Joinin' the Montero Club with a Gen 2.5

jlocster

Explorer
El Norte--Santa Monica, CA to Prudhoe Bay, AK

"El Norte," or so the journey from Santa Monica, CA to Prudhoe Bay, AK has been dubbed, is underway.

Last summer's trip from Santa Monica to Nova Scotia and back proved the Montero a worthy overland vehicle so I decided to up the ante a bit.

I've been prepping the Montero for this trip for months...some things I have documented in this build and some due to time constraints, I have not.
Front bumper, tire carrier, revised interior sleeping platform, revised front, side and rear exterior lighting, second house battery, aluminum roof rack, awning and roof top tent were all upgrades made in preparation for this excursion.

As I write this I've been on the road for a little over a week and am now in Fort Nelson, British Columbia, a day's journey from Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory, and two days from Fairbanks, AK and the start of the Dalton Highway. Days are long here...it's 3 AM and still light out. Mosquitos, blackflies and horseflies abound. DEET is mandatory.

I'll let the pictures tell the tale.

Montero prepped for departure.
WP_20140622_002.jpg

WP_20140622_001.jpg

San Francisco bound for the road dog, Hank
WP_20140622_006.jpg

Day 2 in Elko, Nevada and already up on the rack. A vibration at speed was caused by wheels that needed to be rebalanced.
WP_20140623_001%5B1%5D.jpg

Idaho (outside Craters of the Moon National Park) en route to the Montana high country north of Missoula for a rendezvous with old friends.
WP_20140623_004.jpg

Montana High Country hide-a-way
WP_20140625_002.jpg

Glacier National Park, Montana
WP_20140626_16_49_47_Panorama.jpg

WP_20140626_015.jpg

Red Jammers
WP_20140626_005.jpg

IMG_0464.JPG

WP_20140629_002.jpg

WP_20140628_014%5B1%5D.jpg

WP_20140629_001.jpg

Big Sky Country, Montana
IMG_0643.JPG

Fuel Stop, Sunburst, Montana
WP_20130719_001%5B1%5D.jpg

WP_20130719_003%5B1%5D.jpg

Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

Athabasca Glacier, Banff
IMG_0405.jpg

Glacial skid marks
IMG_0394.jpg

Creatures of Banff
IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
Clem, I believe its an elk. The side lights are not wired up yet...but when I do I'll wire them as blinkers so they indicate turns.

Thanks nwoods, a long drive indeed...especially with no cupholders!

jhill15

Explorer
Man I just spent an hour reading your thread!!! I couldnt stop reading lol!!! Youve built an amazing rig and done things that most of us dream about!!!

Awesome stuff man!!!

Cheers!!!!

jlocster

Explorer
El Norte, Part II

The next leg of the journey took us along the Alaskan Highway through British Columbia and into the Yukon Territory before we entered Alaska.

In motion, Alaskan Highway, B.C.
IMG_1011.JPG

Natives of the Lower Liard, BC
IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

The hats of Toad River Lodge, 9000+ at last count. Give 'em your hat, they'll staple it to the ceiling. I kept mine.
IMG_1161.JPG

Alaskan Highway Sunset
IMG_1066.JPG

Gassing up at a portable filling station. These are godsends in the boonies.
IMG_1137.JPG

Yukon Territory
IMG_1299.JPG

Watson Lake, YT, home of the Sign Post Forest. Luckily, we had a spare pie tin.
IMG_0455.jpg

Hank punching his name
IMG_0450.jpg

Immortalized for all eternity
IMG_0454.jpg

Dragon's Den Bar, Watson Lake, YT
IMG_1329.JPG

Insect assasination and post mortem clean up, Destruction Bay, YT
IMG_1495.JPG

If in Whitehorse, do not miss Bocelli's.
WP_20140716_008.jpg

Along with great pizza, Whitehorse has great trucks. I want this.
WP_20140716_001%5B1%5D.jpg

And this. This vehicle was actually for sale and later purchased by someone on ExPo. link
WP_20140704_004.jpg

Alaskan Border
IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_1526.JPG

A swath is cut through the forest to demarcate the border as far as the eye can see.
IMG_0462.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
wow, what a journey, keep us posted on your fuel costs and avg spendings. I ve been thinking of doing a journey to Alaska as well.

