JKU VS Tacoma

hilux30

Observer
As someone who wrenches on cars and trucks equally, I would recommend to stay away from Jeeps... no offence to any Jeep owners but just weak in too many critical areas like drivetrain seals and bearings to name a few... but in JK's diffence they are simple and "usually" cheap to repair. I feels like Chrysler just spend too little money on secondary components where things wear out and leak too often...

haven

Expedition Leader
"...the goal is a expedition build to travel around South America, the US, Canada..."

Either the Jeep or Tacoma will work for your trip if you plan to stay in hotels, or sleep on the ground next to the vehicle. If you intend to add camping capacity (popup rooftop tent, camp kitchen, increased storage for food, water and gear), the Toyota is the better choice.

The Tacoma, with more space in the bed and higher cargo capacity, provides more options for the camper part of the equation. A Tacoma with a lightweight pop-up camper would be an inexpensive and proven solution for long term travel. A Wrangler can be made to work for travel measured in months, but requires greater sacrifices in comfort and convenience.

There are several well-documented Tacoma camper builds on the ExPo forums. Tacodoc's Flip-Pac camper is one of the most popular
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/34407-Doc-s-AT-FlipPac-Build-Thread

Nathanael Kuenzli's thread about his Tacoma with 4 Wheel Camper popup is another very well documented example
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/47306-The-TARDIS-A-Four-Wheel-Camper-Build

Containerized

Adventurer
Also, I'm in the process of building a list of useful parts that are interchangeable with the Tacoma 4.0L current-generation.

Right now, it's a messy spreadsheet, but I'm slowly building a list of LC Prado and Hilux parts and bits... happy to share once I get it into better shape, for those of us using the Taco outside the U.S.

Xodius

Adventurer
Well I am a jeep freak. I am on my third and love them. My current setup is a 2008 JKU with OME HD suspension, a few hundred mods sitting on 35's. I love my jeep and bleed jeep. With that said, there is always something to work on when you own a jeep. When I bought mine I was looking at the same things as you. The reason I went with my jeep is, 1-I am a jeep freak. 2-I couldn't find a taco that I really liked within my price range. 3-I know jeeps better and know what I need to work on and what to look for. I also wanted a smart vehicle, even though they are about the same, to squeeze into areas that I go into. I off road a good amount and am an avid hunter.
Downsides of my jeep, power...it is a jeep not a dragster, lol. I am fine with slow get up and goes. The obvious need to wrench it a fair amount.
My wife has a Toyota and with the exception of a few small issues it is a great vehicle.
Now with you saying you would take it to SA I would have to say I am not sure how readily available jeep parts are there, I truly don't know. I know they are there just not sure how available.
Even though I am a jeep guy, I would probably suggest a Taco. However, that does depend on your wrenching ability. I do know several jeepers in SA so I personally would contact them in case I had an issue.
Oh and the ride in my JKU I think is fine. I have done many cross country trips in it and it is very comfortable, not Cadillac comfortable but I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
the goal is a expedition build to travel around South America, the US, Canada.....

I drove my stock TJ from Alaska to Argentina, and kept a keen eye for Jeep dealerships/parts/etc., so I can chime in on the "Jeep parts availability bit".

Checkout this page to see where Jeep has official dealerships. I have to imagine an official dealership can order you anything you might need.
http://www.jeep.com/crossbrand/intl_site_locator/index.html

Basically, there is an official Jeep dealership in every single country, and many small mechanic shops will have or can get suitable consumables.
I had no problem getting oil & air filters in Mexico, Panama, Colombia & Argentina. I was also interested to see they had things like headlights, serpentine belts, etc.

Of course, the biggest difference is that every Mechanico on the side of the road knows how to fix a Toyota, and probably knows of one nearby he can pull parts off.
With the Jeep, you might find people are not as familiar with it, and so you'll wait / or have to pay bigger bucks for service at a real dealership.

Personally, I always figured if I got in a real bind, I'd have my brother buy the part in North America and ship it to me, and I'd wait beach-side for a few weeks until it came.
No big deal.

In summary, driving the Jeep will put you at a disadvantage for parts/service, but I wouldn't let that sway you.

-Dan

It's anecdotal, but my TJ made the 40,000 miles without a single issue. Nothing more than flat tires (nails) and oil changes.

I'd like to add to my first response. The answer/advice given was purely of the practical nature. Now being a practical and pragmatic person 99% of the time one cannot discount the advice given. However, there is an emotional side. I have a list of very capable vics in my stable. Even at their age they are extremely reliable and being expertly maintained are very capable overlanding machines. Most of the last seven years they have sat at my home in wyoming while I have been off around the world with my career meaning their age does not reflect the amount of actual use. Also, all of my equipment can be place on any of my platforms. Out of all of them the most impractical one to take on a long journey is my 2 dr JK BUT, it is the first on my list of preferences.

A jeep is a different kind of vic. With the top off it is the closest thing you are going to get to the feel of a motorcycle, that is being a part of the environment and not merely a spectator trapped in a can. I drive it because then I will have it where the road I have taken ends; this is where the true enjoyment happens. Driving my Jeep is pure joy and brings a smile to my face not because of its highway handling characteristics it is something more which I lack the words to describe.

There are others that share similar feelings. This is why there is the saying "it's a jeep thing" some get it and some do not. Nothing wrong either way a person may feel. Perhaps this should be factored into your decision. :coffee:

These are exactly my thoughts. In fact, one of my favorite vehicles of all time (have owned about 24) was a 1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ. The 87 was the worst year ever made, with a transmission made out of beer cans, and a motor suffocated by emissions crap. I loved the stupid thing driving it around England with the top off, even getting rained on at times..ok all the time.

I am a Toyota guy these days. I enjoy the robust stock drivetrain and the simplicity of fixing things. I think the Jeep is coming up in the world of providing axles that can survive 37" tires and the newer fender kits are allowing big tires with zero or little lift to keep cog low. My Cruiser is a sky scraper to clear 37's.

I am not a big fan of tacomas, but they are great vehicles. The 4runner is essentially similar, however made in Japan, and this seems to reflect. I had frame rust issues, constantly cracking windshields in cold climate ( I believe it was to much body flex tweaking the window frame). They are not much smaller than a Tundra and not much better mileage either. I had two friends with 2011 tacomas and had front differential issues right off the lot. If seeking new I believe a new tacoma is slated for release soon? I could be wrong. IFS is not a deterrent as modern IFS lifts can be comparable to solid axles and superior in washboard terrain.

As the others have said, drive them both. The jeeps new motor is pretty sweet, the auto is much improved.

GHR

Observer
Both good vehicles, but for your use I would suggest the Tacoma. More suited to the task. Here in Canada you might choose differently only in that for some reason the Tacoma TRD Off Road option is now only available under the Access Cab option ( TRD Sport is available in the Crew Cab but that does not have have a locking diff). Personally I think the Frontier Prox-4X is an equal but underrated competitor , often favored by Four Wheeler magazine etc, but I think fewer dealerhsips out of country. That said here is a more recent rating, though if you read all of the details their conclusions may need some better support (e.g. They note low clearance for the Frontier as a CON and yet the specs used show it as second highest of the vehicles tested- in the end these tests always subjective and all are great vehicles depending on your need). Note that the Tacoma referenced is the Baja model.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_1301_the_ultimate_factory_4x4_shootout/viewall.html

Last edited:

Big_Geek

Drop Bear
I test drove both and liked them both. In the end, I chose a 2013 Tacoma. This came after talking to owners of both Jeeps and Tacomas. I felt that the Taco held up better over time. This may be due more to demographic of owners as opposed to actual platform, but is still a factor to me. I'd like to keep this truck for over 10 years and pass it on to my son. In my mind, the only detractor on the Taco was lack of a factory front locker, but in all honesty, I think the cargo space of the short bed enormously outweighs the lack of front locker.

Good luck!

Containerized

Adventurer
grecy -

I know one was an American engineer deployed alongside UNOPS in Juba. I think he just decided to bring his truck with him when he got his container allowance with his deployment orders. Had a lift and some basic mods (H2O Nato can, hi-lift, etc.). Seemed like a nice guy, we talked for a few minutes.

The other I didn't get to talk to, but it had KM2's, so it was obviously "fresh in country" or had access to World 1.0 supply chains. I saw it in crawling traffic leaving Kampala toward Kigali and it looked essentially stock except for tires. Ugandan plates starting UAQ, which means it was imported after March 2011. Two women in it, but unsure whether they were American. It is silver with a hardtop. Given the direction of travel, license plates, and passenger demographics, I'm guessing they are foreign engineers/investors/etc. in Uganda who were going to Rwanda to see the gorillas for the weekend (a popular trip for people new in country).

I think the closest Jeep dealer is over a thousand miles away from the areas where these Jeeps were spotted (the importer in Nairobi).

jktowhere

Observer
Question,

This day and age couldn't you get a part mailed to you within a few days in this day and age if you had a jeep in a setting like that? I would of course have a crucial supply stash on board. Our am I to green and really don't grasp how hard it can be to get stock parts out of country.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Question,

This day and age couldn't you get a part mailed to you within a few days in this day and age if you had a jeep in a setting like that? I would of course have a crucial supply stash on board. Our am I to green and really don't grasp how hard it can be to get stock parts out of country.

More likely it will take a few weeks, then depending on what it is and what country you are in, it could be another few weeks and dollars for it to clear customs.

Essentially though, yes.

-Dan

dnorrell

Adventurer
I just want to chime in briefly on how I faced this decision earlier this year and where I am at now. I was really in a dilemma between Toyota and the Jeep JKU, and ended up buying a 2012 JKU. In that time, it has been upgraded with AEV 4.5" RS, 37s, S-pod, ARB deluxe front, winch, lights, and on and on. It does ride pretty nice with the AEV kit, and I've got all kinds of ground clearance :) All that said, I have nearly 15k miles on it so far, and I'm on my 2nd manual transmission, and I am still having issues with synchros and transmission chatter. Jeep is bringing in an engineer to look into the problems further. Then, there are many that have had head issues with the Pentastar on the 2012 model year. Not sure if that has been fully sorted out enough to not appear on the 2013s.

To keep it short, I love my Jeep - but I have my regrets in not going with a Toyota. I think it would have been a better solution for longer trips with my Irish Wolfhound (plenty of space for him in Jeep, but little left for schtuff). Maybe it would have been better if I had gone with an automatic? Who knows. I know the tranny problems I am having are pretty wide-spread, at least reading the forums (whatever that's worth). I am fairly certain this will be my last Jeep. Never say never though :)

jktowhere

Observer
Thanks! I am getting the same feeling I should have kept my 80 series. I have ruled out a Tacoma as I just really don't need the bed. Rather have inside cargo. Toying with a 80 and no payments not or jku with payments. I am thinking I might go back to 80. Mine had 240k and only normal service and a steering pump. The jku is far from that quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior