Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Josh, the X is looking killer. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on those coilovers long-term. I've heard good things about them so far, so I'm interested to see how they hold up over time.

Awesome little trip you took there! We're getting a bunch of snow over this way, so I haven't been able to do much solo exploring. Glad to see your locker helped extricate you from that potentially bad situation. I've had the exact same thing happen to me, where the trail gave way under me, and my locker rescued me in much the same fashion. They really are worth every penny. I'll be making sure to keep a locker in my future vehicles.

Sweet news on the bumper as well. That will look great on the back of your rig. That build time can't be beat either.

Keep exploring brother. :)

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Well, moving into the new house has kept me from doing anything big on the X or taking any weekend trips lately. Now that my move is complete, I'm right back at it.

Firstly, I decided to swap out my OME + spacer setup with the new Nisstec MK84 extended travel coilovers w/600lb springs. This was mostly to accommodate the extra weight of the ARB bumper and in preparation for the impending addition of a winch. I installed them Friday night, and first impressions are pretty good. Noticeably stiffer and more compliant suspension and handling. Way less body roll and nose dive on braking. The coilovers are adjustable, but I'm running a 1/2 inch PRG spacer on top in lieu of increasing the spring pre-load to get me up to about 3 inches of lift. All around, I'm happy with the choice.

Hi, A couple questions if you don't mind as I'm looking at that exact lift. I have the ARB bumper on order, will be buying a winch, and also have a CVT Mt. Shasta on order.
Did Nisstec recommend the 600 pound springs for your application, or did you choose those? (I am uncertain of deciding between 600 and 650 pound springs)
Did the 1/2 PRG spacer come with the MK84 kit or did you order those separately from Nisstec? (I'm assuming you ordered directly from them)
What did you do in the back? (I currently have the Nisstec 2" AAL/spacer lift, and am assuming I could choose the rear shackle option instead of the AAL as I already have that.)

I love the look of that bumper, can't wait for mine to show up so I can get it installed. Have you put much thought into a winch yet?

Thanks again
Carlo.

jhberria

Adventurer
Josh, the X is looking killer. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on those coilovers long-term. I've heard good things about them so far, so I'm interested to see how they hold up over time.

Awesome little trip you took there! We're getting a bunch of snow over this way, so I haven't been able to do much solo exploring. Glad to see your locker helped extricate you from that potentially bad situation. I've had the exact same thing happen to me, where the trail gave way under me, and my locker rescued me in much the same fashion. They really are worth every penny. I'll be making sure to keep a locker in my future vehicles.

Sweet news on the bumper as well. That will look great on the back of your rig. That build time can't be beat either.

Keep exploring brother. :)

Thanks, Tom. I'm also leery of going to far into the hills solo, as both the Cascades and Olympics are getting pounded with snow this year. I can only imagine how much of the white stuff you Montana folk are getting.

I'll post my impressions of the coilovers once they see some more usage. Haven't been able to get any technical trail time in (and probably won't until the Spring, due to weather). Seems like the only key difference between these and the Radflos is the performance of the strut/shock (with Radflos obviously having the edge here), and the Radflos being rebuildable.

Hi, A couple questions if you don't mind as I'm looking at that exact lift. I have the ARB bumper on order, will be buying a winch, and also have a CVT Mt. Shasta on order.
Did Nisstec recommend the 600 pound springs for your application, or did you choose those? (I am uncertain of deciding between 600 and 650 pound springs)
Did the 1/2 PRG spacer come with the MK84 kit or did you order those separately from Nisstec? (I'm assuming you ordered directly from them)
What did you do in the back? (I currently have the Nisstec 2" AAL/spacer lift, and am assuming I could choose the rear shackle option instead of the AAL as I already have that.)

I love the look of that bumper, can't wait for mine to show up so I can get it installed. Have you put much thought into a winch yet?

Thanks again
Carlo.

Hi, Carlo.

I had originally planned on going with the 600 lb spring, and spoke with Nisstec about my needs and intent for the truck and this is what they recommended, as well. I can say that with the ARB bumper, they are still quite stiff when left at the factory preload setting. With the addition of a standard 8000lb winch, the springs would soften a bit. I had originally considered going with the 650 lb springs, but now I'm glad I didn't. That being said, another member on here (Trixter) is running the Nisstec coilovers w/650 lb springs and just skids and sliders on his X, with no complaints. Although I know he is adding a steel plate bumper and winch soon.

The spacers DID NOT come with the coilovers. I already had them, as I bought them from PRG over a year ago. You can actually get 1 inch top mount spacers from Nisstec, which I would highly recommended. This would allow you to dial down the preload on your coilovers, providing more available travel from the shocks while still retaining lift.

My rear is a bit of a Frankenstein setup. I have a Nisstec AAL and PRG adjustable shackles set to the bottome (one inch) hole. Recently, I also installed the Hellwig 550 adjustable helper springs. These are nice as they progressively manage the load and I can adjust them to accommodate different loads. If you've already got an AAL and don't want to commit to new aftermarket leaf packs, I would just get Nisstec or PRG adjustable shackles.