Clem

Adventurer
The next leg of the journey took us along the Alaskan Highway through British Columbia and into the Yukon Territory before we entered Alaska.

Alaskan Highway, B.C.
IMG_1011.JPG

Natives
IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

Yukon Territory
IMG_1299.JPG

Watson Lake, YT, home of the Signpost Forest. Luckily, we had a spare pie tin.
IMG_0455.jpg

Hank punching his name
IMG_0450.jpg

Immortalized for all eternity
IMG_0454.jpg

Dragon's Den Bar, Watson Lake, YT
IMG_1329.JPG

Insect assasination and post mortem clean up, Destruction Bay, YT
IMG_1495.JPG

If in Whitehorse, do not miss Bocelli's.
WP_20140716_008.jpg

Alaskan Border
IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_1526.JPG

A swath is cut through the forest to demarcate the border as far as the eye can see.
IMG_0462.jpg

More to come...

Fantastic adventure...Thanks for sharing!

Clem

jlocster

Explorer
EL Norte, Part III

From Destruction Bay, YT it was on to Fairbanks, AK for the night, after which we would head up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay.

Dalton Highway
WP_20140705_014.jpg

The road itself was in fairly good condition. Maybe 2/5 paved and the rest dirt. The dirt sections were hardpack gravel and fairly smooth, for the most part allowing 50-60mph travel. However, pot holes were frequent and could sneak up on you at any moment. Some sections were really bad and the rig took a few healthy hits.
WP_20140705_027.jpg

At the Arctic Circle
IMG_0607.jpg

Arctic Graffitti
IMG_0469.jpg

Alaskan Pipeline...Interestingly the pipeline itself is on sliders allowing for freedom of movement as the temperature changes.
WP_20140705_020%5B1%5D.jpg

Crossing the Yukon River
WP_20140705_016.jpg

We camped along the Dalton just past Coldfoot at Marion Creek. Head nets and Ben's 100% Deet in full effect. Short sleeves are a bad idea. None of us slept much.
IMG_0481.jpg

Crossing the Brooks Range
IMG_0487.jpg

Performing the "Alaskan Wave" at Atigun Pass. The mosquitoes here were the worst I'd ever experienced, despite being at elevation.
IMG_0490.jpg

This car had been parked for just a few minutes before THE HORDE descended.
IMG_0493.jpg

Supposedly belonged to a couple of tourists.
IMG_1830.JPG

Melting the tundra.
WP_20140706_009%5B1%5D.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
EL Norte, Part IV

We arrived at Prudhoe Bay around 5:30 PM, although time starts to loose meaning with 24 hour sunlight. Temps were in the 50s, not bad. Plus my cell reception was better than back home. Our accommodations for the evening would be provided by the Prudoe Bay Hotel.
IMG_0547.jpg

WP_20140706_014%5B1%5D.jpg

Hank suited and booted.
WP_20140706_016%5B1%5D.jpg

WP_20140706_024%5B1%5D.jpg

Beats sleeping outside.
WP_20140706_025%5B1%5D.jpg

It was just in time for chow. Overnight was $135 per person but included 3 meals because aside from the hotels, there's nowhere else to eat. As luck would have it we arrived on a Sunday, which meant prime rib. Apparently, every Sunday means prime rib. The food was incredible. There is no alcohol allowed anywhere on the North Slope. If you get caught with some, you'll be on the next flight out.
WP_20140706_023.jpg

After a nap, Hank and I decided to check out the neighborhood. By this time it was 12:00AM, the fog had rolled in with some wind chill, and it was utterly freezing...it was hard-to-hold-your-camera cold. Probably beach weather for the locals, though.

