Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

jhberria

Adventurer
Finally, I spent the 4th of July weekend exploring the Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Forest. Particularly, I drove the well-known Hurricane Ridge route to Obstruction Point Road, and hiked the Olympic ridge line. If you were ever considering visiting this area: stop considering, just do it. The hiking is great, and the trail I hiked terminated at a crystal blue glacial lake. Also....I found snow. A bit of a novelty on The 4th of July.

IM1RU

Observer
I was just up there picking up my trailer from VMI, staying at Salt Creek campground. I drove the Hurricane pass road about a mile past the parking lot. It was raining and had been for two days, totally socked in with clouds. We just said screw it and went back down. I really wish it had been better weather. The views (your pics) are awesome, I wish like hell I'd been able to see it.

RockyZuk

Observer
Love the build and all the adventures! I am waiting to save a few more bucks to finally get around to lifting my 2006OR. It's long overdue...

jhberria

Adventurer

Thanks man. You made it safely to PA, I'm assuming?

I was just up there picking up my trailer from VMI, staying at Salt Creek campground. I drove the Hurricane pass road about a mile past the parking lot. It was raining and had been for two days, totally socked in with clouds. We just said screw it and went back down. I really wish it had been better weather. The views (your pics) are awesome, I wish like hell I'd been able to see it.

Yeah, Hurricane Ridge is a trip best reserved for a clear day. The vistas and wildlife are well worth a lengthy drive to get there.

Love the build and all the adventures! I am waiting to save a few more bucks to finally get around to lifting my 2006OR. It's long overdue...

I appreciate it. Don't hesitate to get out there with your truck in its current form. This platform is perfectly capable of back country exploration in its stock form, as are most body on frame 4x4s. Don't get yourself into one of those "for want of a nail, the kingdom was lost" scenarios. Work with what you got.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Trucks coming together nicely, unfortunately, as you know, it never ends! Quick question, how are your sway bar end-links holding up? How many miles on your truck?

jhberria

Adventurer
After 32k miles, I've gone through two drivers side sway bar end links, currently on my third. One of those was before I even lifted the truck. However, I recently removed my front sway bar so that should no longer be an issue. The handling characteristics of the truck did not change that much, thanks in part to the aftermarket suspension.

bijanjames

Adventurer
After 32k miles, I've gone through two drivers side sway bar end links, currently on my third. One of those was before I even lifted the truck. However, I recently removed my front sway bar so that should no longer be an issue. The handling characteristics of the truck did not change that much, thanks in part to the aftermarket suspension.

I agree. I also just removed mine with HD OME springs the difference is minimal. I'm at 32k also.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey man thanks for the shoutout. Great trip reports, looks like you've been having a blast lately.

That bumper looks killer man! Told you it would look great on there. Need some more lights now :D

jhberria

Adventurer
Hey man thanks for the shoutout. Great trip reports, looks like you've been having a blast lately.

That bumper looks killer man! Told you it would look great on there. Need some more lights now :D

Thanks man. There's no doubt it looks good. Some people don't dig the ARB bumpers on Xterras, but I'm in love with it.

...and of course, there's always room for MOAR LIGHTZ!!! Hah.

jhberria

Adventurer
I ventured out to Capitol State Forest just south of Olympia today. The overcast skies and sporadic rains provided a welcomed relief from the recent heat. No real rough stuff, just graded roads. There were some decent views when I got into the higher altitudes.

Use #217 for a Gobi ladder: climbing on top of your truck for photographic vantage points.

Also snapped some better pictures of the new bumper and lights now that I managed to get the X into its natural habitat.

I'm really impressed with the IPF lights. I don't know much about lighting/electronics, but the housings seem stout and the output is great.

Overall, it was a good use of a Saturday.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I was over on the Olympic peninsula for 2 years, how did we not run into each other, I have literally been to the same places you have, multiple times.

jhberria

Adventurer
I was over on the Olympic peninsula for 2 years, how did we not run into each other, I have literally been to the same places you have, multiple times.

I just moved up here in June. Before that, I was in Arizona for 8 months and spent my whole life prior to that on the east coast. Any tips or suggestions on fun places to hit out here? Fun trails or scenic areas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12