You'll like the ARB bumper. The look is a little more "traditional" than the alternatives, but I like it. It's also a bit lighter, which is nice. I haven't really put too much thought into a winch yet. It would be nice to have one, but honestly at this point I'm leaning towards throwing a few hundred bucks at a set of MaxTraxx. I've been stuck in the snow (or nearly stuck) twice in the past couple weeks.....situations where I could have quickly and easily recovered myself with a set of traction ladders like the MaxTraxx. They seem like versatile tools and worth the money when you actually need to use them.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I've heard great things about those bumpers. Enjoy it!

For your little excursion off the trail, would it have been possible to winch out if you didn't have a rear locker? I'm trying to think of what I'd do in that situation sans any locking differentials, and I think something like MaxTrax would be the only way out, especially traveling solo.

jhberria

Adventurer
I've heard great things about those bumpers. Enjoy it!

For your little excursion off the trail, would it have been possible to winch out if you didn't have a rear locker? I'm trying to think of what I'd do in that situation sans any locking differentials, and I think something like MaxTrax would be the only way out, especially traveling solo.

Realistically, no. I could not have winched out of that particular predicament. To my right was a sheer rock face and to my left was a steep decline with no trees I would have felt comfortable winching off of. I suppose with some sort of artificial ground anchor, I could have, but in my estimation the MaxTrax would have served me better and provided a quicker/easier remedy to my stupidity.

Dmski

Adventurer
Wow didn't realize you swapped the suspension! Looks great. I'd vote for maxtrax or something like that. Less weight and they can help in many spots, especially since you have the locker. but a winch looks pretty sweet and is functional for sure.

jhberria

Adventurer
Wow didn't realize you swapped the suspension! Looks great. I'd vote for maxtrax or something like that. Less weight and they can help in many spots, especially since you have the locker. but a winch looks pretty sweet and is functional for sure.

Yeah, the suspension was a recent change. Thanks!

I'm leaning towards some sort of traction board over the winch right now. For my purposes, it just seems like the better option. I'll just have to figure out an external mounting solution, as the roof isn't really an option when I have my tent up there. I might end up rigging something that allows me to easily mount/remove them from the Gobi ladder.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Beautiful Xterra and Beautiful Pictures man. Your rig is the one that convinced me I want the ARB bumper. Keep on truckin' man, I look forward to reading you future updates.

jhberria

Adventurer
Beautiful Xterra and Beautiful Pictures man. Your rig is the one that convinced me I want the ARB bumper. Keep on truckin' man, I look forward to reading you future updates.

Thanks man! Love the snorkel, by the way. I was soooooo close to getting in on TNX group-buy, but I needed the rear bumper more and couldn't justify it. Oh well, next time.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Hey, did you add extended front brake lines to your setup? I've inquired with Nisstec and they are recommending them with the addition of the 1" top spacer on the MK coil over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhberria

Adventurer
Hey, did you add extended front brake lines to your setup? I've inquired with Nisstec and they are recommending them with the addition of the 1" top spacer on the MK coil over.

Nope. You won't need them. I even tried my 1.5 inch spacers on top of the coilovers, just to play around, and there was still enough brake line even while turning the wheel at full droop. I like Nisstec (and what they offer for the Nissan community), but they're wrong in this particular instance.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Cool. It's hard to keep track with this aging melon of mine, but are you still running the OME coil overs with those 1.5" top spacers and the rear AAL with shackles?

jhberria

Adventurer
Cool. It's hard to keep track with this aging melon of mine, but are you still running the OME coil overs with those 1.5" top spacers and the rear AAL with shackles?

Nope, recently changed over to the Nisstec MK 84 coilovers with 1 inch spacers. I needed heavier springs, so I took the opportunity to get extended travel struts. However, I didn't need extended brake lines with the OME/spacer setup, either.

... And I understand the whole 'aging melon' thing. I often suffer the same condition, albeit with a (relatively) young melon.

jhberria

Adventurer
Ordered a set of Maxtrax MKII in olive drab with mounting pins. Hopefully they'll be waiting for me when I get home from the Mojave in a week.

I'll also be installing my rear bumper, after I finish painting it.

I'm looking at doing a trip up to the Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula in February, then MOAB in the late spring.

Anyone here looking to spend a week in MOAB around the April timeframe? :)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Ordered a set of Maxtrax MKII in olive drab with mounting pins. Hopefully they'll be waiting for me when I get home from the Mojave in a week.

I'll also be installing my rear bumper, after I finish painting it.

I'm looking at doing a trip up to the Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula in February, then MOAB in the late spring.

Anyone here looking to spend a week in MOAB around the April timeframe? :)

Sounds like some good stuff coming up. I'm jealous. I wish I could do Moab this April.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12