Big treads.
IMG_0523.jpg

Big winches.
IMG_0550.jpg

Big blowers.
IMG_0532.jpg

Big trailers.
IMG_0521.jpg

Apparently 7 3/4 mph is way too fast.
IMG_1886.JPG

Million dollar view...2:30AM.
WP_20140707_001.jpg

This truck idled the night away feet from my pillow.
IMG_0544.jpg

Our second day in Prudhoe Bay included a bus tour to the Arctic Ocean. The actual shoreline is restricted and the bus is the only way to get there.

Tundra fractals...the temperature extremes cause the ground to crack.
IMG_0579.jpg

Despite heavy industry, wildlife persists.
IMG_0592.jpg

Make no mistake, the environment here is greatly altered.
IMG_0588.jpg

The Arctic Ocean and the site of The Big Plunge.
IMG_0571.jpg

The Big Plunge...water was +-35 deg F. The anticipation was the worst part.

After our little swim it was time to leave.

Final photo op outside Brooks Range Supply's General Store.
IMG_0601.jpg

Filling up the tank.
IMG_0596.jpg

Ouch...by this point I had stopped bothering to look.
IMG_0598.jpg

Filling up the mugs. Believe it or not, there is a drive-thru coffee house at the Stallion Camp.
WP_20140707_006.jpg

FYI, bring your own toiletries, you don't want to have to buy them up here.
WP_20140707_004.jpg

The ride down would prove more exciting than the ride up because of...

A Dalton Highway Cautionary Tale
A group of local Fairbanks guys had decided to rent a Suburban for the weekend to make the drive up to Prudhoe Bay. This is big a no-no with the rental companies, of course, who don't want their vehicles damaged. On the way up the Dalton, the guys blew out two tires, which they were able to get patched up in Prudhoe Bay.

On their return trip down the Dalton, they they blew out two more tires, were able to borrow another spare from a passing Suburban, and then blew out a 3rd tire and were stuck on the side of the road just north of Coldfoot. One of the guys then hitched a ride into Coldfoot with the 2nd Suburban, along with a flat tire, to get it patched. Luckily for them, Coldfoot has a tire repair guy.

After overhearing the story while eating in Coldfoot, we agreed to drive the patched tire back out to the sidelined car so they could bring the vehicle into Coldfoot to get the other tires fixed. By the time they swapped on the newly patched tire and reached Coldfoot, they had another flat in a 4th tire.

Tire repair hi-jinks in Coldfoot
WP_20140707_009.jpg

They ended up patching 4 tires in Coldfoot and buying an old spare that the tire guy had laying around. At this point we told them we'd follow them the 253 miles to Fairbanks. Since we were carrying a patch kit and had a compressor on-board, we could help them if need be. Not surprisingly, they got two more flats on the way to Fairbanks, one of which was able to be repaired roadside allowing them to limp home at 35 mph. Grand total of flats over 2 days on the Dalton Highway: 8.

We had left Prudhoe Bay at 2PM Monday and didn't get in to Fairbanks until 6AM Tuesday. After 414 miles up and 414 miles back, the Montero never skipped a beat.

Postscript
The guys later told us that upon returning the Suburban, they told the rental company about all the flats, leaving out the part about the Dalton Highway, of course, and the rental company refunded them one day's rental fee for their troubles.

More to come...

Last edited:

MicahB

Observer
Grand total of flats over 2 days on the Dalton Highway: 8.

As someone who could easily see themselves in this position, I'm going to ask a clearly newbie question and ask what's the difference between your tires and the rentals tires? Just that you have beefier off road tires or was there more to it?

jlocster

Explorer
what's the difference between your tires and the rentals tires? Just that you have beefier off road tires or was there more to it?

Micah, this exactly. The Suburban had street tires, Goodyear Assurance, to be specific. Such tires combined with a heavy vehicle on rough surfaces = no bueno. I was using all-terrain tires which are more heavy duty. Even so, my tires took a beating..the treads got plenty chunked from all the gravel. For the record, I was running Hankook Dynapro ATM.

Interestingly, at the very beginning of the Dalton while on the way up, we spoke with a German couple who had just done the complete drive in a Volvo station wagon with street tires and had no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online