKU Tire Opinions?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Forgot to add I also have a Traildash2, so I've got tunes....maybe that'll make up for the extra weight?

Thanks guys...

I want the most height I can get. I want triple peak weather rated. I want lightest weight. Don't think I can have all 3!!!

For the size tires you are looking at, low weight should be the least concern. There isn't enough difference to create a concern there.
Actually I'd consider the opposite if anything, as weight engineered correctly is puncture resistance. :)

do yourself a favor and look at Kelly springfield safari tsr. in the end i went with these and they are really great and much more cost effective.

Fishrising

Observer
So, I am getting the 285/75/17 Falken WildPeak A/T3W tires installed on Saturday! Between price and the "no questions" asked 30 day test drive policy at my local tire shop, I had to give them a go. If I don't like them, for whatever reason, I can exchange them within 30 days for no cost other than the difference in price of the tire I choose to replace it with. So, I figured I would try it, and if I don't like it, I can switch it out for one of the others I narrowed it down to.

Thank you all for your thoughts/opinions/comments on this!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
30 day test drive is an awesome way to check it out. :victory:
My buddy has the first generation Falken Wild Peak tires on his Grand Cherokee.
That tire is like Clark Kent - Superman. It looks mild, but works rippin' good. The price was awesome as well, allowing him to do the budget boost at the same time.

Hope you are as happy with these as he is with his. :beer:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For the size tires you are looking at, low weight should be the least concern. There isn't enough difference to create a concern there.

I disagree with that.

I can absolutely feel the difference in power and handling from the weight I added with my KO2s and steel wheels.

Power is down because it has to turn more mass, and it handles differently because of the additional unsprung weight.

I keep saying if I could change one thing about my setup it would be the weight, and I keep daydreaming about lighter wheels and tires.
Of course, then they wouldn't be as durable as you said, so it's a fine line to walk.

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hi Dan,
You've added significant weight with the wheel choice, and also added weight with the tires. So if you are comparing that combo to stock, it is a significant weight difference overall.
In your case, I think it is warranted and smart for the reasons you stated when you settled on them.

In this situation, it is a choice between the weight of specific tires. Not a tire wheel package compared to leaving it stock. When comparing the weight differences between his specific choices, that delta is insignificant.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
This is the reason I stayed with 285s. Do I want 37's.....hell yeah, Do I want the drawbacks that come with them....HELL NO! 285s on my procomp wheels drive and handle great on my rig. I am geared with 3.73, on the ole 3.8. I can scoot along 110kph no issue even with my camper in tow. I think the ole rig would suffer with 37's with the same load on. I would be cheap to goto 37's because I can just add the teraflex body lift, and mopar high clearance fenders and have enough clearance. Sort of the same clearance I have now, with 285s and current setup. Doing it that way, I can keep my suspension the same, but add more clearance. But I digress. 285s are the perfect choice for 90% of people who have jeeps.

Fishrising

Observer
285/75/17 Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws installed!

Here are some before (255/75/15 KMs + 1.75" Rock Krawler Budget Boost) vs after (285/75/17 A/T3Ws + 1.75" Rock Krawler Budget Boost) pics:

falk001.jpg

falk002.jpg

falk003.jpg

Rear tire before vs after:

falk004.jpg

Front tire before vs after:

falk005.jpg

Spare on stock carrier, touches 3rd brake light arm and bumper. But it actually makes it "snug", not "squished:"

falk006.jpg

This shows the gap between the rear tire and the rock rail, as well as my Sahara against a stock Sahara:

falk007.jpg

Only rubbing so far was in reverse with my wheels cut hard left. Still need to flex the suspension a bit to see what else will or will be close to rubbing. I do have 1.5" spidertrax spacers if I need them. Right now the tire is just under the fender, if I install these, the tire will be well outside the fender.

I didn't get a pic, but I put these 285/75/17 unmounted tires side by side to the same unmounted tire in 35x12.5r15, and height wise there may have been a 1/2" difference, probably a little less than that.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
WOW! :eek:

They look great! With the ride height, they look like 35" tires. :victory:
If they are as good as the original Wild Peak tires, you should be very happy for a long, long time. :beer:

(none)

Adventurer
They look real nice. Hows the ride with the e-rating?

Can you measure the width of the tread? I'm curious. Those measure within .5-.75" of what most 35s measure mounted, and just a tad over what the bfg 34s are measureing mounted. They look to be about 1" narrower than the common 35x12.5" tires as well, seems like a really good size.

Fishrising

Observer
Ride wise, they've only been on local roads that are in pretty good shape. Speed bumps in parking lots I noticed I am going a little slower over. Haven't had them off pavement yet. They are noticeably quieter than the stock KMs.

Tough to tell in the pic but at 32psi, with the hardtop on, the rear tire is about 11" wide, a hair over, but much closer to 11" than 11.5".

3d4233832f1d850b9bd6b5a062e69bfd.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
By the looks of this picture, you could probably drop a few more PSI, if you don't carry a lot of weight.

Nice tread design.

Fishrising

Observer
By the looks of this picture, you could probably drop a few more PSI, if you don't carry a lot of weight.

Nice tread design.

Day to day, I don't carry a lot of weight. Maybe I will let a few PSI out, but honestly the ride is fine for me as is. Now, that's given that I haven't had it on sort washboard, or off pavement yet, or even on bad pavement yet....

Fishrising

Observer
And here is with the wheel spacers installed, the tires barely stick out past the stock fenders, and tuck in nicely when articulated. Before wheelspacers the front tires rub on the sway bar at full turn in reverse. After the wheel spacers were installed they rubbed on the front air dam. Cutting out a 5"x5" square out of the end of the air dam alleviated that problem.

falk008.jpg

falk009.jpg

falk010.jpg

So, the spacers helped me alleviate some tire rubbing, then introduced some more (which I rectified), and gave the Jeep a better look in my opinion. I also have a sneaking suspension, articulation wise, I will do better in my current setup with the spacers than without. I like the stock Rubicon wheels, and did not want the added expense of new wheels, so the spacers are working for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger