Just Bought My First Toyota: A 2008 Tacoma Access Cab

Jeff H

Adventurer
My girl and I managed to get out and enjoy the warm weather that's finally here. We headed to Presque Isle State Park which is a peninsula that extends into Lake Erie.

Prime parking spot

It can be pretty busy in the summertime there but I found a spot that is tucked away so it was nice!

I also managed to clean up my coilovers last night in preparation for my seal kit arriving Wed.

They cleaned up rather nicely!

Jeff H

Adventurer
So I've been accumulating more goodies for my suspension install. Hoping to get it finished and installed in the next 3 weeks.

90's Suburban Donor Leafs

I plan on cutting these up and adding two or three leafs to the main Toyota leaf.

All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Bilstein 5125s from DownSouth Motorsports, and my DR/Icon Rebuild Kit

As I'm planning on driving to DC next weekend to visit some of the GF's fam I decided it was time to install a much needed road-trip mod...

Cruise!

Sourced the cruise stalk from a Prius in a yard and have the clutch switch and side cover on order. Not bad for about $60 total in parts! Thankfully my truck was pre-wired for it.

Azazruk

How much towing have you done? I have the same set up 4 cyl, 4x4 & 5speed so curious if you have any advice. Will be towing from CA to NJ in June. Thanks

Jeff H

Adventurer
How much towing have you done? I have the same set up 4 cyl, 4x4 & 5speed so curious if you have any advice. Will be towing from CA to NJ in June. Thanks

I've only towed a small 4x8 trailer regularly. I did tow a 6x12 UHaul trailer once and the truck handled it. Probably won't break any speed records uphill and you'll have frequent downshifts. How heavy is the trailer you're planning to tow?

Azazruk

Renting a 4x8 from u haul and don't anticipate more than 2,500 all loaded up. Have crossed the Rockies and Sierras multiple times so am ready for the reduced speeds and down shifting gues it's good for not getting tickets. My concern is possible overheating engine or burning breaks on the downhills.
Thanks for your input and sorry to jack your thread.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Renting a 4x8 from u haul and don't anticipate more than 2,500 all loaded up. Have crossed the Rockies and Sierras multiple times so am ready for the reduced speeds and down shifting gues it's good for not getting tickets. My concern is possible overheating engine or burning breaks on the downhills.
Thanks for your input and sorry to jack your thread.

The truck should handle that weight fine. Just keep an eye on things and engine break where necessary to save your brakes.

uscg2008

Explorer
My girl and I managed to get out and enjoy the warm weather that's finally here. We headed to Presque Isle State Park which is a peninsula that extends into Lake Erie.

Prime parking spot

It can be pretty busy in the summertime there but I found a spot that is tucked away so it was nice!

I also managed to clean up my coilovers last night in preparation for my seal kit arriving Wed.

They cleaned up rather nicely!
What did you use to clean up your coil overs?

Gab124

Cool thread, subd. i also have a 4banger access and have been building for several months. Good trucks, I have unfortunately made time to mod, but sadly not to get her out to play in the dirt! Hopefully soon.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Cool thread, subd. i also have a 4banger access and have been building for several months. Good trucks, I have unfortunately made time to mod, but sadly not to get her out to play in the dirt! Hopefully soon.

Thanks! I haven't been able to do as much exploring yet as I would like either. I plan on doing a little wheeling once I get my suspension done.

Dang they cleaned up really nice. Im going to have to try that when I rebuild mine.

Thanks! I was quite surprised they cleaned up as well as they did just using polish and a drill.

Jeff H

Adventurer
I finally got around to installing my DR coilovers. The passenger side went together without a hitch but the drivers side lower shock mount bolt wouldn't fit through the coilover bushing. It was a pain but I finally was able to mill out the bushing enough to allow the bolt to pass through. The ride up front is much improved from the crappy ride of stock blown struts. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Right now they are just set to be somewhat level. I'll crank them up once my rear suspension is finished up and I can get a proper alignment.

Nice and rebuilt

I also picked up a Gemtop commercial cap from a gentleman in Ohio this weekend. I like the windoors and the all metal construction of the commercial caps. A little sanding and a fresh paint job and it'll be as good as new. I plan on building it up with a proper sleeping/storage setup once the cap is refinished.

Quick cell phone pic of it installed

Jeff H

Adventurer
So we finally were able to pull away from our busy lives and head out to do some exploring/camping a few weekends ago. We packed up the truck and headed east towards the Allegheny National Forest in Warren and McKean counties. We had a general idea of where we wanted to stay but I had never been to the area so the challenge of finding a place to camp was in the back of my mind.

Headed east towards Corry, PA on Rt 89

After driving through Warren, PA the roads became less and less familiar. I was kind of driving aimless towards the last spot I had seen on my iPhone Google map and was headed towards Kane, PA on Rt. 6. Of course as one would know when you get out into the middle of nowhere cell phone GPS no longer works! And I had forgotten the paper map I had printed earlier in the day. So now the thought of the unknown was starting to sink in. Where were we going to be staying? Would we make it to camp in time? Once I got to Kane we got cell service back for a bit and I was able to find a spot on the map that I had camped at before called Tracy Ridge. Goal. We headed north on Rt. 321 and lost cell service, again. It was definitely time to install my Nexus 7 tablet with GPS. Next trip! We were really wanting to settle in somewhere and relax. We got closer to a National Forest campground and decided to check it out. It was entirely full. And not exactly what we had in mind. So back to the original plan of camping on Tracy Ridge.

We continued heading north, my adventurous side longing to explore every unmarked dirt path we passed, but I knew we needed to find camp. Sleeping in the back of the truck was slowly creeping into my mind as I drove for what seemed like forever. Eventually we came up to the Rt. 59 and Rt. 321 junction. Wait, I could've taken Rt. 59 from Warren and saved an hour? Hmm. Low and behold on the corner was a National Forest Ranger Station. Finally! A place with some maps. I pulled into the lot and grabbed every map of interest I could get my hands on. Now we were getting somewhere.

We found a sheet that listed dispersed camping suggestions off of forest roads and decided to try 176. So we were off! Turning onto the marked gravel road now all we had to do was find a good spot off the road. After only about 10 minutes and not seeing a single soul, she spotted a place on the right. That'll do!

We were starving and decided to make a quick dinner after we set up the tent. It was getting dark quickly underneath the forest canopy.

Quesadillas!

At this point we couldn't see much so we tried to build a fire but no can do. The awesome amounts of rained we had received over this summer soaked everything and it wouldn't stay lit. Scratch that idea! We decided the best thing to do was get in the tent and settle down for the evening. Just in time for the rain to start. And it rained and stormed the entire night. Finally after a long, sleepless night the morning came! We were able to see how awesome our campsite really was!

I made breakfast while she decided to try out the Helio to take a shower. I cooked up some spicy sausage, scrambled eggs, added some cheese to a tortilla and voila! Breakfast burritos.

After breakfast and a shower we decided to explore the creek. It was pretty awesome having that right in our camping spot!

Theresa checking out the creek

We washed up our dishes and decided to pack up the truck and do some exploring. The humidity was high and the flies started to become vicious.

Using the Helio to wash dishes

Truck (as we call him) getting loaded up

We took off and I wanted to explore some more of the forest roads

Theresa became an awesome navigator this trip

Jeff H

Adventurer
We decided to head to Rimrock to check it out. I had never been there and it was definitely something I wanted to see.

Some of the wildlife along the trail

The view at the overlook

Some of the rock formations at Jake's Rocks

We decided to head back home that day so we could spend Sunday cleaning up everything and the weather was looking very grimm anyway! I found one last trail that was about 7 miles long that would take us back to Warren, PA and then finally Erie. It was a great trip overall and was a good trial run of the equipment and ourselves! We plan on heading out more before the summer ends (did it really ever begin?) and hope to continue to explore! The Allegheny Forest is huge and is only a few hours away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger